Who is going to lead the ban on katanas

Nice. I remember a few years back a student at Johns Hopkins killed an intruder with his "ninja" sword. I found it both awesome an funny at the same time, since it is only cool to have a ninja sword if you've actually killed someone with it. Otherwise it is just lame.

I would rather take on someone with a gun if I was unarmed than someone with a REAL katana or the like. Also I do believe Katana's are illegal in the state of TN seeing as how they have a blade over 4" and server no other purpose other than to inflict serious injury or death.

They aren't illegal. Every mall has a tacky Asian store that sells samurai swords and such to 18 year olds that believe they are Japanese because of their lame tattoo.

Well they cant be legally shipped to TN,because it wasnt long ago I tried buying one from midway,and it said the item in my cart was prohibited in my state.

Well they cant be legally shipped to TN,because it wasnt long ago I tried buying one from midway,and it said the item in my cart was prohibited in my state.

Not that I'm well versed in the "sword" market, AFAIK there is no law against having or buying one. I did a quick search on Amazon of swords made for lame-o kids who've seen "Kill Bill" one too many times. No fine print regarding Tennessee shipping. I am well aware of places in Clarksville that sell these lame-o ninja swords to include the malls. If there was a law against it I'm sure these places wouldn't exist. Plenty of my Soldiers when I was in the Army decorated their rooms with this garbage. In fact, I remember there being a place that did custom orders for broadswords as retirement gifts or for Privates who thought their red hair meant they were direct descendants of William Wallace. In either case, lame as sh**.

The only people that don't look like choades for having swords are people in Cav or the Marines.

EDIT: As a humorous side note, I remember a while back there being some dipsh** in the 101st who decided to take on a bunch of MPs with a ninja sword after huffing too much glue or whatever. He lost. Rock beats scissor; Bullets beat sword.

Edited by TMF

Not that I'm well versed in the "sword" market, AFAIK there is no law against having or buying one. I did a quick search on Amazon of swords made for lame-o kids who've seen "Kill Bill" one too many times. No fine print regarding Tennessee shipping. I am well aware of places in Clarksville that sell these lame-o ninja swords to include the malls. If there was a law against it I'm sure these places wouldn't exist. Plenty of my Soldiers when I was in the Army decorated their rooms with this garbage. In fact, I remember there being a place that did custom orders for broadswords as retirement gifts or for Privates who thought their red hair meant they were direct descendants of William Wallace. In either case, lame as sh**.

The only people that don't look like choades for having swords are people in Cav or the Marines.

EDIT: As a humorous side note, I remember a while back there being some dipsh** in the 101st who decided to take on a bunch of MPs with a ninja sword after huffing too much glue or whatever. He lost. Rock beats scissor; Bullets beat sword.

Maybe the ones in the mall or used for decoration arent actually sharp, I wasnt trying to order some $20 chunk of sheet metal it was a $500 Katana, if you have enough firearms to last several lifetimes I dont see whats wrong with someone adding a nice blade to the collection,or why they are automatically "chodes" but anyways,below is the problem I ran into.

WARNING: Dirks / Swords cannot be shipped to AL; CA; CO; CT; DE; NY; TN; D.C.; MA; Miami-Dade & Sarasota counties, FL; Canada or Puerto Rico. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Dirks / Swords.

I believe I read (cant find the link now) that in Tennessee anything with blade length over 4" and has NO OTHER PURPOSE than to inflict serious bodily injury or death via stabbing or slicing is prohibited. The swords at the mall may be legal because they are sold as decoration,and the replicas I have seen have never been actual sharpened swords or "Battle Ready" swords(Maybe some sell sharpened idk) and that may be their loophole. Most blades can be excused to having several uses hunting,camping,fishing,some type of work related task,as to where a 39" razor sharp Katana doesnt work well with the I use it to gut whitetail excuse.

I am not a blade expert either just decided to spend some money on one and wasnt allowed to and did a very limited amount of research to try and figure out why I wasnt allowed.

Edited by ~48_South~

Most blades can be excused to having several uses hunting,camping,fishing,some type of work related task,as to where a 39" razor sharp Katana doesnt work well with the I use it to gut whitetail excuse.

You mean you aren't supposed to gut a deer with a Katana? I've been so misguided my entire life...

Hmm, I don't see what you're seeing. I just added a $300 wakizashi made by cold steel to my cart went through the check out process. I see nothing. Had I clicked the button one more time, I'd be out 3 bills and the owner of a Cold steel sword.

Couldn't you also get around the regulation by saying it's a machete? Like they do with "paperweight" brass knuckles? Because I know Cold Steel also has several sword "machetes" for sale.

Yeah, kinda like all those Ragnar Benson books on how to make Astrolite, RDX, ANFO and all other sorts of boomers. All the while heading it under, "Academic study only" What the frick ever! :shake:

I picked up a fairly sharp machete at a gas station/market/hardware store in sparta last year. I thought $8 was hard to say no to. I know a guy that drops half his money on all sortsa medieval & ninja weapons of good quality. I wouldn't think there were any real prohibitions against em.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I have several Cold Steel swords of various types, I just like them. Wouldnt ever dream of using one over my firearms, though. However, I ordered them almost three years or so ago and had no issues with shipping.

Aww come on! THat would be coolest of headlines. GUNstore owner dispatches would be robber with his mad bushido skill.

Guest ASmartOne

If it is illegal how can Smokey Mountain Knife Works sell swords in this state? Not the legality ever bothered SMKW. I was in there a year or two ago and was told by one of the counter guys that a double edged knife was illegal as was concealing said double edged knife. BTW, SMKW also sells switch blade now. The were at the counter with all that Hawke stuff.

I don't see the reasoning for looking down or name calling someone for owning a katana.

If I had the money for a real one I would get it. They are cool as all get out.

It would definitely be my choice of zombie wackers if firearms were going to draw unwanted attention.

I dunno, guess it is the inner mall ninja in me. ;)

If it is illegal how can Smokey Mountain Knife Works sell swords in this state? ....

Not illegal to ship into TN in any way.

Some places "interpret" TN law and refuse to ship much of anything here over 4" blade though, Like Sportsman's Guide. Includes machetes, but "kitchen" knife seems okay from their POV.

- OS

Guest ASmartOne

Not illegal to ship into TN in any way.

Some places "interpret" TN law and refuse to ship much of anything here over 4" blade though, Like Sportsman's Guide. Includes machetes, but "kitchen" knife seems okay from their POV.

- OS

Hmm, OK. My grasp of the discussion was a little hazy. My rule of thumb for TN knife law is as follows: Carry: anything under 4" but a switchblade or gravity knife. Your Own Property: Any thing you want!

Hmm, OK. My grasp of the discussion was a little hazy. My rule of thumb for TN knife law is as follows: Carry: anything under 4" but a switchblade or gravity knife. Your Own Property: Any thing you want!

That is correct, except it's "4 inches or under", not "under 4 inches". With exceptions for outdoor activities and whatnot.

There is no bladed instrument that is illegal to own in TN. Even switchblades have built-in "curio, ornament or keepsake" exception. Which is why anyone can openly buy them at every gun show in TN.

- OS