first 9mm

Guest binarydud

Guest binarydud

I am in the market for my first 9mm handgun and am looking for some suggestions. Most of it's use would be for going to the range and improving my skill.

thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had several 9's. FNP9, XD9 Service, Walther P99, FN Hi-Power, Kel-tec P11, & a Kel-Tec PF9.

Of those my favorites would be the Walther P99 and the Hi-Power, although I would not hesitate getting any of those again.

In Polymer/carry gun I would highly recommend the P99 and in steel the Hi-Power is the definitive 9mm. The P99 is accurate, nice trigger in the QA model, light/ concealable, and with the Melonite finish very durable.

Guest bkelm18

Lots of good choices, Springfield XDs, CZ 75s (I had a P-01 and it was a great gun), Beretta 92/M9, Glocks, and so forth. Whichever you can shoot the most comfortably is the one you should go with.

Guest Todd@CIS

Welcome binarydud.

There are many good 9MM offerings these days. Someone can tell you what works for them, but that same gun may not be to your liking. It very much comes down to personal preference for the intented use of the gun.

My 9MMs are for...

1. Defense

2. Training for defense

Currently, I choose (and have for many years) the Glock 19 as my favorite 9mm for the above purposes.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest darkstar

Sig P226 or P229. The 226 is considered the full size, the 229 a compact. I can't reccomend Sigs enough. They are more pricey but in my opinion worth it. The Sig P6 is a good choice as there are many out there currently. They are W. German police trade-ins. The double action pull is pretty stiff but you can get the trigger worked on. One downside is they are a full size weapon, but only have a single stack magazine which holds 8 rounds. They are a good way to get a high quality firearm fairly cheaply.

Guest eyebedam

I put a couple hundred rounds through the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 it is a great shooter. I have a couple of Walthers & like them alot also.

Guest bluecanary25

As has been recommended in the past:

go to a range that rents guns and try a few.

Find one that fits your hands and has a comfortable "feel".:D

Good luck finding a nice handgun for yourself!

Oh yeah, the Sig P6 is a good deal and shoots pretty well.

If you are near Nashville, give the Rabbi a call. (I got 2 P6s from him. So I must be :P )

Guest Phantom6

XD9 Service model. Not too big to carry and not too small for the range.

I bought one about 4 years or so ago and after literally thousands of rounds, never an issue. It's my main carry piece. :P

First of all, as some else recommended, go shoot several before you settle on one. Second of all think about what you want to do with it. Do you want a carry gun, home defense gun or a plinker or even a combination of all three.

If you want to carry, then I recommend some sort of compact with weight being a big consideration. If it's too heavy you'll ended up unhappy with your choice. Something along the lines of a Glock 19, Springfield XD SC or a Browning HP (I love these btw).

If it's for home defense, then size doesn't matter. Look at a Beretta 92, Ruger 89 (good bang for the buck), Glock 17, Springfield XD, SIG or a Browning HP (Have I mentioned that I love these). If your looking for a plinker, get a .22. :P

If your looking for all three look at the compacts again. I'm sure something will stand out. And most of all have a ton of fun selecting it. Odds are this won't be the last one you'll ever buy.:D

Guest mikedwood

I think most of the guns mentioned are great firearms.

I would suggest a G-19 or a the Beretta 92. Why? Cause they are super great? No but they are really good. The main reason is there are few gun stores that you can walk into and not find magazines and holsters for them, also lasers and other after market parts are readily avalible and pretty cheap cause they are common pistols.

Plus if there is some ban in the future there are and will be more 10 cap mags for them and btw stock up on hi caps till then. A semi auto without a mag is pretty much an expensive rock.

That way if you just decide you want one for protection you can always find parts and such, it's there and really reliable, or if you decide you love guns and want to build a collection it's a good safe starting point.

Another idea would be the XD some of them have a nice kit with the gun, 2 mags, mag holder, holster, speed loader and a box.

Consider the gun is $xxx but extra mags are $25 to $35 ea (You will probably find you want 4) and holsters are $60 at the least (and you won't know you like it till you try it and can't return it). Night sights $100+ and it doesn't much matter if the gun costs $200 or $1000 the above costs will still apply.

Good luck and let us know what you choose, welcome to the board!

Guest binarydud

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Are there any places near Nashville that would carry a SIG P6 i could take a look at?

Guest Phantom6

Whatever you choose make sure that you are comfortable with it at the time of purchase and become even more comfortable with it on a regular basis after the purchase.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

As others have stated, try to shoot a few. I love my G17, but lots of people don't. I personally don't like Sigs, but, by all accounts, they're fine weapons. You really need to try a few if you can.

If the German police are getting rid of their S6's, what are they going to??

An inlaw of mine has one of those and she told us that the little curl on the hammer is a beer bottle opener. That the German police were allowed 2 beers a day I think she said.

If the German police are getting rid of their S6's, what are they going to??

An inlaw of mine has one of those and she told us that the little curl on the hammer is a beer bottle opener. That the German police were allowed 2 beers a day I think she said.

I think they're on to the P8 now. That would be a Hitler-Koch sk2000 or whatever the designation is.

The opening on the hammer cannot possibly open a beer bottle, nor would you want to use your pistol for that.

I was told it is to tell whether the gun has been dropped or not.