Urban Sniper 10/22

48" long and weighs 9.5lbs.

29" barrel by Urban Rifle Supply

Receiver by Primary Weapon Systems (manual toggle "Fortner action")

Stock is ProMag Archangel Target with adjj butt plated for variable LOP

Optic is by BSA 1.5-3 lighted illuminated dot reticle

.22 short 10/22 magazine by Urban Rifle Supply

Why? To run a quiet backyard gray squirrel assassination rifle without going CLIII

Craig in Clarksville

urbancolibrasniper1022.jpg

• Like 1

It is going to be quiet for sure. And it should do well with just about anything you shoot.

I would like to see the velocity with the Aguila Super Maximums. They run an honest 1,750 fps out of a 20" barrel and I suspect they will do more out of this barrel.

At least it isn't a bull barrel or you would need to hire in a body builder to carry it around for you.

Dolomite

Craig, the last couple of builds I've seen of yours have been killer. Looking at the stuff you and Dolomite build really strikes home that the ability to do the work is only half the battle. You have to have the creativity to come up with the idea and the knowledge on what to add and when to stop adding to create this kind of stuff.

Excellent job!

That is a nice looking rifle. Having no experience whatsoever with custom builds, I hope you won't mind my asking you, Dolomite and some of the other folks a question:

If you are going to replace the stock, barrel and receiver - and I know that some folks also replace the trigger group and many (most) other internals, as well - doesn't that mean there is really nothing of the original 10/22 left? What I am wondering is, why buy a 10/22 in the first place rather than simply building the same custom rifle 'from scratch' by ordering pretty much the same parts and putting them together? Please don't think I am criticizing or anything - I honestly have no idea, have often wondered this very thing and would really like to know. Is the 'host' 10/22 simply for the serial number? Is that the only way to get a serial number for a .22 (as in, at least the way I understand it, when you build an AR you can order just a lower that has the serial number)?

Edited by JAB

The SSS may or may not stabilize in your gun. The require a faster twist than the 16 twist most 22's have. I will say that a couple of my guns will stabilize them to 25 yards or may longer.

The SSS rounds are the only rounds I will put in a 22 that might be called upon to save a life. Because of the shorter case they are more reliable and the extra weight will penetrate over 8 inches into ballistic gelatin.

As far as the drop of a short it is probably feet at 100 yards.

Dolomite

Why would someone put together a firearm that has only minimal similarities between it and the mass produced counterpart? I dunno, just bonkers I guess.

In any case, my main immediate goal is to have a fun backyard urban shooter without a CL III issue or significant ricochet potential. Plus with the new 2-7x28 scope this thing is rediculously cool looking and even balances pretty nicely at 9lbs.

If you want practical and cheap in long firearms go Marlin Mdl 60 .22LR, Savage Mdl 10 .270 and Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Anything more is just "guilding the lily."

I wonder how far it went.

And how it landed? I've seen squirrels jump out of trees and off my roof, to the distance of about 25/30 feet; from about the same height. Spalt on the ground , then run off. Gotta wonder if that hurts/injures them.

And how it landed? I've seen squirrels jump out of trees and off my roof, to the distance of about 25/30 feet; from about the same height. Spalt on the ground , then run off. Gotta wonder if that hurts/injures them.

Not a clue. I've seen them fall pretty far as well and just run off like nothing happened.

I've done that once, only I hit it. It was sitting there so I fired and it jumped an ran up a tree. Dad looked over at me and said "damn you suck at shooting." Right as he said that the squirrel feel out of the tree. Crowning moment.

Saw another clip of a similar squirrel launcher and the guy got probably a good 50 foot shot.