Do you allow your kids to arm themselves when home alone?

Links2k

I have a few M&P 15-22 rifles that my kids shoot really well. I've been planning to allow them access to the rifles for home defense when they are alone. I figure a couple of rug rats shooting 25 rounds each of CCI AR Tactical at a burglar will do the trick.

Currently they only have access to Kimber pepper blasters and an EE plan when their mom and I are away.

What do you think?
  • Like 1
Depends on the child.  Some are more responsible than others.

They've had training at Range USA, been around guns their entire lives and beg to shoot on a regular basis. The girl loves rifles and the boy has a thing for 1911s.

They are 17yo twins.
  • Like 1

kids can be left home alone,  I was,  while I did stupid stuff we never actually set the house on fire or killed anyone.

I dunno about unfettered access to firearms for minors.  It opens a a pandora's box of problems potentially.

I absolutely trust my oldest grandson around firearms, but he is still a kid (10) and acts like a kid.   I know he will not touch my handgun because he knows it is loaded.  I do not trust him to make mature decisions if someone is trying to enter the house.

No, I am not leaving loaded guns around for kids.

There was an incident where a twelve year old girl had to use a .22 rifle(all she had) to defend herself while on the

phone to 911, scared and didn't want to, but she did what she had to do, ultimately. I don't remember any more of

the details and wish I had a link to the story, but I think it even found its way on here.

Most kids raised around firearms reach a level of maturity a little quicker than others, I think, and it is really going to

depend on the kid and how you raised him or her. My kids were taught at an early age about weapons and how to

handle them properly. They were trusted in my house. I'd like to think I did a good job. They're grown up, now.

every child is different and times are different.

When my dad was 8 he had his own .22 that he carried everyplace.

When I was 6 dad started letting me shoot under his supervision and by the time I was 10 and after I took the TN hunter safety course he started letting me keep a .22 and .410 in my bed room. (only shooting with him)
By the time I was 12 .410 upgraded to 20ga and I had ammo for .22 and 20ga in my bedroom and I was allowed to go shoot outback anytime on my own as long as they where home and I let them know first.

So depends on age, where you live, how the kids act with firearms. I cannot answer that for you. First make sure they have full respect for it.

Also make sure they know the proper way to clear a weapon. Far to often we hear, I didn't know it was loaded. Someone things they cleared it by racking the bolt before removing the mag or some other issue.
As has been stated, it depends on the maturity level of the kids.

For example, I was a really boring kid who was mature for my age. My Dad had me shooting (with him holding the gun) when I was 2. I don't remember the exact time frame, but by the time I was 12 at the oldest, I would wander the farm with a rifle or shotgun.

By the time I was 17, I was armed almost all the time. Not while sitting in class, but I most likely had one in my car. No, it wasn't legal, even back then. But it wasn't as big a deal as it would be now.

My point is that a 17 year old can legally join the military. So if they are mature enough*, I'd make sure that they have quick access to a defensive firearm when they are home alone.

*How do you know if they are mature enough? Ask an objective, and honest, friend if they think your kids are mature. I have friends who think their kids are just great and mature enough to handle a gun. I have observed evidence to the contrary. So sometimes parents can be biased (obviously).
I think I started staying at home at about the age of 10 or so. I had access to a Remington 1100 that was my grandfather's dove hunting gun back in the 80's. I didn't shoot it a whole lot but my father had built me a gun rack for my BB gun and fishing rods, well one day after doing a lil' shooting with my dad I put the shotgun in my room on my rack instead of the gun cabinet in the living room. I made sure my dad saw me do it. We kinda had an unspoken agreement that it was ok for me to keep it in my room because he trusted my good judgement. So if anything were to happen, I had access to it a a few boxes of bird shot lol.
  • Like 1

No.

Mine are 11 and 14. The 14 year old is a better shot than many adults I know and it very conscientous about saftey (muzzle, chambered, trigger finger etc).

That being said, he's still a kid and the safe is locked. He knows what to do if put in that situation.

• Like 1