Help me with my first AR15

tt0511

I've decided I want my first rifle and want an AR15. I have tried researching to find what I want but I am just getting a bit confused. I have no history with rifles and don't even know much about the calibers. I want an AR15 for home defense, range fun, and any kind of SHTF / Zombie-pocalypse that might possibly occur one decade, lol. I've heard the messaging several times "get a Colt". Opinions on this see to vary greatly so I'm not sure whether I'm paying extra dollars for better quality or just for the name as some others suggest. Can you guys help me pick out a few, say three good options in your opinion and why you like the ones you'd pick. If you can, gimme some model numbers too.

I know I'd like the option to add a green or red dot sight down the road as well as a foregrip. Based on what I've read, it seems that 5.56 is the caliber to go with because it will shoot 223 as well, is affordable to shoot and reload-able, and has sufficient power for any practical self-defense scenario. I like the way the M4 type rifles look visually but I don't know what I'm doing either, lol.

I'm liking the look of Colt Model Model LE6920MP-B. Are there any things particular to be aware of on that?

Edited by tt0511

You cannot beat the Sport from S&W in 5.56.

I will just give you a quick run down of the Sport and why it is such a great gun.

1. The barrel is a 5R rifled barrel.

5R barrels are known for their accuracy regardless of caliber. For whatever reason they just shoot and shoot well. It also increases the velocity by virtue of how the rifling is laid out.

2. The barrel is Melonite treated.

Melonite treatments are far better than any chrome lining as far as hardness and durability. It also offers an exception amount of corrosion resistance. It is more than just a surface coating like chrome, it actually treats the metal and goes subsurface.

3. The bolt is properly heat treated.

This is very important for the long term durability of the firearm. It ensures the headspace will remain in spec longer than those bolts that are not heat treated properly. Poorly heat treated bolts will either wear prematurely or break from being too brittle.

4. It has a barrel twist rate of 8

This twist rate allows you to fire the heaviest bullets that can be fed from a magazine, up to 80 grains. And because it isn't a 7 twist (like most others out there) you can also fire the lightweight varmint style bullets without fear of the jackets seperating.

5. It comes ready to fire.

It comes with a Magpul rear sight while most competitors, even those 100's of dollars more expensive, do not. The sights have been proven for several years now both by those in harms way as well as the weekend shooter. It also includes a Magpul magazine which has also been proven for seveal years now.

6. It is built to the same specs as all other AR's

This means you can upgrade and swap parts to build a gun that suits your wants or needs. And because it is an AR most of the work can be done by the owner and if it is a milspec part it WILL fit.

7. The price

In reality if any other maker were to offer the same features as the Sport has they would be asking 100's of dollars more. The 5R barrel and Melonite treatment were once only offered on high end guns. And included in the price is a warranty that is among the best in the industry.

And if I were in the market for one I would buy a Sport.

Colt holds their resale value, that is about it. They are no longer the beacon of quality they once were.

There are plenty of other brands that are just as good for cheaper or much better for the same price. Daniel Defense, Bravo Company and Smith & Wesson are much better than Colt for the same amount of money.

Dolomite

• Like 1

If you have the money to spend, go for the colt, but there are many brand name ar's besides colts that are just as good and lots cheaper and most nowadays shoot both 223 and 556. Look on the barrel up near the flash surpressor or on the magazine well to see if it does or not.

The M4 is very popular now. I love mine. Fun to shoot.

Would you trust the Sport to home defense and SHTF coverage as well? I read some opinions that it was designed for sport shooting and shouldn't be relied upon for those roles. I dunno, they talked about trekking through the woods or breaking out glass and it having no dust cover. I don't see me trekking through the woods hiding from the commies, but who knows what'll happen in this crazy world.

I recently bought the M&P sport in no small part due to Dolomite's recomendation. He was NOT wrong. The rifle is freakin' fantastic. Acuurate, eats anything I feed it and likes to play dirty. Every accessory I have purchaced has fit like a glove. I added a sightmark tactical red dot, sightmark 3x magnifier, a quad rail, a 2 point sling, a army surplus surefire light and bought 9 army surplus mags and a blackhawk bag to carry it all in, and I am still under the average price tag for a ready to shoot AR.

What's the deal with rifles that aren't ready to shoot? What does one typically have to do with them? (Like I said, I'm totally new to the rifle scene)

Because of the price point, if the Sport rocks for all roles, I'm probably leaning that way heavily. Half the price of the Colt.

Edited by tt0511
Guest ThePunisher

The Sport was my second AR. DDM4 was the first. I bought the Sport as result of the Dolomite and other reviews here. S&W should give Dolomite a fee for each Sport sold.

What's the deal with rifles that aren't ready to shoot? What does one typically have to do with them?

Many ARs come sans rear site. It will have an A2 style front site, with a flat top upper/without a rear. So you would at least have to buy a cheap rear site before you could even shoot it. Others that have a free float quad rail, will lack a front site in addition to lacking the rear site.

For an out of the box AR, the S&W sport is hard to beat for the price. If you are a do-it yourself type of person you can have fun building one from the ground up as well.

Would you trust the Sport to home defense and SHTF coverage as well? I read some opinions that it was designed for sport shooting and shouldn't be relied upon for those roles. I dunno, they talked about trekking through the woods or breaking out glass and it having no dust cover. I don't see me trekking through the woods hiding from the commies, but who knows what'll happen in this crazy world.

This is not an issue. ANd if it is you can swap in a new upper receiver for a little over $100. The Sport will work fine for self defense or SHTF.

Dolomite

Would you trust the Sport to home defense and SHTF coverage as well? I read some opinions that it was designed for sport shooting and shouldn't be relied upon for those roles.

That's cause some folks think that an AR won't work without a dust cover and forward assist. They do. Anyone that makes a big deal out of that is simply ignorant. Other rifles don't have dust covers on their bolts and they work fine.

• Like 1

Don't worry about the ejection port cover and forward assist. The cover is nice to have, but rarely necessary. And I only know of ONE situation where I would use the forward assist and if you don't form brass, you won't need it for that reason. I left those parts off the last upper I screwed together.

I haven't used the S&W, but I really like the features that Dolomite says it comes with. It's the one I recommend (based on Dolomite's recommendation) to folks who don't want to build their own. As a matter of fact, it would be difficult to build a rifle with those specs for the same price as the S&W.

Will

I purchased a M&P 15 this summer due to TGO recommendations. I am very satisfied with it. I've sighted in iron sights at 100 yds and have now ordered a 6x compact scope, QD rings and Blackhawk sling. I bought mine at D&T in Goodletsville ($741w/tax/bgc).

Wow guys. I don't think I've ever experienced such unity of opinion on any gun forum, ever.

This is largely due in part to the technical informativeness of Dolomite. For the record, I bought a Colt AR-15 for patrol (only AR-15 on the list) before I ever came to these forums and I don't regret it. However if I were to buy another AR-15 it would definitely be a S&W M&P 15 based on all of the information and the glowing reports I've read on these forums. My old duty pistol was a S&W 5906 and my current CCW is a S&W M&P 9mm full size. You cannot hold either of these pistols without recognizing the quality, design, and attention to detail that S&W built into them. Besides this, S&W has a warranty that can not be compared to any other gun manufacturer out there - not that you'll ever need it! ;)