Suggestions on home defense shotguns

I am looking for suggestions on home defense shotguns. I am wondering what is out there and what the options and costs are. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I don't want to buy the equivalent of a baseball bat either. Thanks for the help.
Basic Mossberg 500s are dirt cheap, considering. New, $250ish. That's for a moderate barrel, wood stock. A home-defense setup, I imagine, would be, if anything, a little less - shorter barrel, plastic stock. Seeing as how the United States Army and police agencies all over use the 500, you really can't go wrong. I would agree with Chucktshoes, 20 gauge is as good as 12. More manageable if need be, and certainly within the ranges encountered in home defense, there's no difference in lethality. It'd be like asking whether .44 Magnum or .500 S&W is better lethality-wise at 10 yards, really... ahaha...
  • Like 1
I went with a Mossberg 500 with a Tri-rail... that way I can have my flashlight mounted on the fore-end... I believe the model is 50575. [url="http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-special-purpose-tactical-tri-rail/50575"]http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-special-purpose-tactical-tri-rail/50575[/url]
After holding both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 side by side, the 870 just felt like the tolerances weren't as good and it felt cheaper built, it also rattled, and I figured something shooting a 12 gauge round shouldn't rattle like that. I'm very pleased with my purchase, and it's also a fun gun to shoot pumpkins and watermelons with when you have the urge of destruction! You can run anything from birdshot to 3" magnum rifled slugs thru it and it holds up to 8 shots (of 2 3/4" shells) In my opinion, it really is hard to beat.
Cosmetics aside, I think any shotgun with 3+ more shots will do. I personally believe the best home defense is a shotgun. I believe if you have your adrenaline pumping, holding a pistol accurately will be a challenge, whereas a shotgun just point in the general direction, and no accuracy is required. Assuming the action (pump/auto) is life dependent reliable.
Take $200 and find a used 500 or 870. Honest preference is where you like the safety selector. There is really nothing more to it than that really. You can spend more or get a little more sophisticated with more money, but these will fit the bill nicely.

[quote name='Runco' timestamp='1352346069' post='841619']a shotgun just point in the general direction, and no accuracy is required.[/quote]

Ummm...No
  • Like 3
[quote name='I_Like_Pie' timestamp='1352347827' post='841640']
Take $200 and find a used 500 or 870. Honest preference is where you like the safety selector. There is really nothing more to it than that really. You can spend more or get a little more sophisticated with more money, but these will fit the bill nicely.

Ummm...No
[/quote]
Ummm...why no
I'm thinking Runco is meaning that shot placement with a load of buckshot or even slug is less important than with a single hand gun round. That is of course without saying that you still must hit your target.

I don't think many here buy into the whole point in the general direction and take out anything in a four foot spread mentality.

Of course it's a moot point as OP is talking about a pump gun and everyone knows the very sound of a shell getting loaded into a pump action will scare the pants off even the stupidest hardened criminal and have them running for the hills.(the criminal, not the pants.) <yes sarcasm> Edited by TrickyNicky
Winchester 120/1200 model 20g shotguns are by far better than Mossbergs and 870's. They are difficult to fix up for the lack of parts but the rotating bolt design is VERY fast.

I'd stick with a 20g no matter what. 12g just doesn't give you any added effect in trade for the punishment to your eyes, ears and shoulder. At least not at self defense ranges.
I've had both Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870 you can't go wrong with either. I carry my own 870 daily in my patrol unit so I'm really used to it. But I would trust either in protecting my family for home defense. Just gotta take care of them and they will last forever. Edited by Pain103
This will end the way all HD shotgun thread end…. Remington 870. They are cheap and they are proven performers.

There is no limit to options and costs. For a Home Defense shotgun I prefer the 870 with a 20” rifled slug barrel with adjustable rifle sights. I prefer the beauty of the rich looking walnut and the deep gloss blue of the WingMaster, but of course that’s about twice the price of an Express. Synthetic is out for me, but that’s your best bet for the lowest price.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1352348915' post='841654']
Winchester 120/1200 model 20g shotguns are by far better than Mossbergs and 870's. They are difficult to fix up for the lack of parts but the rotating bolt design is VERY fast.

I'd stick with a 20g no matter what. 12g just doesn't give you any added effect in trade for the punishment to your eyes, ears and shoulder. At least not at self defense ranges.
[/quote] Winchesters better than Mossberg or Remington ? The only guns I ever had to fall apart were Winchesters.
Like someone above mentioned, if you're looking to save money, buy used. I used to think Mossbergs were the best choice because of their price, but it seems 870's are far down in price from the last time I was shotgun shopping. I have a Remington and a Mossberg. They both work fine. Pretty hard to screw them up.
[quote name='gl19gobang' timestamp='1352380125' post='841716']
Winchesters better than Mossberg or Remington ? The only guns I ever had to fall apart were Winchesters.
[/quote]

I don't discredit you but I find that extremely hard to believe. I have a Ranger 120 I've had since I was 11. It was used when I got it and 24 years later you couldn't haul all the shells run through that poor thing in the bed of a pick up truck. I've only had on issue and that was a spring at the base of the bolt guide. I had a 1300 12g before I messed up my shoulder. I pounded that thing good too. They begged for more.

Either way, the action of the Winchester is much smoother and with practice is a good bit faster than a solid faced bolt, pump.
Mossberg 590 A1 starts out a little rough, but after a little break in its nice and smooth.

There have been some finish issues on the 870 Express tacticals. But you can't beat a 870 Wingmaster.

One of the best value priced shottys is the Maverick by Mossberg. It aint pretty and the stock set is cheap plastic but prices are good.

Benelli Nova makes a nice hd shotty too, but the one I had was so light it kicked like a mule. Had a plastic receiver and could chamber up to 3.5" shells.
Never had the guts to run 3.5's through it. But 3" shells would put a dent in your shoulder...
I will be the odd man out and say get an auto. Mine is a rem 1100 that was used at $250. There are a *few* folks that can do it, same as there are a *few* folks that can make a revolver sound like an auto when they shoot, but the average person cannot jockey a pump as fast as an auto -- I have seen it time and time again at 3 gun, the pumps come in below the autos nearly every time. A few bucks for a mag tube and you can empty 11 rounds of short 12 ga in a few seconds. Another few bucks for the easy loader modification and its done, an excellent platform. If cramped for space, mine would be little big as it is full sized, but that is easy to fix.