"Come And Take Them" Day

I don't do Twitter or Facebook, but I've seen what happens when the word goes around to meet for a flash mob someplace.  Why don't gun owners pick a certain day and time when everyone in America with a rifle, shotgun or handgun meets in their own town square for a display of weaponry. Big city carriers could show up at city hall. Have the local news cover the event with pictures of everyone standing at port arms with a big sign which says, "Come And Take Them." The lib politicians and national media would have a brown-out in their shorts!  :dropjaw: :eek: :panic: :stare: 

Your average John Q Public-Sheep would also have a brown-out as you put it.  I think things like this would just make us look worse, and as pointed out in another thread how long before the ranks of the armed were joined by someone from the left who decided to actually fire a weapon.  That would be the worst thing that could happen to us right now, imo.

• Like 2

Not for nuthin', but the John Q. Sheeple crowd will hide under their beds when Obamacare or another assault on our freedoms comes out of D.C.  They aren't the ones we're trying to impress.  The gun grabbers are now strutting their stuff and practically daring anybody to oppose what they want to do.  Write all the letters and emails to Congress you want until you're hand withers and falls off.  We've done that for the last four years and what did it get us?    So what if somebody does fire a weapon?  They're going to do that anyway at the next mall or school shooting.  At least someone will be close by to take them out.  I mean, what are we doing here?  Obama says he want to "fundamentally change" the concept of gun ownership in America.  The president is not given kingly powers by the Constitution.  The founding fathers came up with the idea of the 2A for just this purpose.  If we're too antsy about what somebody will do if we stand up and be counted, there's nothing to stop them from what they want to do.

There are other ways of standing up and being counted that armed marches and demonstrations in the streets.  I throw my backing in with the NRA.  They are not perfect, but they are the only ones, imo, that have the stroke to get anything done.

The NRA says armed guards and the POTUS responds.  He does not agree, but he responds.  They have the voice.  We should work to add ours to it.

• Like 3

I guess the Sons of Liberty we're wrong to throw the tea into Boston Harbor.   Those Texians should have abandoned the Alamo before Santa Ana got there.  While we're waiting for the NRA's marching orders, why don't we go out to Arlington National Cemetery and ask for a show of hands?

• Like 1

I have a relative buried at Arlington, so I did not really appreciate that, but you did not know that, so no harm.

The reason to stick to conventional political means is simple.  The conventional political battle is not over yet.  There is currently no EBR or normal capacity ban in effect and no guarantee that there will be in 2013 or 3013.

The political means are not yet exhausted.  Once they are the situation will be different, but for now there is no reason to sabotage this battle by starting another one.  This is only my opinion, so organize whatever you want, and march or stand wherever you want.

• Like 1

Since I certainly don't mean to defame or diminish the honor of those who rest at Arlington, my apologies to you.  My relatives are buried elsewhere but did their solemn duty as well.  I'm not calling for a Lexington-Concord showdown here, but I'm only saying what a lot of gun owners are thinking.  We have representatives in Washington that give us lip service and then flip service.  We have the most asinine discussions about debt ceilings, fiscal cliffs and economic strategies when we know not a blessed thing they decide will work.  You simply can't win against totalitarian statists by giving them a home field advantage.  I wonder how long we can talk until every man, woman and child in the country is begging for bread.  Those who want to rule, not govern, this country know that there's millions of gun owners out here.  I'm only saying we should give them the opportunity to see them on our terms, albeit peacefully.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
I guess the Sons of Liberty we're wrong to throw the tea into Boston Harbor.   Those Texians should have abandoned the Alamo before Santa Ana got there.  While we're waiting for the NRA's marching orders, why don't we go out to Arlington National Cemetery and ask for a show of hands?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." – Claire Wolfe, 101 Things to Do 'Til the Revolution (1996)

I would say that Claire was mostly right, but that it's almost too late to work within the system rather than absolutely too late.  The work will be harder now, for sure, but there's still a chance that things can be turned around.

• Like 2
I have a relative buried at Arlington, so I did not really appreciate that, but you did not know that, so no harm.

The reason to stick to conventional political means is simple.  The conventional political battle is not over yet.  There is currently no EBR or normal capacity ban in effect and no guarantee that there will be in 2013 or 3013.

The political means are not yet exhausted.  Once they are the situation will be different, but for now there is no reason to sabotage this battle by starting another one.  This is only my opinion, so organize whatever you want, and march or stand wherever you want.

This times about a million.

Doing a million man march with weapons would be a TRAP and it'd be about the dumbest thing you could do, and would fall right into the evil plans of The Obammunist and his minions. You'd be like deer spotlighted in a corn field or something. Someone else could draw an even better hunting picture, I'm sure.

Furthermore . . . there is a lot of political stuff that's gotta be done and on the face of it doesn't make sense. It's POLITICS. There's people out there that have been studying it their whole grown lives and as wicked and evil as they are, they are damned good at POLITICS. People that don't know the territory, and the players and the adversaries and the TRAPS can really damage their cause by doing stuff that doesn't SEEM stupid to them, but has them fall into a TRAP set by the other side.

It's kind of like when you buy a type of weapon that you've never used before and instead of reading the instruction manual to work the action or instead of getting trained by someone who knows how to work the action, you end up shooting yourself in the forehead and you're dead.

For State stuff, listen to what WorriedMan and others have to say, they've been around the block and know how to "work the action." They know the territory, they know the players, they know the adversaries, and they know where the TRAPS are.

The NRA isn't everyone's favorite Uncle because they have to do stuff in POLITICS that doesn't make sense to the folks that don't do it for a living. However, the NRA has a pretty good record in drawing the adversary into the POLITICAL field of fire.

