Any lefties?? (Not voting orientation)

So I'm left handed (they stopped beating that out of people apparently) and left eye dominant. Though the real question is applicable to righties too.... while looking for IWB holsters (no recommendations necessary, have plenty) I've realized a lot of people carry on their backside differently. I carry between 7-8 o'clock depending on placement of belt loops in different pants. So 4-5 o'clock for rightside.

A lot of people I've seen will carry with the bottom of the magazine facing their shooting hand and this seems dangerous to me. I carry with my barrel paralell to my leg and my magazine across the back. I did ask one employee of a gunstore I saw wearing like this if he realized he was having to draw across several vital organs & he seemed unconcerned. It requires a different muscle group to draw and clear the body then curve to arc & bring to target. It seems like a dangerous extra step when a arm twist like that can be stopped be with minimal force by an assailant compared to the way I'm doin this? Once I clear the holster I only have to swing up & out ad raise my arm to be on target as opposed to drawing an L across my body. Am I thinking this through too much or does anyone agree with me?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a lefty, but right eye dominant, so I shoot as a right. Carry OWB right side between 3 and 4.

My stepmother actually tried to beat the lefty out of me but I must have to much of my real mom in me, stuborn as heck.

I carry at 4-5. It sounds like the dangerous way to carry you describe would be considered small of back. I can't figure out what would make you want to have to contort your arm that much to draw and muzzle sweep yourself.

I think I understand what you're saying. Some people carry "butt-forward", right? I'm with you, it makes no sense.

For that matter, I don't carry behind the midline either. I prefer "appendix carry". Between 1 and 3 o'clock for a righty. Doesn't print when bending over and I can see immediately if my shirttail has ridden up over my pistol. I also think retention is easier.

Will

Let me add a sub question to this, have you lefties found it difficult to cross train to right handed shooting? I'm a lefty but I believe I'm right eye dominant, I'd love to train to shoot rightie just to make holsters easier to find.

Regarding right handed shooting I'm probably 10-15% less accurate than left handed but I can write with either hand. It's a right handed world..I didn't even know they had left handed scissors until I was almost twenty & they feel too awkward to me now.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a lefty, but right eye dominant, so I shoot as a right. Carry OWB right side between 3 and 4.

My stepmother actually tried to beat the lefty out of me but I must have to much of my real mom in me, stuborn as heck.

Same.

The downside is the both my wife and daughter are right handed left eye dominant. And I don't know how to deal with that. Learning to shoot right handed made since in a right handed world.

Let me add a sub question to this, have you lefties found it difficult to cross train to right handed shooting? I'm a lefty but I believe I'm right eye dominant, I'd love to train to shoot rightie just to make holsters easier to find.

It wasn't an issue for me at all. It is as natural as breathing to me now to shoot with either hand. But to be honest, I gravitate to my right hand at this point in life.

Same.

The downside is the both my wife and daughter are right handed left eye dominant. And I don't know how to deal with that. Learning to shoot right handed made since in a right handed world.

I'm right-hand/left-eye. I shoot handguns right-handed. RIfles and shotguns go on the left shoulder. It has worked well for me for 37 years.

Will

Left-handed/right-eyed shooter here. For left-handed/right-eye or right-handed/left-eye shooters, it is far and away much easier to use a standard stance (isosceles, weaver, whatever) and simply rotate your head 10 degrees and use your dominant eye than it is to become a right-handed shooter. Holster/accessory availability has not been an issue for me, but I usually buy the good stuff. Also, there are occasionally hidden benefits to shooting right-handed guns left-handed. We don't have to worry about riding the slide stop and accidently locking the slide open with a high thumbs grip. Also, most right-handed mag releases are perfectly placed for lefties to hit with their trigger fingers. I've never understood the need for ambi mag releases--with most guns, hitting the mag release with my thumb (while shooting right-handed) has always been harder.

Edited by deerslayer

I am a left handed transplant. I was ambi before, but tghis caused me to be onlty right handed. I cut off my right trigger finger 2 years ago and tore the tendons (??) in my right elbow also. So, I learned to shoot left and I am almost as good as I was right. I still use my right holsters because I cannot find a way to carry left that feels "right".

Ah, finally a topic on left handers! I am a left handed and right eye dominant. When it comes to shooting handguns, I shoot left handed and just turn my head slightly to use the right eye. As far as trying to shoot right handed...I just can't do it well. Only thing I've ever been able to shoot right hand was my mother's Colt .38 snubnose, and I could only shoot that right handed without the left hand. Probably has something to do with how I was holding it.

My first hand gun and the one I have shot the most is my FNX, which has ambi controls for safety, decocker, slide stop, and mag release. The mag release is oversized, so it's very comfortable for me to get my short fat thumb to press it. Lately, I've began shooting my M&P Shield, which does NOT have an ambi mag release, and the mag release is in a good enough spot for me to pull my left hand middle finger back to press the mag release. I'm still training with this. The slide stop is a non-issue for me, because I always use the slingshot method so it's the same motion for all handguns.

Holster shopping in brick-and-mortar stores for holsters is impossible for me, since I always get the "whaaat?" look when I say I'm looking for left handed holsters. This means I've ordered my Crossbreed Supertuck and most recently my Theis Holster online, since custom order is the only way I can get left handed holsters reliably.

The only things I know of that I do left handed are write, eat, and shoot. Everything else is right handed. But for some reason it just feels too weird to shoot handguns* right handed.

*One caveat = when I play paintball, I shoot right handed. You would think this translates to me shooting long arms right handed, but no, I shoot those left handed as well. I'm a freak of nature!

Wow there are a lot of us lefties that are right eye dominant and shoot right handed.

I golf, shoot guns and bows all right handed even though i'm left handed.

I don't golf, but I shoot, and draw a bow right handed. I throw right handed. I play bass left handed. I used a mouse right handed (being an IT Tech it makes it easier when using someone else's computer, so I gravitated that way too.) I write, draw and eat left.

One benefit I found as a kid, a lot of folks expect a swing to come from the right, you can get two or three real good blows in before they realized what was going on, being a southpaw...

But then I grew up and got married. ;)