Dog question

A dog is an animal not a person. The threshold for killing a dog is pretty low. If I feel like a dog may bite and I have my gun, he will be a dead dog. I hunt, so i have no problems killing an animal. People need to keep their dogs penned up and strays need to be gotten rid of. If I lived in the country and had aggressive or stray dogs on my property, I know a 22 would fix the problem. Thankfully, I live in town and dogs are all fenced in, so I can walk and not have to deal with dog problems. I used to shoot strays as a kid with BB and pellet guns. These were not aggressive dogs. I was always disappointed I wasn't allowed to shoot them with a 22, but parents said it was too much hassle to dispose of a dead dog. If you had to clean up the messes strays made when they got in your trash, you would want to use a 22 rifle too.

Well, my dogs may be animals but I value their lives way more than people like you. You might want to be careful whose dog you aim at cause some owners just might shoot back if they get the chance.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I think its pretty clear that we all love our animals on here.I am known to bring dogs and kittens home all the time and try to save the world.

I would if I could.

And I am sure people do not enjoy shooting other peoples pets or dogs..but if they are getting attacked or their kids are being threatend..it has to be done. They are still animals after all..It wasnt that long ago that they where feral and wild..You ever had 2 or more good size dogs follow you and come after you? or threaten to bite your child? I think no one would fault anyone else for trying to protect themselfs or their loved ones ..

A dog is an animal not a person. The threshold for killing a dog is pretty low. If I feel like a dog may bite and I have my gun, he will be a dead dog. I hunt, so i have no problems killing an animal. People need to keep their dogs penned up and strays need to be gotten rid of. If I lived in the country and had aggressive or stray dogs on my property, I know a 22 would fix the problem. Thankfully, I live in town and dogs are all fenced in, so I can walk and not have to deal with dog problems. I used to shoot strays as a kid with BB and pellet guns. These were not aggressive dogs. I was always disappointed I wasn't allowed to shoot them with a 22, but parents said it was too much hassle to dispose of a dead dog. If you had to clean up the messes strays made when they got in your trash, you would want to use a 22 rifle too.

this right here says a whole lot about you..

really sad...

• Like 1

:down: I'm not going to say much because anything I'd say would be held against me in a court of law. But being dissapointed by not getting to kill anything is shameful. And hunting is different. It serves a purpose by providing for the hunter. A true hunter will even tell you to make sure you take a good shot so as not to be cruel to the animal by letting it wander off and die in the woods. Even if a dog did have to be shot it's a sad event. Not something to be relished in. And BTW, most strays are strays because of stupid humans who are irresponsible with their own animals. I'd gladly take a stray in before most people I meet.

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Like 1

My dogs are my family and my hunting partners. Some of ya'll claim you "will shoot" you protect your family at all cost. How about some of us? I'll shoot in defense of my dogs against a human or animal aggressor. I had one poor soul shoot one of my hunting dogs. He'll never do that again!

Dave S

• Like 2

My dogs are my family and my hunting partners. Some of ya'll claim you "will shoot" you protect your family at all cost. How about some of us? I'll shoot in defense of my dogs against a human or animal aggressor. I had one poor soul shoot one of my hunting dogs. He'll never do that again!

Dave S

Of course it goes both ways..God forbit someone would shoot my dog.But there is a difference..I do no not let my dogs roam..EVER.

Now if someone would come onto my property and trying to harm my dogs..you bet I would do anything to protect them..

I also have 3 cats that go outside..but thats awhole different subject:)

Where we love we can hear dogs run and bay at night some where actually really close to our house..I mean they ran right by our house ,I guess running after coons since it was at night...Our dogs went nuts..But we didnt go out and try to kill them.We knew they are hunting and just doing their job..

I can assure that anyone who tries to harm one of my dogs will be met with an overwhelming amount of force. They are my family and you may as well be shooting my wife or son because my response is going to be the same. They never leave our property unless they are leashed so if someone decides to "protect" themselves from our dogs they will no longer need to worry about the dogs. Especially if they are on my property when they decide to protect themselves from our pets.

