Got pulled over with my gun in the glove box.

Guest 808-South

Has nothing to do with being a "hard ass" at all. I'm not required to inform that I'm carrying therefor I won't, until or unless neccessary. "Neccessary" as in should I be asked to step out of the vehicle. Then a simple heads up that I am armed would be in order. Until then? No.

Handing your HCP voluntarily without it being neccessary is ridiculous and most people do it to A) show off and/or B )to attempt to score suck up brownie points with LEO's.

I love how so many grown men carry and think they are big and bad and claim all their Cloak and Dagger skills about concealing....until the popo are around. Then suddenly they studder and stammer and offer up their HCP and blurt out exactly where their gun is. LMAO. If you're not required to inform, don't inform. Period.

I inform them as I have nothing to hide. If popo ask me to get out of my vehicle, and finds a weapon on me or within....I don't want no surprises! The officer WILL react to me being armed if he does not know my intentions with a possible bad attitude and/or body language. Why create aditional problems and headaches for ourselves if we don't have to?

I want to go home at the end of the day, just like everyone else. Just remember....that officer doesn't know what kind of day we are having, doesn't know if you're wanted or not, and doesn't know what our intentions are....why cause him more stress than needed?

Apparently you've never worked as an LEO have you?

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

Has nothing to do with being a "hard ass" at all. I'm not required to inform that I'm carrying therefor I won't, until or unless neccessary. "Neccessary" as in should I be asked to step out of the vehicle. Then a simple heads up that I am armed would be in order. Until then? No.

Handing your HCP voluntarily without it being neccessary is ridiculous and most people do it to A) show off and/or B )to attempt to score suck up brownie points with LEO's.

I love how so many grown men carry and think they are big and bad and claim all their Cloak and Dagger skills about concealing....until the popo are around. Then suddenly they studder and stammer and offer up their HCP and blurt out exactly where their gun is. LMAO. If you're not required to inform, don't inform. Period.

Why so hostile? Seems like you are the one who is being all Billy Badarse in trying to conceal your status. What you have to do, and what you should reasonably do aren't always the same thing, but that doesn't mean they are never the same thing.

Why so hostile? Seems like you are the one who is being all Billy Badarse in trying to conceal your status. What you have to do, and what you should reasonably do aren't always the same thing, but that doesn't mean they are never the same thing.

Deleted

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

I got stopped in Huntsville AL a few months back by a City officer because the license plate light on my wife's car was out. The officer was polite ran my DL & checked my insurance card. I didn't give him HCP because I wasn't carrying and he didn't ask if the dispatcher advised him. He was most likely also fishing and sent me on my way. When he pulled out I had to laugh because the license plate light on his cruiser was out.

And if he winds up searching your car for some reason? Then a different problem arises. Why not CYA from the get go? No reason to be a hard azz about anything. You'll loose....

Dave S

Or you tell him, he takes the firearm "for officer safety" and shoots himself in the head by mistake... We can all dream up crazy situations that aren't going to happen.

Until they change the disarm law to have some sense of sanity, it's probably best not to offer up you're carrying unless they ask to see your permit, or they somehow stumble upon the firearm before running your DL.

I was pulled over in Springfield, TN. The officer asked if I had a gun in the car (I usually hand my CP over with my license) and I said yes, in the glove box. He asked for my license and registration. I told him that those too were in the glove box. He said that is ok. I made sure to keep my hands where he could see them and moved deliberately and slowly (not exaggerated slow) opened the box, got my stuff, closed the box.

That was the extent of my dealings with the gun and the officer. I still got a ticket, but no trouble about guns. This is my third stop with a gun and no issues.

I got stopped in Huntsville AL a few months back by a City officer because the license plate light on my wife's car was out. The officer was polite ran my DL & checked my insurance card. I didn't give him HCP because I wasn't carrying and he didn't ask if the dispatcher advised him. He was most likely also fishing and sent me on my way. When he pulled out I had to laugh because the license plate light on his cruiser was out.

no law in TN for license plate light being out.

Edited by NRA

This is crazy :screwy:

Guest BungieCord

From the start I would have simply handed him my DL. No reason to hand him your HCP.

And if he winds up searching your car for some reason? Then a different problem arises....

No, it doesn't.

You're under no legal obligation to inform him unless he asks. That doesn't change because a cop takes the notion to search your car. If he discovers a handgun concealed in your car in the course of his search, there's been no law broken. You're arguing a straw man fallacy.

Besides which, your HCP# matches your DL#. When he calls it in, dispatch will tell him if you're an HCP-holder.

