looking for inexpensive rifle to shoot besides .22

rockman6

I am a 'fan' of the .22 WMR cartridge. That said, I can't really say that shooting my Marlin 925M (.22 WMR bolt rifle) is all that much more exciting from a 'blast and roar', recoil perspective than any of my .22 LR rifles. Mostly, it is just a little louder (which is really more noticeable from my WMR handguns than from the rifle.) I do believe that the WMR would be more effective at longer ranges and/or on medium sized animals (say, coyote sized or so - although I haven't shot any 'live' targets with it, yet) than LR but that really doesn't translate to that much of a difference from behind the rifle. Now, if Kel Tec's RMR-30 (carbine version of their PMR-30) ever gets rolling and I manage to find one of those with a price I am willing to pay then that might change. I'm not really even interested in a PMR-30 but popping off 30 WMR rounds from a carbine without a reload sounds like a lot of fun.

I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine. It is fun to shoot and more accurate than such an inexpensive carbine has any right to be. Where I live, there are no streetlights, there are lots of trees and unless the moon is full it can be pretty much pitch black outside at night. I have an HD shotgun with a mounted light but I also put a laser/light combo on my Hi Point in case I have to check out something going 'bump' outside during the wee hours. Mostly, that plus the red dot sight that sits on top of the Hi Point carbine just make it a lot of fun for punching holes in zombie 'head' targets I sometimes print off but I wouldn't hesitate to call on it to defend myself if the need arose. I just wish Hi Point would make some higher capacity mags.

I also have a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Now there you are getting into some fun blast and roar. The only problem, for me, is that I mostly shoot in my back yard (or next door with my mom in her back yard or next door on the other side with my brother in law in my sister's back yard.) That being the case, I am usually not shooting at ranges that I consider appropriate for the Mosin. In fact, I usually end up shooting handguns. If I shoot rifles it is usually my .22LR rifles (because they are soooo cheap to shoot.) However, I'd have to say that the Hi Point carbine is pretty fun to shoot at shorter distances, as well.

One other thing to consider is, unless you already have a wide range of .22LR action types that just aren't 'doing it' for you, maybe you really just need a different action type. For instance, I think shooting semiauto .22 LR rifles is okay. Nothing real exciting but okay. A year or so back, however, I got ahold of a basic Henry lever action .22 LR and it makes shooting .22 LR a lot more fun, for me. I am decently accurate with it using the open sights, too.

Edited by JAB

I shot about 100 rounds through Keltec RMR-30 Serial #1 a few weeks ago (as noted above, .22 Mag). It is actually an impressive shooter, and I would love to have one. This one has had several updates, but I hear the production models will be even better

B.

Edited by R_Bert

When thinking about the price of surplus ammo keep this in mind; What is cheap today is not necessarily cheap tomorrow. Likewise, what is expensive today may be cheaper later. I have watched most surplus prices go through high and low cycles. For 8mm Mauser in particular, it has gotten cheap, then expensive, then cheap again. There is still a LOT of 8mm in inventories overseas. We just need a State Department that will allow it in the country.

I'll plug the HP 9mm carbine. Mine has been flawless after the initial 200 rounds. I also "broke in" the mags which entails loading them with 8 rounds and letting them sit for 2 weeks. I did not have to tweak the mag lips, which is sometimes necessary.

The only downside is limited capacity with 10 round mags...

The 9mm Hi Point carbine is a fun paper puncher.. and steel ringer! I'm out to 125 yards, and eats anything I feed it, even my dime a piece reloads.

the walmart steel is what $5 for 20 223 and $8 for 50 22 mags? would have to be a massive bulk buy, not a box here & there, and not a walmart trip.

My bad. It is cheaper box for box, but you are correct in saying that there are a few more rounds in the 22 Mag box. :)

Last box of .22 mag I bought was about $10 for 50, and like others have said it really doesn't do any more for me plinking than .22 LR. I have to suggest the Mosin as well, best bang for the buck in the gun world with spam cans of 440 rounds going for under $90.

Guest agt.dealer

What about 7.62x25?its dirty but cheap and fun!can be found in ar uppers,smg style,rifles and pistols.you can pick up 500rds for about $100!!