What would you buy?

rcrespo106

So my wife had planned to take a trip back to New Jersey and throw me a 40 birthday party in June but I'm really not up for it. So she gave me the go ahead to spend $1500 (give or take a few bucks either way) on a new addition to my growing collection. I was wondering what should I get and was looking for ideas. I was leaning towards a .308 rifle. I should have an AK by then so that will not be on my list. what do you guys think, what is the best value for $1500? keep in mind I don't hunt but love to get out to the range. I would list out the guns I already have but none of them come close to $1500 (not even half that) in value so I won't waste my time.

Guest rebeldrummer

Well depending on how much to one side you can lean, you might look into a SCAR in .308?

That would be assuming you like semi auto .308's.

Maybe a Springfield M1 A

LaRue OBR

A high end 1911

FN 5 7

Maybe even an SBR project or a suppressor?

Wait...I think I just gave you my list as well!! Ha ha ha....either way. Good luck and keep us posted.

DPMS makes a 308 in the AR platform well below your budget. You'd have plenty left over for store bought ammo or even a decent reloading setup with components to roll your own.

You could also go the FAL route as well and get a good one with that kind of scratch.

Or you could build one hell of a range gun in a bolt action platform.

Aside from not hunting what are your primary shooting interests? A little more info could really help us help you narrow it down.

<edit> rebel drummer just hit the nail on the head IMO, Springfield M1. "Bring enough gun."

Edited by TrickyNicky

other interest would be a nice rig for a SHTF situation. Lucky for me my wife can be pretty paranoid and with all the "zombie" stuff going on in the last year and the doomsday preppers shows she has been more open to my hobby. I already reload and have everything I need except the .308 dies. would really love to have a sub MOA gun. I would also like to have a nice well rounded gun collection. current guns are below.

Ruger 22/45 hunter

ruger lcp

Glock 19

Glock 30sf

Taurus 605 poly .357

ruger 10/22

Marlin 1894c .357

mossberg 500

ar15 (palmetto states lower with BCM upper).

Soon Saiga 332 to convert.

Yeah, I'm thinking an M1 would fit the bill nicely.

They're snazzy as is of you could easily attach any number of tacticool add ons to make it yours.

Other than that unless your bound and determined to spend it all on any one gun I'd start looking at some combinations to get you more options. You could get a Ruger Gunsite scout rifle along with a CETME and your dies and probably finish it off with enough to get some 308 brass and bullets.

The M1A has been very High on my list only question about that is which one. I really like the socom but do I really want another 16" barreled gun. The Scout is also very nice and that gets me up to 18" then there is the standard with the 22" barrel. I've read some where that with the m1a there is little difference in velocity and accuracy with the longer barrels but I'm not sure how true that is.

For your budget, if you want a very accurate bench gun in 308, you could consider the Savage 12 Benchrest in 308. You would then have $400 for a nice scope. This would challenge you in other ways, especially since you reload. That gun is capable of 1/2 MOA easily. The fun (at least for me) is working up a load for the gun and really working on shooting technique to see how good YOU can make it shoot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57415

While Savage's aren't always the prettiest guns, they are typically the best value of accuracy vs. cost.

If you want to spend more on the gun and save up for a scope, I would consider a Cooper. There are a million possibilities. If you want something more tactical, then I am not the guy to give opinions. I have a few AR-15's, but not an AR-10.

More information would really be need to given to make a good recommendation. You don't have a bolt gun. My personal opinion would be to have at least one bolt gun.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I would second the AR-10 style gun or a used SCAR if you find a smoking deal if doing a precision(ish) weapon, but that said....

I would probably just go the stamp route and get a Colt 6933, DD mk18, or BCM 11.5. It will be a much better convo piece at the range, probably more fun, etc. Although I don't do long range because I'm limited to about 600 yards and precision weapons are a little slow paced for me. Which is all personal preference.

Everyone will be different, but for my use I know I would like to have a snazzy uber long range rifle, but it would just be a something I drop a ton of money in then pull out every other year. To me thats no fun.

Edit: grammer fail.

Edited by JMP

M1A or scar17 would be my vote as well. Generally speaking I like to have a gun in the caliber it was designed for, and as much as I like ARs I know I will have other 308 rifles purchased before I consider a 308 AR.

M1A or scar17 would be my vote as well. Generally speaking I like to have a gun in the caliber it was designed for, and as much as I like ARs I know I will have other 308 rifles purchased before I consider a 308 AR.

The AR-10 came before the AR-15. ;)

Regardless, I would much prefer an M1A.

8010177721_0a70ae4fb7.jpg

That's my dpms ar in 260 rem the 308 shoots just as good. That's 4 shots at less than .2" 100 yards. I have several friends with same rifle in varying setups in .308 6.5 creed more and .260 they all get similar results. I love the m1a mine though cost $500 more and it's groups we're 2" bigger.

ok so I think it is going to be between an ar-10 type rifle or an M1A. I can get the ar-10 and a good scope for the price of the M1A and I would have a more accurate rifle. but the M1A is just cool as hell.

Edited by rcrespo106

ok so I think it is going to be between an ar-10 type rifle or an M1A. I can get the ar-10 and a good scope for the price of the M1A and I would have a more accurate rifle. but the M1A is just cool as hell.

I used to think so too...until I realized I had to have a monster cheek pad to be able to use a scope...then I had to take the cheek pad off to use the Iron Sites. I have had a SOCOM 16 and an M1A--and I really like them--but I have a SCAR now and it lightyears beyong the M1A. But if I didn't have a SCAR, I would go with an AR-308 of some sort. Either a SIG716 or DPMS Likley. I have shot both, and they both were terrific!

Edited by atlas3025