EDCing Fixed Blades

Am I correct in assuming that we can carry a fixed blade on the belt as long as it's under 4" blade length? Sub question: Anyone have any experience with Spyderco's Bill Moran Drop Point??

Am I correct in assuming that we can carry a fixed blade on the belt as long as it's under 4" blade length? ...

Yes, but if open carry, don't be totally surprised if you get checked out by a LEO now and then, depending on where you are. And remember, that "blade length" is almost assuredly gonna be measured from handle to tip, not just sharpened part.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I used to have that knife. Its a great blade especially with the adjustable kydex. I cant think of a better fixed blade thats under 4".

I also cant think of a situation where open carrying a fixed blade would be useful. For me, a pocket knife is much more comfortable and actually deploys quicker. Check out the Spyderco Endura. They make a beautiful stainless model.

All that being said, I prefer to open carry a gun instead.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

I got an ESEE 4 for this purpose, but it's too questionable in length...I need to get an ESEE 3 now.

I'd suggest giving them a look. Not exactly cheap at around 100 bucks, but they offer a great warranty and well, damnit, they're tough and come very sharp out of the bag (no box, you get a plastic bag!)

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=ESEE%203%20Series%20Knives&k=rat3&

I kinda want one of the venom green so I don't ever have to worry about losing it anywhere except maybe a haunted house.

ESEE%203%20VENOM%20GREEN%20MED.jpg

I got an ESEE 4 for this purpose, but it's too questionable in length...I need to get an ESEE 3 now.

I'd suggest giving them a look. Not exactly cheap at around 100 bucks, but they offer a great warranty and well, damnit, they're tough and come very sharp out of the bag (no box, you get a plastic bag!)

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=ESEE%203%20Series%20Knives&k=rat3&

I kinda want one of the venom green so I don't ever have to worry about losing it anywhere except maybe a haunted house.

I'm actually probably going to get an Esee in desert tan. They look awesome, and with a tek lok I can mount horizontal to my belt.

I also cant think of a situation where open carrying a fixed blade would be useful. For me, a pocket knife is much more comfortable and actually deploys quicker.

Really? Can't think of ANY situation where having a knife located on your belt that does not have to be opened is useful? Really?

ANY situation where you need a knife QUICKLY.

ANY situation where you only have 1 hand available to access the knife

ANY situation where you only have your non dominant hand available to access the knife.

A centerline carried small fixed blade is EXPONENTIALLY easier to access in a hurry than ANY folding knife. Whether we are needing it NOW to cut a seat belt or needing it NOW to cut our way out of a 2 on 1 clinch, the the small fixed blade carried on the belt in front of the body is going to be easier to access with either hand and make functional (since it does not have to be opened) than ANY folder carried in a pocket.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 1

I carry fixed blades.

ESEE Izula II, Hideaway Knife, S&W HRT Double Edge, Kabar TDI all work well Horizontal Carry placed between 10-11:00.

Reverse draw left hand or forward with right hand.

I sometimes carry bulkier knives at 3:00-4:00 (no Pistol or pistol in bag).

I have a Meyerco "Persian" that is an excellent value.

Look at the Spyderco "Street Beat" if you don't mind spending a bit.

It's on my list....

I have a Meyerco "Persian" that is an excellent value....

I do carry a fixed blade myself daily, a necker. And after trying a bunch of different ones of various price ranges, I found I like the inexpensive Meyerco Law Dog the best of all. So much so, that I had a better sheath made for it that cost a bit more than the knife itself.

LawDog.jpg

- OS

Really? Can't think of ANY situation where having a knife located on your belt that does not have to be opened is useful? Really?

ANY situation where you only have your non dominant hand available to access the knife.

A centerline carried small fixed blade is EXPONENTIALLY easier to access in a hurry than ANY folding knife. Whether we are needing it NOW to cut a seat belt or needing it NOW to cut our way out of a 2 on 1 clinch, the the small fixed blade carried on the belt in front of the body is going to be easier to access with either hand and make functional (since it does not have to be opened) than ANY folder carried in a pocket.

Do you EDC a fixed blade?

Is the Law Dog still in production?

No, I got it about a year ago, saw where it had ceased production, and grabbed another just to stash.

Still available here and there though. Unfortunately Google shows more shopping results than Bing.

Pretty sure I bought both of mine here;

http://www.bladehq.c...n=Bing Shopping

Sheath was "okay" but had better one made by Al Welke for about $40, sent him the knife.

- OS

Do you EDC a fixed blade?

Yes. I have carried a small fixed blade pretty much daily since 2005. I carry a spyderco Delica folder in my pocket (utility knife that does not scare people) and either a TDI LE knife, Cold Steel Braveheart, or a Clinch Pick on my belt. Mostly been rolling with the TDI lately. I also have "trainer" versions of each to actually use in training against resisting opponents. Against a resisting opponent, there is no question a small fixed blade on the belt is much easier to access than any knife in the pocket.

