Followed home

Howler

Son just got home and informed me a couple non english speaking guys followed him home from work. As he was leaving work when a couple punks, setting in the parking lot, rolled down the window and started taunting him. He told me his spanish is rusty but he still knows the bad words. He kept his head down, got in the car and headed home. They pulled in behind him turned on the brights and stayed behind him almost all the way home. No doubt they were looking for trouble. I don't know if they thought he was a delivery kid that was carrying cash or they were drunk looking for a kid to pick on. I asked him why he didn't call the police. I got the typical response "I don't know". :shrug: That's my boy. I told him to tell the other drivers and manager what happened. Also told him to keep his eyes open for them in the future and call someone if it happens again. Might be good time to remind the family (mine and yours) about the number of bad people out there.

• Like 1

Son just got home and informed me a couple non english speaking guys followed him home from work. As he was leaving work when a couple punks, setting in the parking lot, rolled down the window and started taunting him. He told me his spanish is rusty but he still knows the bad words. He kept his head down, got in the car and headed home. They pulled in behind him turned on the brights and stayed behind him almost all the way home. No doubt they were looking for trouble. I don't know if they thought he was a delivery kid that was carrying cash or they were drunk looking for a kid to pick on. I asked him why he didn't call the police. I got the typical response "I don't know". :shrug: That's my boy. I told him to tell the other drivers and manager what happened. Also told him to keep his eyes open for them in the future and call someone if it happens again. Might be good time to remind the family (mine and yours) about the number of bad people out there.

Sad that happened. People need to grow up. Glad your kid is safe though.

I've had that happen to myself and also my ex. She called me on her way home from church and said someone was following her. I told her not to come home but to the store just down the road and I would meet her there, I got there before she did. He saw her on her cell phone and sped off before she got there.

I thought a couple of times someone was following me, I didn't come straight home but circled around the block before I pulled in the driveway.

I figure best not to let someone know where you live.

• Like 1

I've had that happen to myself and also my ex. She called me on her way home from church and said someone was following her. I told her not to come home but to the store just down the road and I would meet her there, I got there before she did. He saw her on her cell phone and sped off before she got there.

I thought a couple of times someone was following me, I didn't come straight home but circled around the block before I pulled in the driveway.

I figure best not to let someone know where you live.

This. Never go home if someone is following you. Go somewhere very public.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

'nother reason I'm glad I didn't have any. Can't imagine worrying about this kind of crap.

Gives me a good idea though. I've got some spot lights that come off of cop cars. Been meaning to mount some on the top of my SUV. Maybe I'll turn two around backwards for just such occasions.

Did this happen in Knoxville?

Yes. He works at a pizza place on Kingston Pike. As he walked out the door the guys started yelling out of their SUV . My son has had spanish and could make out some of what they were saying, none of which was good. Being a little guy, less than 120lbs, he didn't make eye contact. After getting in his vehicle the hispanic duo pulled out behind him. He was followed from Kingston Pike all the way to Karns. They stopped and changed direction just one road short of the driveway. Who knows what was going through their head.

1. They believed he was a delivery kid who might have a handful of cash.

2. They were drunk and looking for a fight

3. They were drunk, looking for a fight, and seen what might be quick cash.

I was a little stunned that he never called me. I guess we've never talked about things like this. Anyway, he and I have learned a lesson. Him: call someone. Me: Communicate and plan better.

'nother reason I'm glad I didn't have any. Can't imagine worrying about this kind of crap.

Gives me a good idea though. I've got some spot lights that come off of cop cars. Been meaning to mount some on the top of my SUV. Maybe I'll turn two around backwards for just such occasions.

As the kids and I get older the only things I worry about are my kids. The thought of something happening to them weighs heavy on my mind daily. Both are at the age where you start letting go or you have just let go. My son is so non confrontaitional and my daughter is just the opposite. Both of which worry me.

This. Never go home if someone is following you. Go somewhere very public.

I would recommend either a police station, highway patrol, or in a pinch hospital. Hospitals generally have some kind of LEO presence, bringing people in on the way to jail among other things. Or find out where LE "hangs out" in your area, maybe there's a church or school parking lot that affords a good veiw of a high travel street where they spend some time waiting. Never make it easy to find out where you live, I wouldn't even go down my own street, to easy for the BG to leave off only to come back and see the car in the driveway.

