Buy a GM???

Every manufacturer is working with China. They have one of the fastest growing economies in the world. They like BIG american cars. Ford, Chevy and Dodge are all doing it.

Possibly but Ford is the only one that did not use your tax money to stay afloat
[quote name='willis68' timestamp='1356576107' post='869421']Every manufacturer is working with China. They have one of the fastest growing economies in the world. They like BIG american cars. Ford, Chevy and Dodge are all doing it. Possibly but Ford is the only one that did not use your tax money to stay afloat[/quote] Bullshit they didn't, they still owe the govt billions. http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/08/29/automakers-report-card-who-still-owes-taxpayers-money-the-answer-might-surprise-you/ Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

If they weren't doing big business in China (which inherently means working with and paying kickbacks to the Communist party) they'd be stupid. China is building roads like crazy and the market demand for personal automobiles is incredible. All of the US (and some of the foreign-based) automakers have been somehow partially funded by our gov't. If not directly with bailouts then with grants and loans for improving fuel efficiency, battery technology, hybrids, safety, etc. It's important to know that certain brands are being burned into the Chinese collective psyche and it's critical that our companies get in there fast and establish themselves. Audi = government officials while VW = quality and Buick =luxury. BMW is apparently known to be driven by stuck up elitist, so that's one thing we have in common with China. :)

A wealthy woman ran over a peasant woman for scratching her BMW and did no time for the crime. It doesn't seem to have hurt BMW sales though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/apr/08/china.jonathanwatts

See more stereotypes here:

http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=314%20=13%20=86

Bullshit they didn't, they still owe the govt billions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/08/29/automakers-report-card-who-still-owes-taxpayers-money-the-answer-might-surprise-you/

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
The money given to Ford was NOT part of the bailout. Obama forced new fuel-efficiency regulations on auto manufacturers, and because the demand is not there for such vehicles, Ford was left with little choice but to take the money.

If the demand for such vehicles would turn a profit, I'm sure Ford would have gladly invested its own money in such a venture. With Obama unjustifiably pushing Green Energy policies, most companies either take the money or go out of business.

And the money Ford was forced to take was a drop in the bucket when compared to the BAILOUT given to GM and Chrysler. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1
Well Hell! I didn't know I was a stuck up
elitist. I like both my BMW's. Have a few
Fords, though. Does that balance it out?
:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me start off by saying I own a Ford truck, and have for the past 10 years. Best vehicle I have ever owned! My next truck will likely be a Ford. Now with that said, I work in the automotive manufacturing industry. The last 20 years for a company with ~25% Toyota ownership. So I am not your average bear when it comes to the automotive industry.

Toyota and Honda vehicles that are assembled in the U.S. have significantly more U.S. made content than any traditional Detroit 3 automobile including trucks. My current Ford truck when purchased new was assembled in Louisville, KY, but the sticker showed ~40% content being foreign parts. That was in 2002, I assume its significantly much greater today, likely more like 60%. The Toyota, Honda and Nissans are trying to localize as much as possible to the local markets, it just makes better business sense in the long run. The GM, Chrysler and yes even Ford are outsourcing as much as possible, to lower purchased content in order to off-set high assembly labor, high benefit costs, and yes some profit. It is true, all OEMs want to crack the China market. The Detroit 3 have a better shot than the Japanese, because there are still some serious deep resentment of what the Japanese did to China in WWII.

BTW Prius has been made for the China market in China since around 2005. Toyota wants to build cars/trucks in the market it sells in. One more BTW, Ford sold I think Land Rover or something like that about 6 months before the economy tanked in 2008, and was flushed with cash. Otherwise, if they had not had this false sense of securty of cash, they would have burn through it, they too would have drunk the tax payer Kool-Aid. They had been losing more cash long before GM went under, they had no choice but to chop some of its body parts (no pun intended) to stay afloat, they just got lucky by doing so about 6 months before the collapse. If you recall they did go to Washington in round 1 of the bailout request, but refrained in round 2. Remember round 1, all went by private Lear Jet, but round 2 they took a taxi or drove. Remember the PR? Just my 2 cents.

I didn't know that about the Prius. I was joking. :D Ford sold a couple car companies, but still had to borrow a lot of

money from the private banking market, not as part of the auto bailout, from what I remember.

