Question on registering a vehicle in TN after we relocate

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Can anyone tell me the Tax rate on registering a vehicle in TN, and posiibly specifically Rhea, Bledsoe or Hamilton county. I hear that Tennessee has the highest vehicle registration tax in the country. The value on the vehicle to be registered will is around $25,000.

Thanks

J

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did mine in Nashville. $79 for the state and county registration/taxes. You'll also pay some for the tag the first time, IIRC. I think around $40 for that.

If it's a new purchase, then you have sales tax on the $25K. That's different than the registration fee. Sales tax will run you around $1800'ish.

Can anyone tell me the Tax rate on registering a vehicle in TN, and posiibly specifically Rhea, Bledsoe or Hamilton county. I hear that Tennessee has the highest vehicle registration tax in the country. The value on the vehicle to be registered will is around $25,000.

Thanks

J

In Henry county, it's $45.00 per car, but I had a surprise when I moved here a few years ago and went to register my vehicles.

Before I could get my Tennessee license plates, I had to have the original "title" for each of the vehicles. Fortunately, all my vehicles are paid for and I have them. I came from "The Peoples Republic of Illinois" and if you financed your vehicle, the lending institution(s) keep the titles until they're paid off.

Maybe TN lending institutions don't hang on to the original titles and let the borrower keep them? Or maybe it's a county thing?

Oh yea, wait until you go to get your TN drivers license... All the documentation you'll need is bazaar. Even had to have our marriage license with wife's maiden name 32 years ago.

Edited by Dennis1209

It will be much, much cheaper to register your vehicle in TN vs MS. In Coffee Co. at least, the registration has nothing to do with the value of the vehicle. I think it is about $26/yr. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine your paying around $400/yr right now in MS.

Guest TankerHC

It will be much, much cheaper to register your vehicle in TN vs MS. In Coffee Co. at least, the registration has nothing to do with the value of the vehicle. I think it is about $26/yr. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine your paying around $400/yr right now in MS.

$836 this year.

Guest TankerHC

Wow, even worse. Yeah, TN is practically free compared to that robbery.

Actually thats 836 to register my Tundra. We havent paid less than $625 to register my wifes Sorrento the last three times. They claim they are using all the money for road maintenance. Im trying to figure out which state's roads they are fixing, because it sure isnt MS's.

Yeah, my family lived down there in the early 90s, and it was crazy expensive then. I have been in Corinth working kind of temporary, so I have not changed my registration. As far as the roads go, they are awful. They were terrible when we lived here before, and they still are. My sister in a civil engineer and says part of the problem is the sandy soil, but I know the soil does not change that much as soon as you hit the state line.

Edited by dats82

Tax rate for registering? I guess I don't get the question. When I moved to Hamilton county from California I paid $10 smog, $24 registration, and less than $20 for the plate. They had no problem with my credit union back there holding my title.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Unlike some states, Tennessee doesn't charge any fees or taxes for moving a vehicle you already own into the state. As far as I know, you only pay $10 for an emissions test (where required) and the typical registration/license plate fee. I think some areas have a wheel tax, but I'm not sure if that's included in the other fees mentioned. Here in Sumner County, the total is $75, plus the $10 for the emissions test.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest TankerHC

Chadastrophic The reason I asked was because here in MS, every year when you renew your registration, you pay all over again. My wifes 2011 Sorrento initially cost us $836 to register, it hasnt gone below $700 since. My new Tundra cost $761 to register last month, and it wont change much if I were to stay here over the next 5 or 6 years (Which I wont). Im relieved, thanks all for the info. I had been reading the costs for registering in TN and could not find the tax rate and was thinking its got to be high. Under $100, I think I can handle that.

There is no tax for registering. You pay tax on the vehicle upon purchase. You only pay registration fee plus wheel tax from your county if one is needed. Plus some of the counties require a emissions test. So you should be safely under $100 per vehicle until they hike it up in the future.

Memphis has one of, if not the, highest annual registration fees in the state at $118. Everywhere else in the state is cheaper.

State listing above shows $108 for city of Memphis residents. You have emissions test or something on top of that they don't show? (none of the counties mention emissions test, but some do have them)

Btw, Robertson Co. show $111.25

Oh, wow, Haywood County, City of Brownsville shows $123.00. County is $116. They must run the whole shebang there off those!

(effective date on doc shows July 2012)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I was working from memory, I easily could be off by $10. I am surprised that we aren't the highest anymore. I guess I should expect it to go up again.

Well, you know, you do get to live in Memphis and all, so that's the upside. ;)

- OS