Ankle Carry

herr.baer

If you are carrying a BUG via ankle carry, is it better to have it positioned outside ankle of your strong side or inside ankle of your weak side? Is one better than the other? Not that I can carry but it was something I was thinking about while bored at work. :rofl:

Well my father used to carry outside strong side and was very proficient with that setup, so much so that he was able to consistently qualify with an expert score under timed qualification shoots with his PD.

having said that there is at least one benefit to carrying inside weak if your a righty, that being if you need to get at your gun while driving you wouldn't need to take your foot away from the pedals to do it without having to noticeably reach for it.

You may or may not find one of them much easier to accomplish, you just have to try both to see what works.

I would think strongside/outside. I have never carried that way before but that is probably how I would do it. If for whatever reason I only had one hand to draw with (hopefully my stronghand) then it would be easier to manipulate a pants leg and draw. Of course that situation could be reversed. That's a good one.

I sat in Burger King the other night when a suspicious acting person came in. Any motion to unholster from my ankle would have been pointless. Potential perp had a direct line of sight on me and my ankle.

When ankle carrying, it is inside weak side (I'm a righty). I've thought about trying strong side outside, but I am afraid it will bump into things.

I do like the comment about driving. That's a very good point and case for left-ankle carry.

I ankle carried at work for over three months and no one had a clue. I think IWB will print too easily to attempt it. :(

At least ankle carry is better than leaving a firearm in a vehicle susceptible to break-in.

I sat in Burger King the other night when a suspicious acting person came in. Any motion to unholster from my ankle would have been pointless. Potential perp had a direct line of sight on me and my ankle.

I can't carry here in MD anyway but my thinking was more for a BUG not for EDC.

You have just asked a preference question so expect plenty of answers. I am inside on the weak side. The plan is to drop down on the right knee to retrieve the firearm. I also think ankle carry on the inside is less noticeable.

Edited by D3vo
  • Like 1

Inside of weak ankle. Done this for years with j-frame and more recently an LCP. Works well, understanding its not optimal. Another type of carrying I'm beginning to like is the belly band. Small guns are so nice, since they give you options.

Have to make a correction, my father was one of the inside weak side carriers. Been almost half a decade since he carried in that fashion but still surprised I forgot.

Either way one thing I said stands true, you gotta try a few things before you figure out what works for you.

This topic is making me want to go buy an ankle holster....any suggestions on brand/make for a ruger lcr?

I am fairly happy with the Uncle Mike's ankle holster. They come in different sizes for universal fit. No other brands I've seen online seem to be any better.

Inside weak side, J frame when I use that method.

I use a Galco Cop Ankle Band (CAB2S) when I do ankle carry and have been satisfied. It says put and is comfortable IMO. They have some that are higher quality that have a molded section for the gun but it is more bulky IMO. On the model I have it has padded suede section up against your leg and an elastic pouch the gun slips into.

I have (I think) a Pro-Tech. It's fine and is a lot cheaper than the Galco. I carry a PM9 inside weak-side.

I have considered getting the Galco band-style. It looks to be a bit thinner.

I have another one that I hate. It's huge. I'll post the brand name up later when I get home and can check it.

I have the Galco ankle glove. The one with the sheep skin on the inside.

I carry outside strong side. I don't wear my pants tight so there is no bulge.

Reading this I may try inside weak side for a day or two.

My gun for ankle carry is Glock 27 gen3.

Another inside weak here, feels best that way to me. I've only been carrying for about a year. Thats where my .32acp Beretta Tomcat stays when I have pants on. In shorts I throw my little NAA .22mag in my pocket...much better to have than nothing. For anyone thinking that you'd bump your legs together with it on the inside(what I thought before I tried it), that doesnt happen. Its very comfortable. My holster is made by Acecase and was cheap, only $20 at a gunshow.

Inside weak leg with a Galco ankle glove. Added the calf strap. It really works well. I've been carrying a g33 in it for about 3 years.

I also bought one of Galco's ankle accessory bands for the other ankle. I carry a spare mag in it. It doesn't work as well as I would like as the mag has a tendency to work itself out. I need to put a Velcro loop over the top to help secure it.

I had one of our manufacturing reps with me one day making some customer calls. As we approached one of my customers the mag worked free and skidded across the floor. My customer grinned, picked it up and made me show him my rig. My rep (from Boston area) looked like he had swallowed something really sour. He was mortified.

My customer told him to get over it as that was how we rolled in the south... He got a discount on his next order from me.

Mark