Things like this will happen and there's no safe way to figure out why. Its unfortunate but we just have to assume the worst in people.

Glad your son made it home safe.

I've ran this scenario before, and have a plan, and a plan B. However anyone have advice for those of us that live in rural areas? I'm 15 miles from a police station and just about anything else. I had two guys (bear hunters) try to throw up a roadblock on me last year, which I fear a roadblock more than someone following me. Initially my plan if being followed is to just keep driving, however if I'm coming in from down and pass my house (I live on the main road that comes in from town) it's another 25 miles before I get to anything. Of course I always carry when I leave the house, and although I don't use cell phones I carry an old one to call 911 on if need be, not that it would do me much good with the coverage area out here.

i have this problem from time to time at gunshows

i never tell anyone at the gunshow where i am staying

always walk into motel room with gun in hand in bag

i have had several friends robbed 2 murdered both in florida

it pays to be aware of your surroundines and have a plan to escape troubled

• Like 1

Next time tell him to turn around and go back in the restaurant and call the cops. Don't even get in the car. A the very least, the manager can report them for loitering.

Not that she'd notice if someone was following her, but I've told my wife to just drive in circles. If they're really following, call 911 and just keep driving until the cops arrive.

Guest nysos

Not that she'd notice if someone was following her, but I've told my wife to just drive in circles. If they're really following, call 911 and just keep driving until the cops arrive.

I've found myself where someone was following me a couple times. They were always a result of someone with a really big temper driving on the road. I either honked my horn at them, because they weren't paying attention to green light or something along those lines, they get offended and start following me/tail gating, etc. Each time I pulled into my neighborhood and just drove a loop through it repeatedly, they usually caught on that I knew they were following me sometime through the second loop and would leave. No way would I even drive by the street I lived on.

One time I tried to make fun of the situation since I had spare time, being it was a Saturday afternoon. I took them through as many backroads as I could think of, trying to get them lost - alas they didn't play my game.

I've got some spot lights that come off of cop cars. Been meaning to mount some on the top of my SUV. Maybe I'll turn two around backwards for just such occasions.

One of my uncles and I were talking about pet driving peeves one day and the idiots that get on your tail with their brights on came up. I told him that I'd like to have a truck or SUV with offroad lights - including one light for 'backing up' that I could turn on if some moron were tailgating me with his brights on. He told me that he had just such a setup on his Jeep and that one night, when some idiot kept following/tailgating him with the brights on he finally had enough and flipped that backward facing light on. And that's when the blue lights came on. Didn't matter that the cop was in the wrong/acting like an idiot/driving in an unsafe manner in the first place.

One of my uncles and I were talking about pet driving peeves one day and the idiots that get on your tail with their brights on came up. I told him that I'd like to have a truck or SUV with offroad lights - including one light for 'backing up' that I could turn on if some moron were tailgating me with his brights on. He told me that he had just such a setup on his Jeep and that one night, when some idiot kept following/tailgating him with the brights on he finally had enough and flipped that backward facing light on. And that's when the blue lights came on. Didn't matter that the cop was in the wrong/acting like an idiot/driving in an unsafe manner in the first place.

That's one I'd like to go to court over. I'd like to have a talk with the judge over that one.

• Like 1

That's one I'd like to go to court over. I'd like to have a talk with the judge over that one.

You'd lose.

55-9-415. Operation of vehicle with lamps or spotlights facing backwards -- Penalty.

(a) (1) It is an offense for a person to operate any vehicle equipped with auxiliary lamps or spotlights facing backwards on a highway, street or roadway in this state when the lamps or spotlights are in operation.

(2) This section does not apply to any emergency vehicle or public utility vehicle.

(3) It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of the lamps or spotlights for lawful purposes while the vehicle is parked, but the use of the lamps or spotlights shall not interfere with a vehicle operating on a highway, street or roadway.

(B) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable only by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000).

You'd lose.

Wouldn't be the spot lights I'd wanna talk about. If I did it, I'd be cool with paying the fine. It'd be a cops behavior I'd wanna talk about. But, knowing what I know, it wouldn't matter, the cop is rarely in the wrong in the eyes of a judge.