Question about selling an automatic knife on this forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seller must have the item in hand. This protects all parties involved.

A problem that comes up with third party sales is a seller agrees to a sale then finds out the actual owner no longer has the item. This leaves the buyer without the item they agreed to buy and the seller being labeled as a welcher even though they had great intentions.

If a sellers agrees to sell something then cannot go through with it they are a welcher, pure and simple. Now there are extenuating circumstances but that is rarely the case. In most cases the seller either got a better offer or thought about it and decided the sale price is too low. I know how frustrating it can be to have a deal agreed upon only to have a seller back out.

And although we cannot force a seller to sell their item we can make sure they do not use TGO to do it again by banning them. Most welchers will welch again and anytime this happens it brings a bit of scepticism to any seller the buyer deals with again. And this only hurts members on both sides of the fence.

Dolomite

• Administrator

Although it is legal to sell automatic knives on this forum, I'm fairly certain it is against TGO's TOS to partake in third-party sales.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Correct. Per the Rules and Terms...

"Benefactors may post ads for sale or trade of items that they themselves own. Members may not make posts "selling this item for a buddy" or otherwise engage in 3rd party transactions."

• 3 weeks later...

If the knife is capable of being opened manually, is it then legal to carry? This stuff can be a little cryptic. It so, front openers are right out, I assume.

Just because it "can" wouldn't seem to matter as long as it "can" open "automatically" too.

From 39-17-1301

----------

"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

( B) Operation of gravity or inertia

-----------

So "gravity knives" like balisongs are considered switchblades here also.

This pretty much follows the federal definition also; most states that ban them have almost same wording.

The status of assisted openers has been clarified in federal statute and states have gone along with that also. I don't know of any state where assisted openers are considered illegal on that basis alone, although as always one could run into a LEO who doesn't understand or care about the distinction.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The inertia wording has me scared. My favorite Benchmade flips out with one hand when I hold down the blade lock. Is that legal?

Clearly you'd be in trouble in NYC where the cops reportedly try very hard to make knives open with wrist flips.

Common sense would suggest that here, somebody would have to really have an axe to grind to sting ya for that, but I suppose anything is possible.

Certainly no legal advice from moi.

- OS

Wow. I have a Butterfly knife, never knew it was considered a gravity knife by the law here.

Yes, Bali Song's Butterfly knives are considered gravity knives in most states, thus making them illegal to carry. I carried a Benchmade Bali Song the whole 4 years that I lived in Florida Legally with their Concealed Weapon permit. I wish Tennessee would relax the laws and use some common sense, people who are entrusted by the Law to carry a gun should be able to carry any knife they choose