Whats with all the secrecy?

NRA

I have noticed some people will cover up the serial number of their rifles/pistols when they post for show and tell or for sale. At the risk of sounding naive is this really necessary? I have posted pictures online of firearms I own and no one has stolen my identity or rifles as of today. However I have noticed a suspicious vehicle with 2 men in black suits parked around the corner. Is this the tinfoil hat club or is it a real need?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Does anyone know of any issue with posting the serial number for all to see? Anything bad ever happen?

Nope. But never really researched it. Still I always cover my serials. Can't hurt.

I have gave some serious thought about the serial number thing over time, pondering why people do this. I have concluded three reasons:

Reason 1: An opportunist could report your gun in possession as stolen to local authorities motivated by either to mess with you, or could devise a plan to attempt some type of recovery. It just might work unless you have a documentation to prove date, place or from whom you purchased the firearm from.

Reason 2: You have purchased a used firearm, and you know this gun is either HOT, or could be HOT or you really do not know, and do not want to know. You conceal its number so the original owner will not find his firearm because you will be out the money you paid because you did not record or have evidence where you acquired your gun from, or you do not want someone to run the number to see if its HOT if they have access the NCIC or its equilvalent.

Reason 3: Its none of your business, its off the grid kinda of thing, but likely due to either #1 or #2 above.

I for one, for each SKS rifle I see either here on this site, Arm Listing, Gun Listing, etc, and that I can make out the serial number, I check them against my list of serial numbers from the guns I had stolen 20 years ago.

More precaution than anything, I generally don't post pics of guns whereas a serial number can be made out. More than likely nothing would ever happen but why take the chance.

1) I don't want anyone to be able to link me to any gun period. May be a little of a tinfoil hat thing, I just see no reason to make it public knowledge that I own any gun in particular. Tag me as a gun owner all you want but that's about as specific as I would like to be, no need to be owner of evil black rifle serial number ABC123.

2) As previously mentioned maybe someone that doesn't like me for whatever reason decides to say I have their stolen gun and they can "prove" it because how else would they know the serial number, once again, a long shot but why take the chance.

3) Same reasons I don't post my address on public forums. More than likely nothing would ever happen but why put that info out there?