Ruger Mini-14 or AR?

lshel

Everything's climbing up, ammo's getting shorter supply. Just got a notice from Sportsmans Guide that they can't supply even backordered 9mm.

I bought two Sports, $681 total from TN shop in Feb, and $665 total shipped from PSA in April.

Haven't seen any that would be $700 or less in hand since.

As Dolomite here will tell you "1:8 will stabilize anything that can fit in an AR15 magazine".

- OS

I didn't know you bought a second one. good rifles.

I didn't know you bought a second one. good rifles.

Liked it so much, and with prices/availability possibly to go totally wonky, bought one to just stash for now, haven't even fired it. PSA had that killer deal not long ago, so grabbed it.

I got back into guns at about the worst time 5 years ago, thought I might stay just a bit ahead of curve at least with this one.

- OS

I have had 3 mini's starting with the 180 series,and still own a 580 series to date,this one shoots real well and 100 yards it does the job.Then recently I picked up a DPMS Sportical,I really like the AR,seems a little more accurate at the same yardage,but its addicting to shoot.But in the end I will keep them both.Just a lot more goodies a person can find for the AR.

Liked it so much, and with prices/availability possibly to go totally wonky, bought one to just stash for now, haven't even fired it. PSA had that killer deal not long ago, so grabbed it.

I got back into guns at about the worst time 5 years ago, thought I might stay just a bit ahead of curve at least with this one.

- OS

It's not gonna go down in value. That one is a great value anyway. I have $1300 in my last one, and built it from stripped receivers.

Zen, baby Zen. Ya gotta hold yer mouth right and get rid of them negative waves. :)

- OS

I think someone's been watching too much Kelly's Heroes.

I got to second Steelharp's recommendation on the Saiga .223. Hard to beat it for the price. I've had 2 mini's and I will most likely not buy another (I didn't say never... this time) and am AR and shoot a lot of AR's in the Army. I like the Saiga, cause it's the simplest semi-auto I've ever seen, it runs like a scalded dog in a volcano and has good accuracy. It can also be had for a couple of hundred cheaper and is totally upgradeable.

Most brands that have been around for more than a couple of years are reputable and have interchangeable parts. Unless you are looking for something specific, I'd just buy whatever suits your fancy. The only really critical parts on an AR are the bolt, barrel and trigger parts. S&W makes a good rifle. So does Armalite, DPMS, Colt, Doublestar, and several others. I'm the cautious type, so I generally wait for a couple of years after something new comes out so that other folks can find all the problems ;-).

AR15.com is the place to answer all of your AR-15 questions.

Depends on what's important to you.

Accuracy: On paper the AR is more accurate than the Mini. Your mileage may vary, however. With iron sights I'm a better shot with my Mini than with my AR. Advantage: theoretically AR, but YMMV.

After market accessories: There are quite a few accessories for the Mini - stocks, rails, rings, etc.., but nothing like the AR. The AR is the lego of the firearms world. Advantage: AR.

Aesthetics: No contest. The Mini-14 can be dressed up to look like a tacticool black rifle just like the AR, but there's no way to make an AR look like a classic wood & steel rifle (the oddball wood furniture you can get for the AR hardly counts). Advantage: Mini-14.

Magazines: There are huge numbers of inexpensive, reliable AR mags out there. Mags for the Mini-14 are significantly more expensive and anything other than factory Ruger mags are of questionable reliability. Advantage: AR.

Reliability: Mini-14's are ridiculously reliable and will eat pretty much any ammo vaguely shaped like a .223 cartridge. AR's can be reliable, but can be much more picky about ammo. Advantage: Mini-14.

Parts availability: You can order every single part that makes up an AR from many, many web sites. Ruger is one of those annoying companies that refuses to sell a lot of their parts to anyone. Need the part replaced? Ship your gun to them. Advantage: AR.

It used to be that AR's were significantly more expensive, but that's no longer true. Advantage: Neither.

• Like 2
Guest ThePunisher

Just bought a SW MP15 Sport today at D&T Arms for $732.68 cash out the door. Just beat another gentleman that had read on TGO about the Sport at D&T.

Edited by ThePunisher

I have owned a Mini 14 and an AR. I don't own the Mini 14 any longer and kept the AR for all of the reasons discussed above. However, if you don't want to sell your rifle, there is an option. The accuracy issues are related to barrel flex due to the pencil barrel on the older Minis, which is more pronounced as the barrel heats up. One fix is to install a barrel strut like the Mo-Rod or the Accu-Strut.

http://www.mo-rod.com/

http://www.accu-strut.com/

I have 2 AR's that stay in the safe, I dont care that much about them. If Obamy wasnt in office Id probably sell one or maybe both. I have a mini 14 that I love. Just personal preference I guess.

Yeah, been meaning to eventually get an AR, but political climate and another possibility of price trends like 5 years ago made me go ahead and grab a couple myself. I like them fine -- they're reliable accurate modular machines, but the Mini is just as zombie effective, plus has soul. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest ThePunisher

As Dolomite here will tell you "1:8 will stabilize anything that can fit in an AR15 magazine".

- OS

What is the highest grain ammo that will fit a AR 15 magazine?