I liken domesticated animals to people in what they can get away with. If a person, or domesticated animal, becomes threatening you remove the threat. If they trespass you run them off and in no way are you allowed to shoot someone, or a domesticated animal, for trespassing. The thought of shooting a dog with a BB gun is reprehensible and actually against the law. With a BB gun it shows that the person has no intentions of removing a threat, only maiming or causing an animal to suffer and possible die a slow miserable death.

There was an older gent in Walmart the other day looking for a pellet rifle to harm, and not kill, his neighbors dog. He was told by several people it was against the law. He insisted on buying a pellet rifle and the store clerk told him to go somewhere else. Really surprized me but glad they did it. Hope his neighbor catches him before he hurts his pets or beats him without mercy until LE shows up.

Dolomite

• Like 2

I can assure that anyone who tries to harm one of my dogs will be met with an overwhelming amount of force. They are my family and you may as well be shooting my wife or son because my response is going to be the same. They never leave our property unless they are leashed so if someone decides to "protect" themselves from our dogs they will no longer need to worry about the dogs. Especially if they are on my property when they decide to protect themselves from our pets.

I liken domesticated animals to people in what they can get away with. If a person, or domesticated animal, becomes threatening you remove the threat. If they trespass you run them off and in no way are you allowed to shoot someone, or a domesticated animal, for trespassing. The thought of shooting a dog with a BB gun is reprehensible and actually against the law. With a BB gun it shows that the person has no intentions of removing a threat, only maiming or causing an animal to suffer and possible die a slow miserable death.

There was an older gent in Walmart the other day looking for a pellet rifle to harm, and not kill, his neighbors dog. He was told by several people it was against the law. He insisted on buying a pellet rifle and the store clerk told him to go somewhere else. Really surprized me but glad they did it. Hope his neighbor catches him before he hurts his pets or beats him without mercy until LE shows up.

Dolomite

Very well said!

Dave S

Sour Kraut and GNmwilliams,

The kind of dogs I am referring to are not people's pets or fit to be pets. They are just half wild dogs that run in groups. In some rural areas there are not dog catchers to catch and euthanize these types of animals that make messes in people's yards, get into livestock, and pass disease. I have caught many a deer dog, kept them overnight and fed, and called the owner in the morning. People have done the same for my dogs.

There is a difference between a mangey stray that is half wild and a pet. I knew and still know a lot of people that is all they can do with mangey half wild stray cats and dogs is to destroy them because there is no animal service.

Edited by 270win

By your own words you shoot non aggressive dogs.

I understand. I am talking about Red Ryder type BB guns and pellet guns with not much air in them used to run dogs off. Maybe we should have used something different but that was what was used to run the strays off. I guess that is a lot better than 22 ratshot that i have known old people to use on dogs getting into the trash to run them off.

GNWilliams,

Yes when they are mangey strays that are half wild. Those are not much different than coyotes or other pests in the country. They do the same things as coyotes and again are not pets or fit to be pets.

Mangey strays that are half wild are not neighbor's pets or pets that are lost a short time. Wild mangey cats can be just as bad and also basically go feral.

Edited by 270win

I'm gonna sign off this conversation and file it under the not worth arguing category to keep the peace.

Yeah this topic seems to have regressed rapidly to the point where there will be few participating who will come out looking good to any outsider looking in.

I'm out.

The kind of dogs I am referring to are not people's pets or fit to be pets. They are just half wild dogs that run in groups. In some rural areas there are not dog catchers to catch and euthanize these types of animals that make messes in people's yards, get into livestock, and pass disease. I have caught many a deer dog, kept them overnight and fed, and called the owner in the morning. People have done the same for my dogs.

There is a difference between a mangey stray that is half wild and a pet. I knew and still know a lot of people that is all they can do with mangey half wild stray cats and dogs is to destroy them because there is no animal service.

