Help me with my first AR15

tt0511

Just to expound on what TMF is saying.

He was talking about dirty, dusty enviroments. Here in Tennessee we hardly have any dirty or dusty enviroments. So the need to maintain your rifle is lessened here. You still need to maintain it but for a different set of conditions. And what you are worried about here isn't going to be avoided with a dust cover. I think the biggest threat to any gun, at least in E. Tennessee, is humidity not dust or dirt. So use lube with that in mind.

Even if you are running, jumping and crawling through the woods for a week it doesn't compare to a day in the dusty, Martian landscape that is the middle east. The dust cover is not a replacement for maintaining your rifle. It is only there to keep out the big stuff and even then I don't believe not having one is going to make that much of a difference.

I have been over there as well and seen everything he talks about. But here in Tennessee there is no need for a dust cover or the kind of maintanance like you would need to do over there. Here all you need to do is lube to keep the humidity from attacking metal and to keep it running. I haven't cleaned the bolt in my main AR in probably a year now and I do shoot it a lot. That is because it doesn't get dirty or dusty from the enviroment, only from shooting and it takes a lot for an AR to quit running from use.

Dolomite

They tightened some time ago, at least on the Sport -- bought two this year. One local, $672 including tax, another later, even cheaper, from PSA, $655 including shipping and transfer. I'd be surprised if you can get one in the hand now for under $725.

- OS

I paid $725 OTD for mine back in June. You got smoking deals on yours.

Well, I really hate to disappoint the expectations for a SW Sport. I went a different route. I'm very thankful for all the help Dolomite gave and for letting me call him on the phone. I brought this home today. I doubt it was a bad decision. A couple of pistol trade-ins (they never got shot) gave me more funds than I thought I had originally. I studied the variants for several hours and what I would want and settled confidently on this solution.

IMG_0379_zps4c7515c1.jpg

IMG_0380_zpsde5ec767.jpg

Edited by tt0511

Ya! It will be a little bit before I get out to a rifle range but I can't wait! This particular rifle was just calling out to me. I could have built one like it from the Sport probably but, well, I "wanted" this one. :)

Edited by tt0511

DD's are a bit more coin than the S&W Sport but you should be very happy with it none the less.

You should know that you are probably now afflicted with "BRD" or Black Rifle Disease, which is not only a chronic condition it is also very contagious!

Enjoy your new addiction, but becareful or you'll wake up one day with a big'ole safe full of the suckers!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got out to the range to sight in my rifle. Boy did we have fun. This was sighting in the iron sights at 100 yards. I can't wait to get a red dot sight. On the second group, I had adjusted the front sight the wrong way and compensated back up on the third group. I'm not a terribly good shot at 100 yards with the iron sights but did the best I could. Hopefully this is zero'd in well enough. My first rifle and first time zeroing one.

SightingInDDAR15.jpg

Edited by tt0511