Gander Mountain Turkey Creek

Major Kong

I stopped in yesterday while I was out running errands. It looks like they're totally redoing their gun area. If the shelving is an indicator they're going to have rooms for hundreds of guns.

Anyone have any insight into what's actually happening?

Hope they change their pricing structure as well. It would be nice to have reasonably priced guns for sale around West Knoxville.

Last time I was in there about a month ago, they had moved the counter so that all the guns are behind them and away from the hands of every man, woman and child that walks in. You know, I really didn't like the idea of every gun open so everyone could pick them up. I know they where locked and safe, my concern was from the buyer point of view, I wouldn't want a gun that had been out for everyone to mess with for who knows how long before it is sold. People could drop them or damage them in some ways.

Suprised they are still.selling firearms now..With Academy Sports down the road, you would think.they are npt doing so well now.Every time we go in there, its pretty much emty

Kind of what I was thinking too, but they now have shelving and counters all the way down the back wall. If they fill all of the shelving they will have several hundred guns in there.

I liked having the guns open and not having to wait on a clerk to show one to me. However the downside was that ever Tom, Dick and Harry could manhandle them too. I remember picking up a rifle one afternoon and the entire bolt assembly just fell out, where someone had disassembled it, and could fathom how it went back together.

So I understand the intent of moving them behind the counter. While their prices are very much on the high side, their selection is really good.

Yep, I love the idea of a gun emporium but I'm still not buying unless their pricing structure gets a little more in line with the marketplace.

One example I saw yesterday: 375 rounds of CCI mini mags for $28.99. The same box was on sale at Palmetto State Armory (who also has a brick and mortar store) for $20.99. With Gander Mountain's size and buying power they should be competing with Wal Mart on ammo prices and Bud's on gun prices.

EDIT: Palmetto State is good only if you are not in a hurry for your items and you don't need to speak to customer service or sales on the phone. Their customer service is horrible. Their prices are good.

Edited by Major Kong

I know part of the inspection for them is to make sure the bolts match the gun. I watched them search high and low for the matching bolt to a gun that was being sold. Evidentally someone had swapped bolts between guns while it was on the shelf.

Dolomite

Had I been that customer, I would have took that as a clue to by someplace else.

• 3 weeks later...

Just stopped in there today and they were having their grand reopening. The gun selection is much larger than before, prices still too high tho. Prices are even higher in store than on their website ie I've been looking for a certain holster, website had it for 59.99 store sales for 69.99. Fun to look around but not much on buying from there.

Just stopped in there today and they were having their grand reopening. The gun selection is much larger than before, prices still too high tho. Prices are even higher in store than on their website ie I've been looking for a certain holster, website had it for 59.99 store sales for 69.99. Fun to look around but not much on buying from there.

Now I have seen that at Academy too. They had the Ruger 10/22 Carbine listed at $190 on their site, but $197 on the shelf.

They told me that they don't price match their website.

So I payed $197 for it.

I was in the other day seriously looking to buy a gun they had in stock. While no stores locally had the gun in stock, I could very easily have had it ordered on gallery and have it tomorrow. I wasn't expecting a full price match, I just asked if they could work at all. The sales clerk simply said no and followed that with silence. I really think that the only people that shop there are either gun newbs or people who just prefer the 'big box' experience.

How can they so grossly overprice stuff and not go under?...There are plenty of other stores with better prices..plus the internet..everything is overpriced in there..

Simple, it's in Turkey Creek. There's something about that place that makes people not care that everything costs 20% more.

• Like 1

Simple, it's in Turkey Creek. There's something about that place that makes people not care that everything costs 20% more.

Has nothing to do with that store and Turkey Creek. Their price comes down from corporate, it is the same price you will find for the same model gun at any gander mtn.

Has nothing to do with that store and Turkey Creek. Their price comes down from corporate, it is the same price you will find for the same model gun at any gander mtn.

I think he was referring to the mentality of the shoppers rather than the price of merchandise. its the only explanation for paying $100+ over what you could pay a couple miles down the road.

I think he was referring to the mentality of the shoppers rather than the price of merchandise. its the only explanation for paying $100+ over what you could pay a couple miles down the road.

Winner!

When I saw people lined up out the door and down the sidewalk to pay $3 for a single, normal sized cupcake... that's all I needed to know. I avoid the whole area like the plague.

Guest rebeldrummer

Quote from department manager, store manager and regional manager...."We are expanding in order to become the LARGEST firearms department in East Tennessee.

This was told to me, first hand, 2 months ago. I was offered a job there. Unfortunately they want to start you out just a little over at a low rate, thus why I turned the offer down. I was supposed to become a lead bow tech and float over in the firearm section when it was slow or they needed help. It would have been a nice gig if it weren't for such a low starting wage. The discounts are pretty good and you get good deals through certain big gun companies (ex: S&W let's you get 2 firearm purchases a year at 35 or 40 percent off )

It upset me that they would start their employees off at such a low rate seeing as hips they sell at such inflated prices! Probably explains why their staff is not that great...a few college kids with limited experience and a few older gents that just want something to do.