HOT ISSUE: What is the Proper Way of Transporting a Dog ?

JG55

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm no Romney fan, but am of two minds about the dog riding on top of the car.

On one hand, my dawgs love to ride and like to call shotgun so they can hang their heads out the window. They are part of the family. But they like to hang their heads out the window. They like the wind in their teeth.

Have seen lots of dawgs riding in the back of pickup trucks and they seemed to be liking it fine. I never let my dogs do that because didn't trust them to be smart enough not to jump out at highway speed. Other folks got smarter dogs I guess.

Anyway, if a dog likes riding in the back of a pickup, then he would probably like it just as good riding on top of the car? Dunno.

I'm no Romney fan, but am of two minds about the dog riding on top of the car.

On one hand, my dawgs love to ride and like to call shotgun so they can hang their heads out the window. They are part of the family. But they like to hang their heads out the window. They like the wind in their teeth.

Have seen lots of dawgs riding in the back of pickup trucks and they seemed to be liking it fine. I never let my dogs do that because didn't trust them to be smart enough not to jump out at highway speed. Other folks got smarter dogs I guess.

Anyway, if a dog likes riding in the back of a pickup, then he would probably like it just as good riding on top of the car? Dunno.

Except the dog was scared enough to s**t itself so bad that they had to stop and wash it off the car. It's one thing to allow your dog to ride in the back of a pickup truck if it doesn't mind, but I think on top of the car is a little much.

Guest lostpass

If this election comes down to eating a dog as a kid versus tying a dog on top of a car....

I suppose you could make the argument....

Are people serious about this? If so....

Who has two thumbs and does't care about twenty years ago when it comes to dogs?

This guy.

If this election comes down to eating a dog as a kid versus tying a dog on top of a car....

Who has two thumbs and does't care about twenty years ago when it comes to dogs?

This guy.

Who has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap? :rofl: .... love that show.

This guy.

Pure awesome.

Edited by TMF 18B

Unfortunately Obama was a child who didn't know better. Romney was just an efing idiot.

I am not sure what Romney did is any worse than letting your dog run lose in the back of a pickup.

I am not sure what Romney did is any worse than letting your dog run lose in the back of a pickup.

Neither are something I'd do to my dogs, but the back of a pickup truck seems to be more widely acceptable than on top of your vehicle.

There are obviously diffevent levels of love and care where pet owners are concerned. I wouldn't tie my dogs to a tree, nor would I leave them in penned up in a small enclosure in the back yard. But both somehow seem perfectly acceptable to a great number of people around here. To each his own, I guess.

Mine rides where ever she wants. Some times she rides beside me in the seat then other times in the back of the truck. I just leave the sliding glass open and she will go back and forth as she pleases. She is part of the family and has been for 11 years.

Guest Lester Weevils

Yeah I think tieing dogs out or keeping em in small pens is not something I would do to my dogs except very limited circumstance. Ferinstance the rare times I go on vacation, if the dogs were capable of considering the decision, then they would probably prefer to be tied out an hour here and there during the vacation trip, compared to getting put "in prison" for a week boarding at the vet. The vet folks are real nice but am pretty sure the dogs would rather go along.

I don't hunt or know much about dogs, but have seen hunters and military/police with armor-plated dog pens they put in pickups or other vehicles. Have seen em over-nighting at motels I've stayed at, the the dogs stay in those pens near 24/7 except for excercise sessions when on the road, as best I can tell. So its not like military/police do much different than some good old boy with an 8X8 dog pen in his back yard. As far as I can tell, which might be wrong. Am not saying it is what dogs would like, but just seems accepted policy.

Being as a lot of people can't afford fences, if we made it against the law that dogs can't stay in small pens or tied out, then maybe lots of dogs would have to be put down. Dunno if a dog in a pen would rather be dead or in a pen most of the time. Its hard to figure.

Maybe there are dogs who don't like to ride, but every dog I've had would rather ride than eat unless they might be real hungry. They really dig it. Put out a pan of dog food then open the door on the truck, and they'll jump in the truck rather than eat the food. I wouldn't drive mine loose in the back of a pickup but I don't recall seeing a dog riding in the back of a pickup that didn't look like he was having a fine time, enjoying the trip. Maybe they like riding in the back of a pickup in a pen, or on top of a car in a pen, just as good. Or not. Dunno.

Dog trainings books say you need to crate-train young dogs and they get to where they like the security of the crate and will go in the crate voluntarily in a thunderstorm or when they want to get away from it all. Ain't arguing with the experts, but my dogs have all confided in me that crates are cruel and unusual punishment and they don't like it one little bit. :)

My dogs are crated when we leave the house. When we are home they will voluntarily go in the crate and sleep.

It's not like Romney tied the dog to the roof with a leash Chevy Chase style. People transport dogs in crates and dog boxes all the time. Ever seen rabbit or coon hunters? Ever dog is in a box. Plus we are assuming it was an open crate. The plastic crates if turned with the door to the rear wouldn't even put significant wind on the dog.

Guest TankerHC

Dogs love to hang thier heads out of windows and ride outside.

Experts estimate that dogs can catch a whiff of something that’s one million times less concentrated than what humans can detect. With so much sniff power, it’s hardly surprising that they stick their heads out car windows. They could not care less about the scenery. What they’re after are smells. If you’re driving through town at 30 miles an hour and your dog has his nose out the window, he knows where the bakery is, where the butcher shop is and which street leads to the local McDonald’s.

Dogs assume a characteristic expression when they put their faces into the wind: Their upper lips curl, their noses wrinkle, their eyes partly close, and their ears fold back. It looks as though they’re experiencing a moment of ecstasy (which they probably are) but mainly they’re concentrating. It’s as though they’re closing down all the rest of their senses to focus on this one.

Edited by TankerHC

My dogs have always ridden inside like the family member they are. We have more important issues in this country than who ate dog or allowed the dog to ride on top of the car.. So what is the temperature in the cargo bay of an airliner where your dog rides if he is shipped?

oldogy

My dogs have always ridden inside like the family member they are. We have more important issues in this country than who ate dog or allowed the dog to ride on top of the car.. So what is the temperature in the cargo bay of an airliner where your dog rides if he is shipped?

oldogy

That's what is so hilarious. We could go down the list of diversions this president and media has shown their butt on while behind the scenes France is going down the drain and we will soon follow. Fast and Furious is being ignored along with several other scandals, racial divide is at an all time high while being agitated by the president himself.....just to name a few.

Your sig line is dead on - Washington needs an enema.

But at least we can still make lite of the silliness without being censored......yet.