Revolution (the TV show)

On the muskets etc comments...remember electricity is gone. Not stuff was zapped, but electricity itself doesn't work. So 15 years later I think ammo is going to be in short supply. You can only reload so many times right? How many people can make new primers and cases without electricity?

That's a LOT of shooting that would have had to happen for all loaded ammo to have been expended...multiple times as you suggest...

Over all, it's a TV show. It's not going to be perfect.

Nowhere near it, I could write pages. I've been waiting for someone else to, but...it's really not that important...

If you can suspend disbelief to enjoy a zombie show, why not roll with electricity not working?

That would have to be a LOT of disbelief suspension going on. The electricity thing, no big deal, that's not unbelievable at all, but so much more ranges from inaccurate to just pure b.s.

I watched the first episode to confirm my suspicions, it was much worse than I thought it would be. Gullible people may even be mislead into thinking that a SHTF situation of the magnitude portrayed in this tv show might not be so bad.

A much more realistic portrayal would be -

After Armageddon Part 1/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maL9RUoG5fc

I originally saw this on the web (youtube?) as a single piece, but I can only find the 5-part version on YouTube.

This is MUCH more accurate as compared to the tv show REVOLUTION, however this video focuses on a few month period after SHTF, not 15 years later like the REVOLUTION tv show which skips a lot (although they intend to "explain" a lot using flashbacks throughout the series). Perhaps they can explain how everyone looks like models, with designer clothes, perfect hair all the time, never thinking about food (it must be a given that it's just there!). I could go on and on. It also has somewhat of a lefty liberal slant in certain aspects.

Just my 48¢.

That After Armageddon is on demand right now on History Channel (or H2) I think. I just watched it on Comcast On Demand two weeks ago or so. Search for it. It is pretty decent, but you'll hate the kid.

It also has somewhat of a lefty liberal slant in certain aspects.

The biggest theme I have caught, as I mentioned before, is that it appears to be PRO second amendment. Time will tell, I suppose...but again, they make a point of the fact that ONLY the "government" is allowed to have guns, and if a civvie is caught with one, the penalty is death. The fact it is the bad guys imposing that rule, and they have painted the good guys as needing to get the guns seems rather supportive of our cause.

Could be wishful thinking on my part.

EDIT: Its also possible that the writers realize gun ownership is at an all time high, and that they should try to appeal to that audience.

Edited by atlas3025

I watched two episodes and I think this show is HORRIBLE. Beyond all of the well scrubbed people without access to hot water, and the clothes in good repair, the story line is so full of holes it has no chance to make it to Christmas, much less a second season. It is HORRIBLE.

That After Armageddon is on demand right now on History Channel (or H2) I think. I just watched it on Comcast On Demand two weeks ago or so. Search for it. It is pretty decent, but you'll hate the kid.

Yeah, the kid (and the wife) got on my nerves.
The biggest theme I have caught, as I mentioned before, is that it appears to be PRO second amendment. Time will tell, I suppose...but again, they make a point of the fact that ONLY the "government" is allowed to have guns, and if a civvie is caught with one, the penalty is death. The fact it is the bad guys imposing that rule, and they have painted the good guys as needing to get the guns seems rather supportive of our cause.

Could be wishful thinking on my part.

EDIT: Its also possible that the writers realize gun ownership is at an all time high, and that they should try to appeal to that audience.

Making the 'bad guys' out to be "militia" was intentional in my opinion to paint TEA Party type people as evil oppressors by association because they believe in "guns and bibles". A lot of subtle/subliminal suggestions of liberal thinking. I see the main character girl as a liberal who doesn't wish to inflict harm on anyone even at peril of her own life.

Yeah, I can't buy it.

The dead mother who is now being held captive.

The Uncle who just happens to be the bad guy's best friend.

The imaginary faraday cage that now encompasses the world, except for the little necklaces.

The fact that the father was in on the conspiracy, but he never built a computer and joined the private chat that the others did.

The naive Katniss Everdeen clone that won't let her uncle kill a bounty hunter, but can suddenly kill a warden in cold blood.

Then there is the whole American Flag/Rebels thing and the outlawing of guns. Sure, that is nice. But all in all that is all I can take away, and then even then the premise of the 'militia' suddenly overriding everything else... Nope.

It is The Postman, Falling Skies, The Walking Dead, Flash Forward and The Hunger Games all rolled into one plot that is supposedly viewing gold.

I am not sure I will make it through the third episode.

