Am I the only person in America annoyed by the "pink ribbon" marketing ploy?

I've said this before, and I'm annoyed enough tonight to say it again. I'm always interested in how the breast cancer awareness movement has become a very successful marketing ploy. Breast cancer awareness has become a huge trend and it really peeves me that it gets so much more attention and funding than other types of cancer that are just as deadly if not more so. More men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year than women (and men) are diagnosed with breast cancer. Almost as many of these men die as women die of breast cancer. See any ribbons for prostate cancer pasted all over the place or professional sports having "blue ribbon" days? More people are diagnosed and die from colorectal cancer than breast cancer. About 4 times as many people die from lung cancer than breast cancer.

Heck, more people die from the flu, stroke, Alzheimer's, heart attacks, and diabetes than die from breast cancer. Almost as many people kill themselves as die from breast cancer. Over 1 million kids are victims of child abuse each year, which is 5 times the number of diagnosed cases of breast cancer.

Sorry folks, but I'm not a big fan of the breast cancer special interest group.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I do see a lot of live strong bracelets even now since the rubber bracelet trend has worn off. My wife was looking thru a SMKW catalog last night and mentioned the breast cancer knives. I would suggest researching how much of the money you spend actually goes to the research before purchasing any product as such. Usually very little.

JTM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeez...we should just round up everyone who has breast cancer and throw them in a volcano. How dare they!

Have we run out of liberals to beat to death, today?

I am of course kidding (a little) but this whole topic is worthy of a poke by a sharp stick.

breast cancer gets too much attention. Need to spend on some of our other diseases at that level, we might cure something rather than fail at one thing.

Some might say if you can't save the boobs, who cares if you die from some other disease. Take away beer and handguns too and I bet there'd be people jumping off bridges nationwide.

if i remember right, in past years funding for breast cancer research was a cause celebre for feminists, who thought that patriarchal society was dragging its feet and letting women die out of plain misogyny.

i think that even today that idea has a small effect: the tone of the fund-raising and public-service campaigns always feels slightly "activist" to me.

anyway, it's a free country; people will pick the cancers they care most about.

My wife is considered "high risk" for breast cancer because of family history. I really do appreciate the attention that she is given, but also understand the amount of resources that are dedicated to these individuals. After working extensively with a "cancer bank", I think that the resource focus to because this is among the few cancers, that if detected early enough, where the success rate is high.

Edited by quietguy
  • Like 1

Just curious (because I really don't know), but doesn't breast cancer research help find treatments for cancer in general?

It does in a sense, but that is one of the issues with treating cancer. Cancer is nothing more that a targeted genetic mutation. Thus, research into one form doesn't generally help with the treatment of another form.

My wife is considered "high risk" for breast cancer because of family history. I really do appreciate the attention that she is given, but also understand the amount of resources that are dedicated to these individuals. After working extensively with a "cancer bank", I think that the resource focus to because this is among the few cancers, that if detected early enough, where the success rate is high.

I appreciate that perspective because it's not one I have heard before. It's not that I am insensitive to breast cancer, but I don't know anyone personally who has suffered from breast cancer, but I know 4 people who are not related to one another in any way who are currently fighting or have died from multiple myeloma. I know two people personally who have dealt with testicular cancer. My mother in law is fighting melanoma. Someone said this topic is worthy of being poked with a sharp stick, but the sharp stick comes from society every day when we know people who are fighting any number of types of cancer, but we are beaten over the head with the pink ribbon campaign as if other types of cancer don't matter as much. I am personally sensitive to this because my mom died of multiple myeloma last October and while she was lying in a Hospice room dying, I was constantly approached by people for money to support breast cancer research. I am a member of the Shriners and I see children who need life-changing orthopedic and burn care, but there's no national push outside of the organization to fund their work. The speech therapy program at UT was almost shut down due to lack of funding, and there was very little public outcry over the situation (while the same building they are housed in - Neyland Stadium - was undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation for the football program).

Like I said earlier, breast cancer deaths, while very tragic for those who experience that illness first hand, account for only 7% of cancer deaths, but they get over 50% of federal cancer funds. We have an American Cancer Society. Where's the love for the group that funds research for all types of cancer? Where's the love for the Hospice groups who help the families suffering from terminal illness, cancer included?

You can cut off a handful of colon and still have plenty left over to get the job done.

Doesn't work the same for bewbs.

I would disagree. Many women can have a lumpectomy rather than a full mastectomy. Also, many who have a section of colon removed get to walk around with a colostomy bag strapped to their hip for the rest of their lives. In the grand scheme of things, I'd personally rather lose a testicle - or both - to doing that for the rest of my life. Not saying it would be anything I would enjoy and I am sure I would feel like my masculinity would be tarnished, but I can't imagine being forced to wearing a bag around my waist to crap in every day.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Ever have a sister, mother, daughter, or wife die from it? If ya haven't...your opinion might change. Setting back watching a woman stripped of a breast (if not two), hair, and dignity isn't easy. Nothing wrong with funding a project to try and help prevent or treat any kind of cancer. Will it ever be cured? I have my doubts, but never hurts to try.

When I used the term "your" I didn't mean you ETP. I just used it to make any person that reads this think before they type.

I just wanted to add one more thing. I never get tired of the pink ribbons, NRA ads, or hunting stickers.

Edited by Howler

I suspect that we over-fund AIDS research at least as much as breast cancer research...AIDS is almost 100% preventable and resides mostly in a particular segment of society while other diseases which aren't preventable and has far more wide-ranging impact get the scraps of the research dollars that AIDS gets.

It seems to be a fact of life that certain diseases obtain celebrity status and garner all the $$$.

It's always an outrage when people let emotions rule over reason. Guilt and fear are also effective tools to

gain support for groups but are almost always bad reasons.

If a private organization 1 has a better marketing campaign and can whip up more support for their cause than private organization 2, that doesn't say anything negative to me about PO1, it just means PO2 needs to do better work.

That's a good point, whether or not it's the case here. There are a lot of organizations that compete for donations.