Seal Team Six, National Geographic Movie, Are you Going to Watch

runco

I watched it because I dig Hell On Wheel's Anson Mount (from TN!). I didn't get very worked up over political messages in it. I didn't really detect any. If it was a campaign piece for Obama, I didn't pick up on it.

They had Obama speaking in his voice of the political ramifications if it turned out to not be a baddie in the compound, or if the op was botched...but I didn't get the impression of Obama kicking ass and demanding we get Osama. It portrayed him as hesitant for good reason. I don't think this show will change anyone's mind...and I didn't get the impression it was trying to. Edited by atlas3025
  • Like 1
I saw it - I thought I portrayed the senior govt officials as crapweasels.

I also thought they deliberately left the paki doctors fate out especially in light of his remarks wondering where the US would be when he was found out. He was arrested of course! No mention in the film.

All in all I give this flick a "Meh" Edited by Hershmeister
After having read No Easy Day, and then watching this horrible piece of drama, I wish I had that two hours of my life back. So many factual errors compared to the book that there's no point even watching this if you haven't already.

I imagine production started on this piece before No Easy Day was announced. Upon announcements that someone who was there firsthand with facts of the operation was writing the book, a huge "ah, ####" was likely breathed by the Hollywood production team. Edited by ReefBlueCoupe
Guest rebeldrummer
I DVR'd it and watched it last night...it was good. not great, but good.

it was about real heros...not heros from a made up story line. so that alone made it good.

i also like to see what weapons they put in there and all that fun stuff....
i could care less about the ratings aspect as it proves nothing as to my affiliation to a certain party.
if you think otherwise...well, that is just nuts.
[quote name='Mike.357' timestamp='1352131589' post='839376']
not sure why I should care about profit metrics of a tv channel.

At any rate it was not much of a movie. Glad I dvr'd it and was ablel to fast forward through the abundance of commercials.
[/quote]

It was terrible! Edited by LINKS2K
[quote name='atlas3025' timestamp='1352154691' post='839581']
I watched it because I dig Hell On Wheel's Anson Mount (from TN!). I didn't get very worked up over political messages in it. I didn't really detect any. If it was a campaign piece for Obama, I didn't pick up on it.

They had Obama speaking in his voice of the political ramifications if it turned out to not be a baddie in the compound, or if the op was botched...but I didn't get the impression of Obama kicking ass and demanding we get Osama. It portrayed him as hesitant for good reason. I don't think this show will change anyone's mind...and I didn't get the impression it was trying to.
[/quote]

Good review. Lots of bad acting.
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352239674' post='840338']
Was Demi Moore in this one too?

Sorry, gotta keep the SEALs grounded... nothing like a GI Jane reference to take wind outa their sails.
[/quote]

The Master Chief (SEAL) that I worked for when the movie was released would get rather angry when I brought that subject up in our conversations when we were out in the field. LOL
[url="http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/09/navy-seals-busted-for-giving-secrets-to-make-video-game-more-real/?hpt=hp_t3"]http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/09/navy-seals-busted-for-giving-secrets-to-make-video-game-more-real/?hpt=hp_t3[/url]

[b] [url="http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/09/navy-seals-busted-for-giving-secrets-to-make-video-game-more-real/"]Navy SEALs punished for revealing secrets to video game maker[/url][/b]

By Mike Mount
Seven U.S. Navy SEALs have been reprimanded for giving up classified information connected to their tradecraft so a video game could seem more realistic, according to a navy official.
The seven were charged with the unauthorized showing of their official combat gear and dereliction of duty for disclosing classified material after an investigation found the seven to have worked as paid consultants for two days with the video game company Electronic Arts, according to a U.S. Navy official familiar with the investigation.
The work, done around the late spring and early summer, was unauthorized by their commanders and against military regulations according to the Navy official.
All seven are active duty members of SEAL Team 6, considered the most elite of the Navy’s SEAL community. CBS News, which first reported this story, says at least one of the members was on the raid that killed Osama bin Laden last year.
The seven, all senior enlisted sailors, received their punishment Thursday at their base in Virginia. All seven were given a letter of reprimand and their pay taken for two months. The move essentially prevents their chances for promotion and ends their military careers.

Four other SEALs who have since transferred to west coast SEAL teams are still under investigation, according to the official.
The seven members were consulting with Electronic Arts on the game “Medal of Honor: Warfighter,” according to the official. The game touts that it is developed with the help of former and active duty commandos.
"Naval Special Warfare (NSW) takes all allegations of misconduct seriously and conducts investigations to determine the facts. We likewise take seriously the Non-Disclosure Agreements signed by Sailors and adherence to the articles of the Uniformed Code of Military Justice,” said Rear Adm. Garry Bonelli, Deputy Commander of the Naval Special Warfare Center in a statement given to Security Clearance.
"We do not tolerate deviations from the policies that govern who we are and what we do as Sailors in the United States Navy. The non-judicial punishment decisions made today send a clear message throughout our Force that we are and will be held to a high standard of accountability,” Bonelli, said.
The disclosure of the extra curricular activities of the SEALs comes on the heels of recently retired SEAL who was on the bin Laden raid and wrote a book about the operation.
The publication of the book released a firestorm of complaints toward the author by the Pentagon which said the book revealed secret information about how the SEALs operate. Pentagon officials threatened the author with legal action if the book was published.
To date there has been no further action toward the author Matt Bissonette, who wrote the book under the name Mark Owen.

Post by: [url="http://security.blogs.cnn.com/tag/by-cnn-senior-national-security-producer-mike-mount/"]By CNN Senior National Security Producer Mike Mount[/url]
Filed under: [url="http://security.blogs.cnn.com/category/military/navy-seals/"]Navy SEALs[/url]
Not sure I follow the logic behind reprimanding soldiers for this movie (and video game now?) when the O administration has done nothing but pimp out the seals to hollywood for the past two years.
Where was their uproar when O released classified info for the OBL takedown?
Where was their uproar when the O Administration [u]forced [/u]seals to cooperate, star in and release classified info for Act Of Valor?

[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1352497935' post='842693']
No, the news already spoiled the ending for me.
[/quote]
best answer yet
[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1352499112' post='842715']Not sure I follow the logic behind reprimanding soldiers for this movie (and video game now?) when the O administration has done nothing but pimp out the seals to hollywood for the past two years.
Where was their uproar when O released classified info for the OBL takedown?
Where was their uproar when the O Administration [u]forced [/u]seals to cooperate, star in and release classified info for Act Of Valor?

best answer yet[/quote]

They aren't Soldiers, they're Sailors.

Other than that, yes it is sad that we hold our military personnel to a higher standard than those that occupy the White House, but that is the way it has always been and will continue to be. There is a reason that non-disclosure statements and security clearances exist. There is no room and no excuse for members of the community to do what they did. It is inconsequential that much of this is open-source due to the White House. If the actions of these SEALs go unanswered it will be the same as condoning them. They deserve punishment. They have certainly met the criteria to have their clearances pulled, although it probably won't go past mast.
  • Like 1