What Caliber for Dog?

In East Nashville Shelby Park is a popular place for people to walk, walk their dogs, etc. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, there are packs of feral dogs roaming around that will attack, especially other dogs. It is a city park and there are likely other people around. What would be the best caliber/platform for this application? I ask as someone who has never shot anything more animate than clay.

In the old days dogs were a problem for bicyclists so there was a "velo-dog" revolver invented, 5.6mm I think. I wondered what the modern equivalent would be.

And yes, I've thought about sprays.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the Taurus Judge. and for this reason, use the .410 shotshells, and replace the shot in the cartridge with rock salt. VERY effective. i have used this in a single shot shotgun and it flat out works.

might try alternating with .45 if you think you might need it.

i would suggest a 12ga. or maybe a 20ga. but i dont know of a handgun in either .

Guest eyebedam

My dad carries some snake shot type ammo in his j frame. It wouldnt kill a dog but it will def make them run & squeal a lil.

Guest darkstar

I was thinking snake shot as well.......get something with a mild report if it's to be used in the park....you know someone will call out SWAT if they hear anything. I'm wondering if those little .22 shotshells would work or if they are too tiny.....probably too small but for less noise you know? Or maybe even those primer only .22 rounds? might be enough to give a dog a second thought. I'm thinking stictly about noise considerations.

Guest Mugster

A .44 or a .45 handgun loaded with those snake shot shotshells, imo. At point blank, that should drive a dog off and possibly blind it if it if you shot it in the head from a foot or 2. If you had a revolver you could load a couple in the cylinder and if it didn't work you could follow up with something lethal.

Buckshot can and will bounce off the ground, no good for a park with people in it. Birdshot will too, but it dies off pretty quick if you wanted to go #6 birdshot or smaller in a .410. At point blank that would actually kill a dog I'd guess, or come pretty close.

Guest Boomhower

From a distance, 9mm FMJ only cripples a medium size begal :D....Shotgun works best......What's your objective in the event of a dog attack?

Guest gcrookston

When I hunted feral dogs in CO and LA, I used .223 (HK93 and AR15)... from a handgun standpoint, I would think anythink that would stop a man will stop a dog.

Guest Boomhower
I would think anythink that would stop a man will stop a dog.

Different folks have different opinions on what cal. it takes to stop a man. :D

If you are gonna hang it out the window and rid yourself of an annoying critter...a 1000fps .22lr right in the eye would work well. nobody would know where it came from.

If you are being attacked...well that is another story.

I have spent some time there an too noticed a couple of problem dogs. Not sure how many Raccoon or Opossum are round there, but some baited poison in the middle of one of those grass fields might do the job.

Guest mikedwood

Just hypothetically

I'd say a bow cause it's silent and pretty darn deadly, not so easy to conceal.

Anti freeze off the beaten path would probably take care of a few of them. I'd only do that if they were mean dangerous dogs that had no owners, even then probably not. It's a terrible way for one to go.

.22 to the head was a good idea.

Close range and you are getting attacked I'd use a Glock 19 with an Ashley Big Dot front sight.