Qualifications for LifeFlight?

Guys, looks like they're going to train my Marine for flying helicopters. He sent me a note from the sandbox, looking ahead, thinking after service, and wondering what he would have to do to perhaps be a LifeFlight pilot. Anyone here know?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know for sure, but I talked to some of the guys at work one day. They were saying that the pilots are usually ex-military, and none of them have anything more than just basic medical training, i.e. they are not nurses or even medics. They only want them to fly and nothing else. I would think that flying for the military, especially in combat zones, would make a person especially desirable for such a position.

Most commercial and LEO helicopter pilots are former military. Helicopters are expensive to fly so it's hard to accumulate flight hours needed for those jobs without being taught on the government dime. He'll be well equipped for a life of flying if he so chooses. Remember state troopers and most large county Sheriffs dept have at least one helicopter and a couple dedicated pilots.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Good luck. Those jobs are coveted and protected by the current occupants aggressively. Can't blame them. They make a good money and its a stylish job. I imagine more than a few chicks are impressed by med-evac pilot credentials.

Guys, looks like they're going to train my Marine for flying helicopters. He sent me a note from the sandbox, looking ahead, thinking after service, and wondering what he would have to do to perhaps be a LifeFlight pilot. Anyone here know?

Regardless how it turns out please tell your Marine that we genuinely thank him for what he does for us. Will keep him in my prayers.

I know they have different types of licenses like helicopter then commercial. Then most places want x amount of hours in jet powered or whatever it's called. I would suggest if wanted to stay flying is after service applying to be a civillian pilot for like METRO PD. They pretty much can fly daily racking the hours up and training. And he wouldn't have to be a low payed cop who puts up with crackheads lol.

Rescue flight pilots around east tn are mostly ex military. I have a buddy who is a flight medic and he told me that they have to have a crazy amount of hours behind the stick before they're even looked at so most of them are ex military because no one else has the hours! Tell him that when he gets done serving our country that he just needs to start showing his face and making friends in the business and that will take him far...

I flew MEDEVAC for years in the old days. On a Huey. This was before it really went civilian/ commercial. It was the best tour of duty I ever pulled. It is for the young at heart.

Edited by R1100R

Steelharp, can't really answer your question, but would guess a military pilot would have a crack shot

if there is an opening. The pilots in "Nam saved our bacon, and especially mine, many times. They

are my heroes. Those boys could & would fly into anything. Lifeflight would be a piece of cake

compared to that enviornment.

Have him keep his feet wet & wait for an opportunity.

Thank him for his service & I wish him the best.

Most of the Air Medical Pilots are ex-military because it can be very hard for a civilian to get the minimum required flying hours. The few non-military pilots that I have known usually have past employment flying corporate helicopters or tourist flights. The positions don't come open very often because turn-over is very low. He should also check with Air Evac. They have bases scattered all over TN, KY, and other parts of the country.