Edited by BungieCord

Once when I was pulled over and the officer asked where I was going I made the mistake of answering honestly. Dunkin' Donuts. That really was where I was going but I don't think the officer took the answer very kindly. I got the ticket. (As opposed to a friend of mine who used to work for Krispy Kreme and who actually got out of a speeding ticket because he was taking a few dozen donuts home from work and 'graciously' gave the officer a dozen.)

Since then, I have decided that there is a simple, easy solution that will let me answer the question without raising suspicions while still maintaining my privacy. Lie. See, if someone asks me a question that is really none of their business then I feel no obligation to tell them the truth and simply wearing a badge and a blue outfit doesn't have the effect of a truth serum. Therefore, no matter when or where I get stopped, if the officer asks where I am going, if it has no real bearing on the situation and I simply don't feel like telling them then I will always be on my way to/from:

A. My house

B. A friend's house

C. Walmart

D. Work

Of course, if the question is apropos to the situation or really is important for some, other reason (or if it is going on an official police report) I would not give a false statement. To me, though, "Where are you going?" does not count as such a question until and unless martial law and official curfews are implemented.

As for presenting my HCP, I figure the fact that I have an HCP is public record and that informing the officer really could avoid potential problems. Heck, all someone has to do is go to the link on the Commercial Appeal website and they can find out if I have an HCP so my informing a cop isn't a big deal, to me. My wallet has a little, bifold insert with clear plastic over each side on the inside. I have my DL in one side and my HCP in the other and will just hand the whole thing to the officer. That way I can subtly hand over the HCP without making a big deal out of it.

Edited by JAB

I keep my firearms easily accessible when in my car, pretty sure if pulled over I will have to hand over my hcp as calmly as possible LOL.

Glad to see a good Leo encounter.

I made the mistake of answering honestly. Duncan Donuts. That really was where I was going but I don't think the officer took the answer very kindly. I got the ticket.

Lmao !

Guest 808-South

Wow!!! Really???

From my original post, you got "suck up" "fake tough guy" "gun bragger" and "stuttering fool"

It seems many want to argue. And test the leo's. I for one got respect for the law and the job that they are paid to do.

• Administrator

He's a "take down" and "tazer" waiting to happen!

"Ride the Lightning" bro!!!

Then he'll probably try to sue like everyone else who comes into "bad" contact with us POPO!

Dave S

Sent by tap-a-key board

This thread was going pretty good until you resorted to a personal attack. Let's not do that. :bored:

• Like 1
Guest mcgyver210

Some of that could just easily be small talk while the cop is waiting on dispatch to come back with the check on your DL, outstanding warrants, etc. Not sure why folks get their shorts in a knot about a cop asking them where they're heading or where they've been. It's also a way for them to gauge if you're up to some ####, based on body language, so just relax and have a conversation. Unless the guy starts asking you things that infringe upon your Miranda rights, don't be a dick and they likely won't be either.

I believe the reason people get their shorts in a knot because nowadays:

1. It is perfectly acceptable for any LEO to outright LIE to you about anything to get what they want so this in itself doesn't promote any TRUST in what a LEO Says or their motives. IMO when it is acceptable for a LEO to LIE how can we Trust that they always remember to be truthful when required to.

The only exception IMO would be an Undercover well documented investigation.

2. Their is NO Such thing as Small Talk with a LEO because anything you say can & will be used against you. Many times they use Small Talk as a tactic not as a friendly conversation which has been verified even by current & past LEOs here & other boards..

3. On the side of the road a LEO can do anything they want if you don't do as they want even if it is a violation of your rights.

Now with all that said I would have no real issue with that encounter with one of my local LEOs but I can't say I wouldn't be on my guard against any non local LEO asking where I am going which I do believe IMO is "None of his Business". Not to say I wouldn't answer though if he is respectful.

Now as for a search if that came up my only answer no matter who is NO because at that point I know he is up to nothing good for me.

Guest mcgyver210

Wow... I'm glad I don't live in the same world of fear that some of ya'll do. That seems really, really depressing to me.

LOL I really don't Fear them since most are really good people doing a job, I have just seen way too much & don't just Blindly Trust or assume they are really a Good Guy because they went to a Police Academy & now wear a Badge that gives extreme latitude for their actions on the side of the road.

Also I have many friends that are LEOs & Im not a trouble maker so I have never really had any major problem with any LEO.

I also don't get the one sided view that they are stressed out pulling strangers over when I can also say Blue Lights bring stress on me also because I don't know the Officer at all either or what mood he or she is in not to mention if this particular officer is honest.

Edited by mcgyver210

If I had stopped you and the gun was in the glove box my only question would be why isn't isnt closer than that?

To which some would reply, "I don't have to answer your questions.... 4th Amendment... blah, blah.... why don't you catch real criminals instead of harrassing me... blah ... whaddaya mean 'press down hard, you're making 5 copies?'"

• Like 2