Suggestions on home defense shotguns

I like the judge, but I felt like I could get a shotgun for less money. A smaller sized shotgun is a consideration since this would also be for my wife to use when I am not home. I will say that I am for a pump shotgun so that I can give warning that I have it ready to go. This may "give away my postition" as some other threads have said that I have read, but I would like to have the safety of not hitting a family member.
True, the pump action has a huge intimidation factor. By the time you have your hands on it hopefully that factor carries more weight.

Think of the house layout and what is most crucial to protect. A long gun could be easy to block if you have to turn corners...but it sure is easy to point.
the pump noise is exactly the same as the auto noise. If you want to play the empty gun give away your position and hope it scares them game, leave the auto empty, bolt open, and tap the feed ramp to shuck on in with a standard empty pump sound. Why you would do that for either type of gun (have it unloaded) is beyond my ability to comprehend, but the type of gun is unimportant.
I put a shoulder stock with a pistol grip on my Maverick 88 12-gauge and threw a cheap heat spreader on it (for the ghost ring sights) and I couldn't ask for more out of it. The stock I have (ATS I think?) has a rubber recoil pad and with the short home defense rounds I bought, the recoil is VERY manageable. Even my wife shoots it comfortably, and she's a recoil crybaby.

A good friend had (it was stolen) the same Maverick in 20-gauge and I really liked it but can never find one at a decent price.

I paid less than $200 for my Maverick new at Academy and about $40 for the stock and ghost ring sights at the Bill Goodman show.
  • Like 1
For a "house gun" the best deal I found was a 20" Mossberg 500 8rd Bead sight.
I put a snap on Fiber Optic sight on it. Cheap and works great.

I like the additional capacity over the 18" models.
I got 12 gauge as it doesn't seem like to much power for me to control.

And NO to the "just point it in the general direction" theory.
At in-house ranges, there is very little spread going on.
You have to aim.

I wouldn't recommend Pistol grips either.
You don't need a rifled slug barrel or Rifle sights either (for a house gun).

I would have gone even cheaper out and got a Maverick, but I couldn't find the 8rd 20" in stock at the time.
My home defense shotgun is the H&R Pardner Pump Protector 12 gauge. It's a clone of the 870 and yes, it's made in China. That's its ONLY downfall, and not a big deal to me.

It's strong, heavy, ugly, and built like a tank - everything a basic home defense shotgun should be. Dual slide rails, cheaper than an 870, and gets rave reviews online (check youtube).

Most 870 mods will fit the Pardner Protector as well. Edited by knox
I own a number of pump action shotguns, my favorite however is my Mossberg 590A1 chambered in 12g, it features a 20" barrel, speed feed stock, ghost ring sights, loaded with 9 (+4) Federal LE 00 buckshot it is my go to SHTF long gun.

I also own a couple of Mossberg 500's in both 12 & 20 gauges, the 20g are nice for smaller framed folks since the recoil isn't as punishing, the energy delivered to the target is of course less than the 12g versions but 20g 00 buck is still more than enough to remove any/all uninvited guests from your home if need be.

I also own & have owned Remington 870's in both the Wingmaster & Express variants, which are definately decent choices for hunting &/or HD but there are many reasons why I like Mossberg shotguns over Remington.

First and foremost is Mossberg's loading gate design, the always up gate on Mossbergs allows for quicker/easier reloading with absolutely zero thumb pinch potential, which is very important IMHO if reloading "under duress".

Next would be the Mossbergs dual extractors vs Remingtons single, generally this isn't an issue until the shotguns get hot &/or dirty, but I have been forced to stick a cleaning rod down a barrel & hammer out stuck shell hulls out of my Remingtons, that has never happened in any of my Mossbergs, a hard yank always clears the stuck hull, while the single extractor on the Remingtons will sometimes rip the rim of the brass, thus requiring the use of a rod to clear.

Third would be the location of the safety, since I favor standerd stocked shotguns the tang mounted safety on the Mossbergs is quicker and easier to manipulate, no need to break grip to engage or disingage.

Fourth would be the location of the slide release, again it is quicker and easier to engage on Mossbergs without breaking grip.

Anyway I wouldn't feel undergunned with my 870 in an emergency type situation or anything, I would just prefer to have a Mossberg in my hands.

As far as Winchester 1200/1300, I too have had one "come apart" so to speak on me, the welds on the action bars broke! This was years ago but the shotgun was only a couple of months old, I haven't touched one since.

Sorry but I don't have enough first hand experience with Maverick 88 or Charles Daley or H&R Pardner to comment on those.

• Like 1
[quote name='Viracnis' timestamp='1352406736' post='841981']
I put a shoulder stock with a pistol grip on my Maverick 88 12-gauge and threw a cheap heat spreader on it (for the ghost ring sights) and I couldn't ask for more out of it. The stock I have (ATS I think?) has a rubber recoil pad and with the short home defense rounds I bought, the recoil is VERY manageable. Even my wife shoots it comfortably, and she's a recoil crybaby.

A good friend had (it was stolen) the same Maverick in 20-gauge and I really liked it but can never find one at a decent price.