• Like 1

Some of the stuff you guys are bitching about makes me shake my head. It's a TV show aiming for a mass audience, so no they aren't going for gritty realism with clothing and such.

The uncle/bad guy bit? He only knows about the "conspiracy" because of his friend. Maybe that was part of his motivation of going from Sgt. to General (or whatever his title is). Also, without that, not much show is there?

The girl. She is a teenager raised in a village, not a murdering street thug. As to ganking the warden, it's called personal growth. Also, you don't consider killing in a fight (warden) different from killing a unconscious prisoner (bounty hunter)?

I could go on, but it's just a show. It's not great cinema, it's not a survival training video, etc. I get why you guys don't like it, but not why all the hate.

• Like 1

The inaccuracies I can deal with, but the show just generally insults my intelligence. They feel the need to over-explain and tell you the patently obvious. My wife and I watched 2 episodes and we both agreed that we're done with it. If we hear that the show dramatically improves later then maybe we'll give it another shot, but for now there's far better shows competing for my time.

• Like 1

One of the rules around my house is to give something three chances before you make a solid decision.

I won't buy an album from a new artist until I have heard at least three songs off of it.

I will take at least three bits of something before I say it isn't fit to eat (sour milk is an exception...)

So I was impressed with last night's episode.

It doesn't make up for the lack of prowess of the first two episodes, but it does develop the characters a little more, and make them more palatable.

I guess I will watch the fourth episode...

I watched the first 2 and wrote it off for all the reasons previously noted. However, what also gets me is the fat dude that used to work for google or whatever - he is still fat. That fat would have fed him for the first few months but not after.

• Like 1

I just finished Ep. 3. I suppose I will let the TiVo pick up some more episodes while I wait to hear if it's getting canned or not. IF it's going to make it, I'll probably keep watching. So far it's not making me want more, the way Jericho* did.

* A non-cable network show about SHTF that did NOT suck until it got rushed to get canned.

I just finished Ep. 3. I suppose I will let the TiVo pick up some more episodes while I wait to hear if it's getting canned or not. IF it's going to make it, I'll probably keep watching. So far it's not making me want more, the way Jericho* did.

* A non-cable network show about SHTF that did NOT suck until it got rushed to get canned.

Jericho was the much better show.

• Like 1

When the rebel sniper went up to the roof, his very first shot should have taken the militia captain out.

THIS! And he'd STILL have a bag full of ammo left. Did't we prove this in the AMerican Revolution? Take out commanding officers, the fight dies down considerably.

• Like 1

THIS! And he'd STILL have a bag full of ammo left. Did't we prove this in the AMerican Revolution? Take out commanding officers, the fight dies down considerably.

It's the same strategy one uses when outnumbered by a pack of criminals. Identify the leader, take him out, and the rest will scatter like the cowards that they are.

Did anyone else notice that demolition girl was able to rig the place to blow (and later a whole bridge), but wasn't able to make a grenade-like explosive to lob over the dumpster to get the captain, or the other attackers? Of course if the shooter had done what we all thought, that wouldn't have been necessary.

Or the captain sending guys in one at a time to run him out of bullets instead of all at once...a sniper can only shoot so fast and can't repel a commited mob with only 10-20 yards of ground between them. Plus nobody on milita side using suppresive fire, even it is with muzzies. PLus, it's one guy on a roof of a 4-sided building...I guess the captain was never taught about flanking.

Tactically, it was dumb on both sides, but keeping the captain alive and the main characters alive let them move the story along by revealing Miles' connection to the militia.

Edited by monkeylizard

Did anyone else notice that demolition girl was able to rig the place to blow (and later a whole bridge), but wasn't able to make a grenade-like explosive to lob over the dumpster to get the captain, or the other attackers? Of course if the shooter had done what we all thought, that wouldn't have been necessary.

Or the captain sending guys in one at a time to run him out of bullets instead of all at once...a sniper can only shoot so fast and can't repel a commited mob with only 10-20 yards of ground between them. Plus nobody on milita side using suppresive fire, even it is with muzzies. PLus, it's one guy on a roof of a 4-sided building...I guess the captain was never taught about flanking.

Tactically, it was dumb on both sides, but keeping the captain alive and the main characters alive let them move the story along by revealing Miles' connection to the militia.

Did you likewise notice that two women were able to outrun the soldiers marching in formation and get far enough ahead of them to rig the demo charges on the bridge??? THem chicks can really get diggin!