Suggestions on home defense shotguns

[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1352636958' post='843649']
I did not realize you could swap the barrels on the lower end guns like these. I guess I figured that was only on higher end specialty guns. Now I am really interested in one. :)
[/quote]

Yup, you can even buy a blackpowder barrel for Mossberg 500's and use it during muzzle loading season too.

[quote name='EastHipster' timestamp='1352650940' post='843756']
Research this A LOT BEFORE PURCHASING!

Some Mossbergs interchange with some parts.
Certain barrel lengths are incompatible due to the Feed tube length, how the barells are mountedetc...
Some Forends are mounted differently than others and require exa parts than can be hard to locate.

Guess how I found out :)
[/quote]

One big diff is that as I understand it, Remington 870 barrels will not fit on Pardner, but Mossberg 500 barrels will fit on Maverick.

And I'm not sure you can buy separate barrels for the Pardner?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352645662' post='843707']
Oh that's what I want to do. I'm just wondering how I can do it without getting "the look" from my wife as she trumps my logic with the statement "you bought a shotgun for a 3 year old."
[/quote]

Well point out that in X years, the gun will cost probably twice as much. Assuming you will be able to buy one then....
any shotgun will do as long as YOU will do. If it is going to sit most of the time, save your money and get something inexpensive; you're not going to shoot it enough to tear it up. If you have a suitable shotgun you hunt with, let it do double duty as a HD gun. If you have money to burn....then the sky is the limit. There are a lot of good guns, most have been mentioned, just look around for what fits your budget and taste.
  • Like 1
Guest Cogent Design
I have a mossberg 500 in the home defense role. If I could do it again, I would go with the 590. It has a longer magazine tube. The 500 is fine, just preference really.

The ergonomics between the 500 and the 870 are a little different. The slide release on the 870 is awkward to me, so I went with the 500. Either way, my 500 was $300 from gunbroker with a shorter barrel, side saddle, pistol grip, and adjustable stock. Look for deals.
[quote name='Admiral Jedi' timestamp='1352766080' post='844544']I have a mossberg 500 in the home defense role. If I could do it again, I would go with the 590. It has a longer magazine tube. The 500 is fine, just preference really.

The ergonomics between the 500 and the 870 are a little different. The slide release on the 870 is awkward to me, so I went with the 500. Either way, my 500 was $300 from gunbroker with a shorter barrel, side saddle, pistol grip, and adjustable stock. Look for deals.[/quote]

The mag tube on my 500 is just as long as a 590 and about $200 cheaper.
Guest Drewsett
I bought a Maverick 88 from Academy as well and it was perfect in a home defense role for around 200 $ OTD. I eventually got a used Mossberg 500 for 175 $ FTF at a gun show, loved that the action was slicker and preferred the wood furniture. I liked and trusted the 88 enough to gift it to my father when he revealed he had no gun at home (he lives in Memphis!).

You can't go wrong with either gun at those prices.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

[b]I think Ruger LCP 380 ACP is the best [url="https://www.gunnation.com/offer/details/Ruger_LCP_380_ACP_NEW-258"]gun[/url] for home defense. [/b][b] [/b] Edited by Amy999
i recently was on the same hunt as the OP and ended up narrowing it down to either the IAC Hawk 982 or the Maverick 88, 870 clone vs 500 clone ..... i was leaning toward the Hawk just because i preferred the peep style sights over the standard bead .. but i ended up getting a really nice 18.5" Maverick 88 in trade here on TGO that had fiberoptic rifle style (buckhorn) sights already installed... and i must say the fit and finish are SURPRISINGLY good for a $200 shotgun with a very crisp action with no slop or rattle to it and, from everything i can find they are just as reliable (ultimately so) as the 500 series ... i would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a GOOD shotgun that wont break your wallet , also almost everything from the 500 including barrels will fit on the Maverick 88, and i know it isnt a 500 only a clone but at least it's a clone made BY mossberg so maybe this still applies

from Wikipedia:

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements[/size][/font][/color]
[quote name='Amy999' timestamp='1353392827' post='848661']
[b]I think Ruger LCP 380 ACP is the best [url="https://www.gunnation.com/offer/details/Ruger_LCP_380_ACP_NEW-258"]gun[/url] for home defense. [/b][b] [/b]
[/quote]

The jaded internet guy in me says epic troll. The gun guy in me worries that you may actually believe this. A weak caliber, low round count, long and difficult to use trigger, difficult to aim pocket pistol vs every other gun ever made and it came out as "best"?! Do you have any reasons for that bold statement? I mean even with the shotgun theme.... the trigger is longer and heavier than my shotgun, the lcp holds less rounds, its harder to aim, and its momentum is a tiny fraction of a shotgun slug.

The governor looks good but it is a little expensive for my taste. I bet that would be fun to shoot though.

I am leaning toward a 20 ga for the ease of use for my wife. She grew up with a shotgun in the house as her home defense weapon and would like another. Plus I think it would be the way to go for me also, I could use it on the raccoons on my back porch :)

Guest ninesecond95
A shotgun will probalby" instinct point" better than a pistol but dont expect spread of shot to make up for poor marksmanship.
Shooting across a bedroom will not allow the pattern to open up much. However there is a LOT to be said for the CLACK-CLACK of chambering a round.