I agree with you, dogs that have no owners are strays and not pets they eventually go back to living in a pack. They breed and make bigger packs, they get into the trash, kill peoples livestock, and chase and kill other animals like deer. They become a nuisance, like feral pigs. I live in a rural area there is no animal control. Many times when I have been deer hunting I have seen these packs of wild dogs and the main problem is they are not afraid of humans so they just roam the woods with no fear. I have had too many hunts ruined by useless strays, I have also dropped several right in there tracks, cruel, maybe, but I am far from heartless I had to put down my own dog and cried like a baby. It's all a matter of circumstance you see. Just the other day a stray dog showed up on my door step and was growling at my american bulldog, I didn't go out and shoot him, I hauled him away from my house and dropped him off, just what someone else had done to him. He was an adult shepard mix ,best I could tell, his sides were sunk in, he probably weighed 35lbs he should have weighed close to a 100 lbs. If he comes back I'll probably put him out of his misery. I don't want to argue I am simply stating reality, is it better to shoot the dog or let him starve to death? For you city dwellers that have animal control be thankful this is something you don't have to deal with, they deal with euthanizing dogs everyday. Where I live, we don't have animal control, strays are a serious problem.

An animal should not be shot with ANYTHING that cannot humanely kill it. It should not matter what the animal is or whether it is wild or not. I understand killing animals that must be killed but if it must be done it must be as humane as possible.

Dolomite

Dolomite I completely agree with you I never shoot to injure an animal.

All this bravado about what someone will do to someone over a dog is comical. What would you do to a UPS or Fedex guy who is attempting to deliver a package you ordered and kicks your dog to avoid being bitten? You going to shoot him too? If you do anything more than cuss him out, you'll go to jail or even prison. Yes I know, Fluffy would never hurt a flea. Fluffy won't hurt YOU, but often changes personalities when a stranger comes on your property. I've witnessed it hundreds of times.

I wonder if all this rabid love for dogs translates to cats, too. I suspect otherwise.

It is not bravado.

If someone is on my property, without a reason or authority to be here, they will be met with an overwhelming amount of force to remove them from my property. Then they will find themselves being arrested. I can escalate to whatever means I feel is needed, up to but not including deadly force, to remove a trespasser from my property. It is also my choice how much force is needed, I ask them to leave and if they refuse I can continue to ask or I can grab them and physically remove them. And if they resist in any way they might find themselves going to the hospital enroute the jail. And I will be in the right if I do. I do not have to call the cops and wait for them to remove someone.

If someone is on my property, without the authority to be there, and they use a firearm or other weapon to kill my dog they will be shot. And if they survive they will be arrested. I don't care if my dog is chewing their throat out they have NO right to protect themselves if they are on my property illegally. I can also dictate what guests use to protect themselves while on my property. If a person is a guest or here legally and my dog attacks the guest can stop that attack using any means they want.

These rules also apply to my cats.

Dolomite

• Like 1

It is not bravado.

If someone is on my property, without a reason or authority to be here, they will be met with an overwhelming amount of force to remove them from my property. Then they will find themselves being arrested. I can escalate to whatever means I feel is needed, up to but not including deadly force, to remove a trespasser from my property. It is also my choice how much force is needed, I ask them to leave and if they refuse I can continue to ask or I can grab them and physically remove them. And if they resist in any way they might find themselves going to the hospital enroute the jail. And I will be in the right if I do. I do not have to call the cops and wait for them to remove someone.

If someone is on my property, without the authority to be there, and they use a firearm or other weapon to kill my dog they will be shot. And if they survive they will be arrested. I don't care if my dog is chewing their throat out they have NO right to protect themselves if they are on my property illegally. I can also dictate what guests use to protect themselves while on my property. If a person is a guest or here legally and my dog attacks the guest can stop that attack using any means they want.

These rules also apply to my cats.

Dolomite

Dang, couldn't have said it better myself! Now look at the flipside of the coin if I'm walking on my property or down a public road and I feel "threatened"(not scared) I will dispatch any animal whatsoever, pet or not disreguarding laws or seasonal restrictions on killing such animals. If man has the liberty to be on his property or a public area, he should not have to fear his life or fear in protecting his life no matter what may threaten him, rabid animal, pet, or another man.

So if a Fedex guy, who is technically uninvited, attempts to make a delivery, gets attacked by your dog, and kills the dog as a result, you would have no problem with said Fedex guy? if not, I think we are on the same page.

That's more where I'm coming from. If my dog seriously hurts you(not talking about an abvious accident) and you don't kill it I will it is no longer a pet but a predator. And though I will cry like a baby, in the end I know things have been made right.