Yeah, I guess I should give you guys a little background. I run a Youtube Channel that is averaging 275-300 views daily, and I'm starting to earn about $40 a month in ad revenue. Youtube pays out in lumps of 100$+ so I'm about to get my first dump at the end of July. I've been asking my views that they wanted to see reviewed/used so they can get a data point on it, and an EDC fixed blade is close to the top of the choices. So my budget is around $100 for a quality blade... thus looking at the ESEE 3's.... preferably in tan to match my FDE AR.

• Like 1

I've been considering getting a CRKT Minimalist. These are getting rave reviews over on BushcraftUSA. But I do like the looks of the Lawdog.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=Minimalist

I have both the Wharncliffe and Bowie Minimalists...great little blades (with the emphasis on little) ... they are really like thick razors more than knives. Great for light utility work, desperation self defense if can get to eye/neck etc, but not long and/or robust enough for general daily utility use IMO. Would be a pain to cut down bunch of cardboard with, etc. for example.

But helluva nice design, good grip in fingers. Little pinkie stabilizer braided tassel came off my Bowie in a week, doesn't have place big enough to use para cord or anything to replace, no biggie though.

Good sheath, holds nicely, easy deploy; you surely don't even notice the thing, it's so light.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

http://www2.knifecen... Knives&k=rat3

I really like this.....Never thought about EDCing a fixed blade. Hmm.....gona have to rethink things.

A good spring assisted folder such as a Zero Tolerance 0300 in my pocket can be deployed as quickly as a fixed blade from a sheath and has the strength to do anything that I would ever need it for. I can open it just as fast with either my right or left hand and it only requires one hand to use. I myself prefer to carry a folding pocket knife. If the law allowed me to carry one with larger than a 4 inch blade, then perhaps I would change my opinion on this matter

A good spring assisted folder such as a Zero Tolerance 0300 in my pocket can be deployed as quickly as a fixed blade from a sheath and has the strength to do anything that I would ever need it for. I can open it just as fast with either my right or left hand and it only requires one hand to use. I myself prefer to carry a folding pocket knife. If the law allowed me to carry one with larger than a 4 inch blade, then perhaps I would change my opinion on this matter

I could be wrong, but I think you and Randy are talking two different things. I know Randy fairly well. He is approaching this entirely from a self defense standpoint, and knowing what he carries and seeing how he carries it, I think it would be much faster. In the interest of full disclosure, I have taken several classes from Randy. I would not want to get in a knife fight with him. Before I got my knife out of my pocket he would have already cut me several times. If my non-dominant hand wasn't functioning, I would be dead.

However, I also prefer to carry a folder. I know Randy is going to cringe, but I take the gamble that I will not have to pull my knife out for defensive purposes. That is why I carry a gun. ;)

Just to show that I did pay attention in some of the classes. I do carry my Professional Soldier from time to time. I have the sheath attached to a piece of Tek-Lok and it is positioned on my belt that I could get to it rapidly (with either hand) if I needed to.

Thanks Mav. Mav has been in class and seen the WHY of the WHAT. It is not because I just think it is cool. It is from actually working this stuff against non cooperative opponents.

And MAV, I won't cringe at you carrying a folder, as I go places (other states, foreign countries) where I can not carry a fixed blade. But if I CAN I will. It is THAT big a deal. And I do not have any illusions of fighting a knife duel. If I have to use a knife then it will be because I either do not have a gun on me, or I am tangled up with someone (or multiple someones) and the knife is the easiest tool to use to open up that clinch.

I have no doubt anyone here can pull an assisted open folder very fast...as long as no one is putting real forward drive type pressure on them and as along as no one has tied them up in a clinch.

There is a difference between pulling a folder standing upright with no one applying pressure to you and doing it with an adrenaline dump while someone is trying to cave your head in. Add someone trying to hit you , stab you or whatever, and move from standing to tangled up with someone on the ground, and suddenly the pocket carried folder suddenly becomes a lot less of a sure thing. In these situations pulling a blade from a belt is exponentially easier than pulling it from a pocket....especially if you are having to access it with the other hand.

So if you have never tried to access your folder with someone punching you (for real, not playing "patty cake") or with someone trying to keep you from deploying the knife, then you probably do not have a real contextual basis for what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

Randy,

You have my apologies as I was not veiwing this from a self defense situation, God forbid if I ever have to use a weapon in self defense however it will be a firearm and not a knive as my first choice,

And no I have never had to draw a knife when I was punched, every time I have been, I have punched back and the fight never escalated to the point I would need a knife.

Unfortunately in the countries that I work in I can not carry any knife no matter what blade length, fixed or folding so for the most part in my situation whenever I can carry any weapon it is a concealed hand gun so you and I have two totally different views on what a carry knife should be