So, you can take an online class and get a VA Non-Resident permit?

Guest Grubbah

So i can get my permit to carry in TN by doing this online course? How many states can you carry in with this permit? Thanks.

If you're a TN resident, the answer is no (as I understand the law anyhow - I'm no lawyer). The only time that I'm aware of that you can use an out of state permit is if you have recently moved to TN, you can use the old permit for up to 6 months. Once you've been a resident for 6 months you are required to have a TN permit. But you could carry in other states that honor that permit. If you check handgunlaw.us it shows what states honor that permit. I did a quick count and it was 26 or so states that honor the VA permit.

So i can get my permit to carry in TN by doing this online course? How many states can you carry in with this permit? Thanks.

You can find the requirements for a TN permit on at usacarry.com as well as the 38 states which honor a TN permit.

So TN doesnt honor it? The website makes it sounds like it does.

As I understand it, TN will not honor a non-resident permit from another state for a TN resident. TN may honor the VA non-resident permit but only for non-TN residents. If you live in TN, you will have to get the TN HCP in order to carry.

Guest Grubbah

Ok the TN permit also allows open carry right?

Correct, TN law allows you to carry openly or concealed whichever you are most comfortable with and you feel is right for your situation.

If you visit another state though, that state may or may not have similar laws. They might not permit open carry for example and so you must abide by their laws at all times.

That USACARRY site confuses me..

Can someone please look into if I can carry into Florida ? concealed ...

I am going there alone this winter for a few days and I rather carry.

I am a TN resident with a valid HCP

Yes you can carry in Fl Concealed. Open carry is allowed but you have to be going to or from hunting/fishing or other outdoor activity. You can carry in restaurant but not in "bar" section of those restaurants.

www.handgunlaw.us Is a better site

Edited by Lumber_Jack

....www.handgunlaw.us Is a better site

Much better. It has always been kept current, unlike several of the other sites often mentioned.

Matter of fact, it has often been correct when the TNDOS site is not. There's a discrepancy right now about WI on TNDOS, for example, but handgunlaw.us has it right.

- OS

Don't see why not.

Except that a few states don't recognize another state's non-resident permit at all. Ironically, FL is one of them, even though FL issues a non-resident and honors it.

- OS

Thanks, that's what I thought you were saying, but I guess I was having a moment.

I guess I was and still am boggled by the idea. As a form of reciprocity, I could see non-resident permits. Or is it a way to provide residents of the Communist states an opportunity to carry outside the USSA?

**multiple edits cuz I can speel but my feengers cannt**

Edited by Makiaveli

Thanks, that's what I thought you were saying, but I guess I was having a moment.

I guess I was and still am boggled by the idea. As a form of reciprocity, I could see non-resident permits. Or is it a way to provide residents of the Communist states an opportunity to carry outside the USSA?

Non resident permits started because of employment or split residency issues, where one spends x amount of time in a state other than their own, and where perhaps their resident state's permit wasn't honored.

But yeah, some states now just wholesale issue them, and I can only think of two reasons other than the work/split residence thing:

- they want to spread 2A rights around

- it's a cash cow

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I don't expect to see this anytime soon but it's time for each of the states to honor the HCP permits of other states in the same manner they honor a drivers license from another state. If you obey the laws of the state you are visiting, your home state permit should be satisfactory.

I don't expect to see this anytime soon but it's time for each of the states to honor the HCP permits of other states in the same manner they honor a drivers license from another state. If you obey the laws of the state you are visiting, your home state permit should be satisfactory.

Whole 'nother topic. Best to start new thread if you want to really discuss that, IMO.

- OS