Finally "Pulled the Trigger"

I've been wanting to get started reloading now for a couple of years. To begin with there was a real cash flow problem but I started collecting brass. Once there was a little extra cash I started buying a few die sets and other pieces necessary to reload. Bought some cast bullets from Tn Valley Bullets. Then finally was able to buy a press. Bought 5k primers from our buddy, David. Then the powder. Then it was like waiting for my 1st HCP to come in the mail! I wanted an experienced reloaded to come by and coach me in the 1st session.

Well today was that day. A friend from KY was in town and stopped by and got me up and running. I loaded 10 rds and then drove over to the TWRA range on Hobson Pk. It was a thrill to fire off my 1st loads!! They all fired perfectly!

I'm still a "baby" reloader" so extra attention will be the norm and not to see how many rds I can load an hour or anything like that. I'll still be watching forums like this for info. I gots lots to learn yet but at least now I can stop saying that I'm gonna be a reloader!

• Like 1

Way to go Man, I started on 12ga, now I have a Lee press, 40S&W dies, mold, shells and primers.

Gona pour some lead this weekend and have at it. That range is just down the road from the house.

And Caster is right, no money left.LOL

You'll never have a spare dime in your pocket again.

started reloading in 1973. been some of the best times that i have in the man cave. i spend lots of money on reloading/casting bullets. but i save lots of money in the long run. i did not know that tennessee valley bullets was back in business. i have been looking for them. i got some bullets, primers, and powder from them eight years ago when i was passing through their part of the state.

Congrats. I really enjoy reloading. My ammo only costs $3 per round now, due to the cost of all my cool reloading toys :). Seriously, it's one of the best things I've ever done. It has cut into my shooting time some. Sooner or later, I'll run out of space to put all the ammo, and will have to shoot up some of it :).

My ammo only costs $3 per round now, due to the cost of all my cool reloading toys :).

smilielol5.gif

That’s what I figured out when I was looking at top of the line Dillon Loaders and high end components.

I figured out that you would have to justify the costs on the ability to make custom loads; because I didn’t see any cost savings.

I didn’t need another expensive hobby. biggrin.gif

smilielol5.gif

That’s what I figured out when I was looking at top of the line Dillon Loaders and high end components.

I figured out that you would have to justify the costs on the ability to make custom loads; because I didn’t see any cost savings.

I didn’t need another expensive hobby. biggrin.gif

I don't have a Dillon setup, and probably never will. In reality, my stuff has probaby paid for itself. My rifle stuff cost some money, but you can't even buy some of the ammo I make with it. The pistol stuff probably paid for itself in the first couple of weeks.

If you go full geek, like Caster and Dolomite, you save a ton on the cost per round.

I started reloading when I got into 458 SOCOM. Factory ammo really is $3 per round. The best bullet is a buck, and the brass probably lasts through 10-15 firings. Powder and primer cost is almost insignificant.

The real deal... if I feel like burning through 300 rounds of .45 acp, I don't even think about the cost.

Edited by mikegideon

If you go full geek, like Caster and Dolomite, you save a ton on the cost per round.

Hey punk, who you callin a geek? Dolomite's a good guy, you shouldn't talk about him like that.

:rofl:

Seriously, yes, there is MONEY to be saved but if you're like some people who load to shoot and count your time, well, you'll never save a penny.

I, on the other hand, shoot to load. I love to reload. Probably more than actually shooting the stuff. Therefore my time will never have a dollar value.

Hey punk, who you callin a geek? Dolomite's a good guy, you shouldn't talk about him like that.

:rofl:

Seriously, yes, there is MONEY to be saved but if you're like some people who load to shoot and count your time, well, you'll never save a penny.

I, on the other hand, shoot to load. I love to reload. Probably more than actually shooting the stuff. Therefore my time will never have a dollar value.

You guys and your liquid tire weights :). Pistol ammo is so fast, I almost don't count the time. Rifle ammo is a different deal. More time consuming, but I normally get at least Black Hills quality for my efforts. Speaking of... I have 250 pieces of Blackout brass to trim, and here I am playing on the Interwebz

• Like 1

Money saved is buying bulk components and/or making your own. Once you start shooting 500 - 1000 rnds a month per flavor, time becomes the big issue. What is it worth to you? When I started about 10 yrs ago I had alot more time than money. Only difference now is I have less time...that's where Dillon Precision and David here on the boards helped me out. More shooting, great cost, less time reloading.

Money saved is buying bulk components and/or making your own. Once you start shooting 500 - 1000 rnds a month per flavor, time becomes the big issue. What is it worth to you? When I started about 10 yrs ago I had alot more time than money. Only difference now is I have less time...that's where Dillon Precision and David here on the boards helped me out. More shooting, great cost, less time reloading.

Yep. If I was shooting that much, I would have a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles.

I’m surprised some of you guys haven’t gone into it as a business. I would assume that’s how businesses like this got started. That’s a heck of a nice building and they only load one caliber (as far as I can tell).

http://setpointammo.com/

2 bucks per round. I can see a place in this world for those guys, maybe. Doesn't allow you to set neck tension. Only one powder choice (varget), and only one brass choice (Lapua). My two favorites, but... Since there's virtually NO brass prep required for Lapua, it's a prime/charge/shoot kinda deal on the first firing. I can't see the more anal guys buying in. Too many of them sort their cases and bullets by weight, tweak their neck tension, and maybe even turn the necks. Then, there's meplat uniforming and bullet pointing.

Somebody probably knows which market they're after. My bet... it's not the benchrest guys.