wife's bag searched at the theater

Guest Big-A

Are they doing real patdowns or metal detectors? If not, I'll just keep on carrying my gun to the movie theater.

Same question here. Also did they just look in her purse or move things around? Did they look to see if she had a zipper on the side? My wife has a conceal carry purse that has a compartment on the side.

The theatres make their money off of concessions; not ticket sales, and as a whole they aren't doing well anyways. If they were looking for weapons in Colorado it wouldn't have mattered anyways since dude got them out of his car via a fire exit. Considering that they are likely fully aware of what constitutes a legal sign for the purpose of banning firearms and not meeting those requirements, I'd imagine this has more to do with food and drink being smuggled in.

If the place wasn't posted and I was in that situation there is no way I would allow any dipweed to perform a search on myself or my wife. I would explain to them that they will have to get a police officer or deputy to do any search and I certainly would never go there again. What they charge for a movie and a bucket of popcorn is more of a crime than me trying to be safe especially at night with the "other" folks come out to play.

The theatres make their money off of concessions; not ticket sales, and as a whole they aren't doing well anyways. If they were looking for weapons in Colorado it wouldn't have mattered anyways since dude got them out of his car via a fire exit. Considering that they are likely fully aware of what constitutes a legal sign for the purpose of banning firearms and not meeting those requirements, I'd imagine this has more to do with food and drink being smuggled in.

Looking for food being brought in is probably the more likely reason for asking to search. I can't say I blame then either...as you noted, I've see enough theatre's books to know where the bulk of their profit comes from and it isn't ticket sales.

That doesn't mean I'd like to be or would let them search; but the motivation is understandable.

Edited by RobertNashville

Looking for food being brought in is probably the more likely reason for asking to search. I can't say I blame then either...as you noted, I've see enough theatre's books to know where the bulk of their profit comes from and it isn't ticket sales.

That doesn't mean I'd like to be or would let them search; but the motivation is understandable.

Yeah, I wouldn't be searched either. I was just say'n. :)

The security issue is a double edged sword and we tend to make it so.

We scream and holler that somebody wasn't doing their job if somebdy gets in somewhere and starts a massacre. Then we scream and holler if somebody wants to search us.

We scream and holler that shrinks aren't doing their job if they don't report "nut jobs" to the police. Then we scream and holler of we're turned down for a HCP because it became known that we were taking a sedative.

Fact is, anytime you have ample security, rights are infringed, goes with the game. We are always screaming that they didn't do enough to stop "those people". Then we say they need to leave "us" alone. Truth is, "those people" are "us" until they start shooting. No difference on the surface. H***, some of them are even Republicans and Christians like "us" too.

You can have more freedom and rights or you can have security. You can't have both.

I tend towards freedom and rights and less towards security. I always assume that everybody else could be one of "those people" and EDC a .38 in my pocket. By the same token, I am realistic in understanding that there is really very little that the establishment can do to prevent these incidents, they are just part of our culture. It is the Individual's responsiblity to be aware and to be ready for trouble.

Edited by wjh2657

I'm gonna go with liberty since I'm not convinced their "security" measures do anything to prevent someone bent on killing and destruction. It just causes the crazy person to adjust their plan. In this case, the shooter didn't even bring guns into the theater. He hid them outside. Sure, now theaters are doing things like checking exits and whatnot, but you know that as the years pass they'll stop doing that. It doesn't really matter anyway since there are still other ways to kill a bunch of people at the theater. In fact, at this premier there was a crowd of hundreds lined up outside. He could have just taken a sand truck and plowed into the crowd. Probably would have killed more people that way.

There is no such thing as "zero defect" in terms of security. There is always a way. I'd prefer to have the option be responsible for my own safety.

Just wait till you have to take off your shoes or better yet, it could be a new market for the full body scanners.

The advantage here is that I can just watch the movies on Netflix. Unfortunately, I can't afford my own jet and I have to fly around every so often. If the free market could bankrupt the airlines due to the TSA, it would.

The advantage here is that I can just watch the movies on Netflix. Unfortunately, I can't afford my own jet and I have to fly around every so often. If the free market could bankrupt the airlines due to the TSA, it would.

Dude, I understand. My refusal to fly costs me big time. It's pretty much impossible to do consulting when you wont fly.

Dude, I understand. My refusal to fly costs me big time. It's pretty much impossible to do consulting when you wont fly.

I still go out of my way not to fly. In fact, recent travel of mine I decided to do my rental from home instead of flying and picking it up. I figure, if the drive is less than 6 hours, I actually save time by driving since the butt-pain of driving to the airport, getting there two hours early, then flying, landing and picking up bags takes about the same.

I still go out of my way not to fly. In fact, recent travel of mine I decided to do my rental from home instead of flying and picking it up. I figure, if the drive is less than 6 hours, I actually save time by driving since the butt-pain of driving to the airport, getting there two hours early, then flying, landing and picking up bags takes about the same.

That's the ticket. Used to be, I had to travel to Tampa quarterly to the office and I would ride my fat boy.

At the one in turkey creek the girl on the one side was checking bags......the guy on the side we went in had a broke hand and could care less. I find it funny they check purses for guns but didn't ask me to lift my untucked shirt. I think it's more for people with video cameras than guns.

Movie theaters now have become a luxury for most people....If you have 3 or more kids .. you cna go broke taking them to the theaters..

I only go if there is a movie that both of us want to go see.. otherwise I buy it for 20 bucks at wal mart when its released..

To get searched and asked questions.. I rather stay home.

Searching people will not prevent anything from happening anyway... most of these people who work there are kids.. you think they would be able to handle someone who is hell bend on going in there and starting soemthing? i doubt it.

Guest chiro2007

I live in Dover, DE. Went to the theater (Carmike) last night with the wife. Was shocked when the security guard said he needed to search her purse... which they found nothing. I called after the theater after the movie was over and asked what they were searching for. They said Änything that you aren't suppose to take into a theater""... which I replied... like candy and soda? They said... Änything".

My issue with this whole thing is I don't buy for a second they are searching for weapons to protect the public, but rather using that tragedy as a convenient excuse to search for candy, water and soda being carried in.

Let me put it out to you morons that run the movie chains... people don't mind paying MORE for snacks/water/soda in the theater... so long as you aren't gouging the F out of us. They've taken it to a point that you'd be stupid NOT to bring in your own stuff. I mean, come on people... $4 for a freaking bottle of water... the same sized bottle of water where you can go to SAM'S Club and buy 40 of them for a total of $4??? A box of candy that normally costs less than a dollar goes for $4??? Small sodas for $5 or more???

Of course... charge more for your water, soda, popcorn and candy... but stop gouging and guess what... more people will actually follow your rules and buy your stuff even if it costs more. I'm more than sure that if they charged $2 for a bottle of water... and made the candy $2.50 or less, they'd sell far more of it. Otherwise... do nothing... just keep raising the prices... have people bring in the own stuff, then search their bags/purses... next will be pat-downs... and what after that? People will stop going if they keep searching purses. Hell, the police need probable cause to search... but I'm going to let some Mickey Mouse Security Dufus do it because they are a "private business"?

For the record... my wife had NOTHING in the bag... although we usually do bring in one or two cans of coke in case the $6 soda we share isn't enough to last us through the movie.

As much as I hate to say this, it's their propery and our rights to NOT be searched end when we decide to enter their facilities. Our only choices are refusing to be searched in hopes they'll back down or leaving. Their private property rights trump all our rights.

Luckily, most businesses are too smart to go too far. Like others said, these searches will likely end when everyone forgets about the shooting in CO. Until then, theaters probably feel like any pretenses of security will please more patrons than it pisses off.