I paid less than $200 for my Maverick new at Academy and about $40 for the stock and ghost ring sights at the Bill Goodman show.
[/quote]

I also got a Mossberg Maverick 88 from Academy - 12 gage 18.5" barrel 5 round magazine tube. I paid just over $200 out the door including tax and background check. I have shot both bird and buck shot and it works great. For basic home defense, I can't imagine you could get a better bargain. I have owned a 500 Persuader and it is probably a little nicer...and would really like a 590 A1, but for now the 88 does just fine. I am planning to put a flashlight on it. I tried a pistol grip and found out that I can't hit anything. Nothing. I'm serious...I would never use a pistol grip (only) on a shotgun unless you're willing to practice a LOT in order to get the hang of shooting it. For an occasional shooter like me, it just doesn't make sense using a pistol grip with a shot gun. I have no experience with 870's, but I know they have a good reputation. Best wishes, B
@RichardR - Thanks for the detailed information. That really helps. I have seen the Mossbergs @ Mavericks on the trading boards and am really considering them.

@ everyone - Will these guns do a good job at shooting clays? Just curious. If anyone feels that they are not, that's fine, I would like to know why or why not if possible. Again, thanks for all the help.
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1352561190' post='843068']
@ everyone - Will these guns do a good job at shooting clays? Just curious. If anyone feels that they are not, that's fine, I would like to know why or why not if possible. Again, thanks for all the help.
[/quote]
“Good job” is a relative term. An 18” barrel will not be able to compete with the much longer barrels. If you shoot clays at a range, check to see if they have a minimum barrel length requirement.
[quote name='RED333' timestamp='1352567243' post='843119']I still say the Saiga 12, I do have 2 REM 870s, 2 WIN 1200, and 1 MOSSY 500.
None of them will out shoot my Saiga 12.
The Saiga is my Best and the one I go to!!![/quote]

I got the impression he was looking for an economical shotty. In that case there are plenty of great 12 and 20 GA shotguns out there for around $200. Don't know what Saigas are going for now, but I know they aren't too cheap.
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352569815' post='843150']
I got the impression he was looking for an economical shotty. In that case there are plenty of great 12 and 20 GA shotguns out there for around $200. Don't know what Saigas are going for now, but I know they aren't too cheap.
[/quote]

Wally is selling Stevens on Black Friday for $169, at least here in Knoxville, dunno how it compares with Pardner or Maverick:

[img]http://akimages.shoplocal.com/dyn_li/450.0.88.0/Retailers/walmart/121123_Stevens_Model_320.JPG[/img]
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352572051' post='843177']

Wally is selling Stevens on Black Friday for $169, at least here in Knoxville, dunno how it compares with Pardner or Maverick:

[img]http://akimages.shoplocal.com/dyn_li/450.0.88.0/Retailers/walmart/121123_Stevens_Model_320.JPG[/img][/quote]

I bet it goes bang and throws projectiles as straight as a smooth bore firearm can. What a deal. If my son were old enough I'd buy that up for him.
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352569815' post='843150']
[/quote]
There is one for sale here, 650, not a bad price.
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1352561190' post='843068']
@RichardR - Thanks for the detailed information. That really helps. I have seen the Mossbergs @ Mavericks on the trading boards and am really considering them.

[/quote]

You'll want a 24" for skeet & a 28" barrel for trap shooting, at least those are the barrel lengths I prefer to use.

There are plenty of aftermarket barrels for both the Mossberg & Remingtons lines and they are fairly cheap, super easy to swap so you can have say a Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel on it for HD, swap a 24" on it for shooting skeet, squirrels or rabbits, swap a rifled slug barrel on it for deer season, then. 28" for trap or turkey or ducks or geese, etc.

Shotguns are extremely versitile in that regard.

[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1352636958' post='843649']
I did not realize you could swap the barrels on the lower end guns like these. I guess I figured that was only on higher end specialty guns. Now I am really interested in one. :)
[/quote]
Takes less than a minute.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4zEJWHpJU[/media]

• Like 1

[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352575904' post='843225']
I bet it goes bang and throws projectiles as straight as a smooth bore firearm can. What a deal. If my son were old enough I'd buy that up for him.
[/quote]

Buy it now and give it to him later. Not like it will be cheaper down the road. :)

[quote name='Makiaveli' timestamp='1352645479' post='843705']

Buy it now and give it to him later. Not like it will be cheaper down the road. :)[/quote]

Oh that's what I want to do. I'm just wondering how I can do it without getting "the look" from my wife as she trumps my logic with the statement "you bought a shotgun for a 3 year old."

I went with Remington 870 18 inch barrel over the Mossberg mainly for the safety placement. It is more natural to me to have the safety near the trigger instead of up top where I expect a hammer to be.

However with either choice if you practice with the one of your choice to make sure the safety placement is not an issue, both are fine choices.

[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1352636958' post='843649']
I did not realize you could swap the barrels on the lower end guns like these. I guess I figured that was only on higher end specialty guns. Now I am really interested in one. :)
[/quote]

Research this A LOT BEFORE PURCHASING!

Some Mossbergs interchange with some parts.
Certain barrel lengths are incompatible due to the Feed tube length, how the barells are mountedetc...
Some Forends are mounted differently than others and require exa parts than can be hard to locate.

Guess how I found out :)