10/22 what's the fuss about

kellyII

I keep seeing all kinda of want adds an post about 10/22's.. Just wanted to know what all the fuss is about. What are all the mods one can do that wos drive a man wild. I have a nice stainless ruger 10/22 walnut stock that u would love to trick out, but am lacking in the current mods. Please
Advise an old folk who's behind the
Curve!!!!!
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different strokes for different folks man. Why do people put lifts and mud tires on trucks to cruise the boulevard, or replace formica countertops for granite? It's all about what you like.

My 10/22 is not tricked out either, but I have done some trigger work and such.
I'm envious to some of the 10/22s I've seen on here. We've got some very imaginative and skilled guys in here building some sweet rifles.

Having said that mine is mostly stock, I wanted a bull barrel target model but for the price of a 10/22 barrel I got a Rem 597 instead that pretty much scratched the itch.
[quote name='kellyII' timestamp='1354156372' post='852217']
I keep seeing all kinda of want adds an post about 10/22's.. Just wanted to know what all the fuss is about. What are all the mods one can do that wos drive a man wild. I have a nice stainless ruger 10/22 walnut stock that u would love to trick out, but am lacking in the current mods. Please
Curve!!!!!
[/quote]

Stainless in walnut stock? Is it a deluxe sporter or one of the Walmart exclusives (21" barrel, roll-marked rifle)?

Because if it is one of the Walmart exclusives I wouldn't recommend changing anything out on those, they are great out of the box shooters & are worth a bit of a premium if left unmolested.
there are several branches for modding a 10-22. Tacticool mods are popular, to make an AR like toy that shoots cheap ammo. Its generally more expensive than a .22 lr mod for the AR and generally more expensive than buying an AR 22, so I don't get it, but people like to play. There is a target/accuracy branch with bull barrels and sweet trigger jobs and so on. There is sort of a survival branch, generally built of the take-down model -- bug out rifle concepts. And then there are the random mods just to do it.... alternative stocks or paint jobs just for the heck of it. Dunno what you would call my wife's but hers is a super light weight accuracy build -- I have heavier pistols.
10/22's and AR's are like barbie dolls for men. You can dress them up anyway you like...
It seems like Ruger has produced hundreds of variations over the years, coupled with all the aftermarket goodies. No two are ever alike.

Decent accuracy out of the box and good reliability makes for a good fun toy to mess with.
Best reason to have the 10/22 is the zombie rodent wars.

the next best thing about 10/22 for the hobbiest is to be able to try out different barrels without having to hire a gunsmith. Not only can you choose length, profile, twist rate, and chamber size but you can do it by simply removing and replacing two bolts that hold the barrel to the reciever. Head spacing issue can be addressed by having the bolts squared and shaved a bit and shims can be added to the barrel shank. Just stock they are reliably minute of gopher head all day with nearly any known .22 ammo and little cleaning.

10/22 came out in '64 and has sold somewhere just south of 6 million last I have read.

10/22 reminds me of the AK 47 and Glock. Simple, easy for owner to mess with. Throw a 1911 and AR in the mix and those 5 guns, plus a Ruger MK series .22 pistol will likely be the best guns to survive the impending zombie wars with. OK, OK, throw a Remington 700 in 30.06 and call it a day. Jeez, add a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

So: Zombie practical arsenal:

1) Ruger 10/22
2) Ruger MK series .22LR pistol
3) AK 47
4) AR 15
5) 12 gauge pump
6) 1911 .45
7) Glock 9mm
8) Remington 700 30.06 Edited by graycrait
[quote name='graycrait' timestamp='1354324013' post='853167']

So: Zombie practical arsenal:

1) Ruger 10/22
2) Ruger MK series .22LR pistol
3) AK 47
4) AR 15
5) 12 gauge pump
6) 1911 .45
7) Glock 9mm
8) Remington 700 30.06[/quote]

Can I substitute my sks for ak, and 20 gauge 870 for a 12 and still survive?

I have a 10/22 target tactical on order and I am anxious for it to come in!

[quote name='graycrait' timestamp='1354336514' post='853260']MY yes, SKS for AK any day, I've only had 3 SKS's and they all worked no matter how I tried to Bubba them up. My last 20 gauge pump is with a local LEO as the house gun as we speak.[/quote]
My 20 is playing house duty at a friends as well.
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='kellyII' timestamp='1354156372' post='852217']
Curve!!!!!
[/quote]

Check out the volquartsen website. How about a 10/22 .22LR that can outshoot Olympic Guns for 1/7th the price.