GM, on the other hand, was the largest recipient of taxpayer money, right ahead of the UAW, who has ownership

in GM because of the government. They should have been allowed to go through the bankruptcy court. We wouldn't

have been arguing over Twinkies, otherwise. You and I, the taxpayer funded the UAW's pensions. I feel so warm

and fuzzy over that. Don't you?

Edited by 6.8 AR

I am right winger, maybe far right, but when this was annoucned in 2009 about the bailout, I was not that sore.  Now at the time I understood the bailout was a loan, so it softened my view.  Now I understand that GM and Chrysler may never fully pay it back.  It burns me somewhat.  I am from the camp that I would have preferred for GM and Chrysler to have filed chapter 13 on their own, and restructured without the taxpayer money.  However, looking back that was a very slick move by the newly elected president and team, knowing that GM & Chrysler was flushed with likely democrate voters and its union was rewarded.  It burns me, but I have deeper concerns about our government than this, and as a individual, I can do nothing.  Just my single vote, and that didn't work last month. 

I also drive a Ford, and this one will probably be my last. Seems Ford can't make paint that will stick to a  roof or hood. I've been a big Ford fan my entire adult life, However, I'm tired of driving around in a vehicle (that I have taken great care of) that's a big rust bucket. I can't wash the roof or hood because the paint just blows off.

Ford also bought and sold Volvo. Paid around 6 and sold it for under 2 bil. They raped the company for their R&D work while holding back advertising funds. I understand why people are upset with GM but I don't understand putting Ford on a pedistal. And very seldom does anyone say a word about Dodge. Chrysler has been bailed out twice I believe, correct? If there is a Dodge in my driveway...I have company! 

http://www.creators.com/conservative/david-harsanyi/the-auto-bailout-failure-is-now-complete.html

Well, now that the election is over and the Treasury Department is freed of political considerations, it plans to sell its 500 million sharesicon1.png of stock over the next 12 to 15 months and ease its way out of the company. GM will buy around 200 million shares at $27.50 per share by the end of the year. GM's buy brings taxpayers back to around $5.5 billion of the $27 billion the company still owes. The special inspector general for TARP estimated in October that the Treasury would need to sell the remaining 500 million shares at $53.98 per share just to break even on its investment.

Everything the Gov. gets involved in turns to siht  :poop: . We know that by now. Another reason why tax increases are always bad for us.

I never had much luck with GM cars and trucks and will never buy one again after this. I like Fords better and Dodge's but now they're off my list.

My 97 Ranger has been a great truck and if you're worried about fading paint, just buy a white truck, mine still looks new.  :)

Ford avoided the bailouts by lots of dumb luck. they restructured their long term debt just before the credit markets dried up. Having more favorable labor relations than GM helped, but had their debt restructuring been delayed it would have been much more expensive and possibly resulted in needing bailout money.

The BMW jab was just a joke, but I think you BMW drivers knew that ;) Edited by monkeylizard

The government did force Japanese automakers to build plants in the US back in the 70s.  The US Big 3 accused the Japanese of selling their cars cheaper in the US than Japan.

I can't forgive any US company selling off their subsidiaries to a communist country.  China owns much of our debt, and it looks as if our corporations are happy to give them ownership of our businesses too.

The government did force Japanese automakers to build plants in the US back in the 70s.  The US Big 3 accused the Japanese of selling their cars cheaper in the US than Japan.

I can't forgive any US company selling off their subsidiaries to a communist country.  China owns much of our debt, and it looks as if our corporations are happy to give them ownership of our businesses too.

I do not understand "The government did force comment", Honda built its first manufacturing plant in the U.S. in 1982 in Marysville, OH, as a business decision, not forced by anyone, and Toyota built its first plant in the U.S. in and around 1986 or 1987 in Georgetown, KY, again not forced by anyone.  The second comment, though I truly understand your sediment, but what is the difference of GM selling out to China, and a U.S. consumer selling out to buy product from China.   

• Like 1

" what is the difference of GM selling out to China, and a U.S. consumer selling out to buy product from China."

Well said Runco!  So all you haters keep shopping @ Walmart and feel good about supporting China

I do not understand "The government did force comment", Honda built its first manufacturing plant in the U.S. in 1982 in Marysville, OH, as a business decision, not forced by anyone, and Toyota built its first plant in the U.S. in and around 1986 or 1987 in Georgetown, KY, again not forced by anyone.  The second comment, though I truly understand your sediment, but what is the difference of GM selling out to China, and a U.S. consumer selling out to buy product from China.