I'm mixing my metaphors up a little bit, but I'm thinking you can see where I'm coming from. I too want to do something, but it's gotta be smart politics, not dumb politics.

Again, Obama says he want to "fundamentally change" the concept of gun ownership in America.  He made a similar declaration a few days before the 2008 election about changing America as a whole.  Did he make his promise good, or should I say his threat?  How much of our socioeconomic system is still recognizable?  The politicians who say that they're on our side have fought valiantly to ensure that Obama doesn't get the whole pie.  Yet, they believe they've done the job we elected them to do when he takes only a big slice at a time.  As they walk away from the table with shredded underwear, the GOP shrugs and says, "Elections have consequences."  So does robbery.

The NRA was fighting for us when we had our first assault weapons ban.  Thank God there was a sunset provision to that one; there won't be this time.

Guest cardcutter

A peaceful march WITHOUT guns would do more in a positive way .

A march with guns is only going to cement the opposition and almost assure there will be a gun ban. We are dealing with fear here. So many have been spoon fed the myth that guns are evil, guns can kill on there own, simply owning a gun means a horrible death for you and you family. We are not dealing with rational , thinking people! You don't calm fear with confrontation.

The time for stronger action may one day come. Now is Not the time.

Edited by cardcutter
A peaceful march WITHOUT guns would do more in a positive way .

A march with guns is only going to cement the opposition and almost assure there will be a gun ban. We are dealing with fear here. So many have been spoon fed the myth that guns are evil, guns can kill on there own, simply owning a gun means a horrible death for you and you family. We are not dealing with rational , thinking people! You don't calm fear with confrontation.

The time for stronger action may one day come. Now is Not the time.

Not to mention the one nut or infiltrator that starts shooting in order to "jump start the revolution". I see that ending badly.
Now way in hell I want to be anywear near that demonstration. I spend too much time a the range watching nitwits mishandle their firearms in a "safe situation".

what pcrc said could you imagine the accidental shootings that would happen, not to mention the public perception of a bunch of gun totin (you fill in the blank here)

Every May in Illinois ABATE has a ride on the Capitol (Springfield, IL) to let the legislators know they do not want a helmet law. Thousands of motorcycles arrive and stage outside the city. ABATE has coordinated with the Springfield Police Department for an orderly ride to the Capitol. Yes, it is orderly but it brings traffic to a halt in the city. People bring lawn chairs and coolers and sit by the side of the road to watch the largest procession of Motorcycles they will ever see out side of Sturgis or Daytona.

The Motorcycles park around the capitol and for a few hours speeches are made and some state representatives even speak. Lawmakers look out their office windows at a sea of voters that don’t want a helmet law. I don’t know if they still do this, but Illinois doesn’t have a helmet law.

That’s my story and I really couldn’t care less about your feelings on the helmet law. biggrin.gif

But my point is I think this is what we need. I think it should be unarmed and none of this “Come and take them” non-sense. Threats don’t usually work well. Obviously if it were a National march in DC there would be no weapons.

I personally would have two concerns…
1. Letting one of our radicals get in front of a TV camera and start making threats.
2. No one shows up or the numbers are weak.

Edited by DaveTN

Never mind, guys, it's crazy to bring a gun to a talk fight. 

"Oh, damn!  Torpedoes!  Full speed backwards."

"Give me liberty or give me food stamps."

"I have not yet begun to negotiate." 

With all due respect, we're whipped before we start.

Guest bkelm18

No, most of us just have the common sense to see what a horrible idea it is to have a massive group of people with gun marching anywhere. There may be a slim chance it would work and open the eyes of lawmakers but there is also an enormous chance that it could backfire. So many things could go wrong. The risks simply far outweigh the benefits with an armed protest.

No, most of us just have the common sense to see what a horrible idea it is to have a massive group of people with gun marching anywhere. There may be a slim chance it would work and open the eyes of lawmakers but there is also an enormous chance that it could backfire. So many things could go wrong. The risks simply far outweigh the benefits with an armed protest.

That's plausible.  But can you imagine the number of friendly fire casualties we'll suffer if a real revolution starts?  And let's forget our argument that if only one citizen with a permit was at the scene of a mass shooting, he could take the wacko out.

That's plausible.  But can you imagine the number of friendly fire casualties we'll suffer if a real revolution starts? 
Cops or Military shooting you when pull guns on American Citizens isn’t friendly fire, so what are you talking about?
That's plausible. But can you imagine the number of friendly fire casualties we'll suffer if a real revolution starts? And let's forget our argument that if only one citizen with a permit was at the scene of a mass shooting, he could take the wacko out.
We are all in agreement with that. Why can’t we discuss that with our legislators instead of yelling “Come and take them!”?

Why do you think you need to be displaying a gun? Do you think you are going to intimidate a Congressman or Senator? Hold up your gun and yell “Come and get them!” They are going to point at you and say there is exactly why we want gun control. Man you are 66 years old, you gotta know threating someone isn’t going to work.
  • Administrator
Never mind, guys, it's crazy to bring a gun to a talk fight. 

"Oh, damn!  Torpedoes!  Full speed backwards."

"Give me liberty or give me food stamps."

"I have not yet begun to negotiate." 

I feel your frustration, I really do.  But this wouldn't be my first rodeo and like others have said it's just a recipe for disaster.  I too have spent time at countless ranges over the past 28 years of shooting and have seen all too well the extreme diversity of skill-levels and weapons safety practices among firearms owners.  There's too much about this that scares the hell out of me, and it has nothing to do with "sticking it to the man".

It's a bit of a catch 22... I firmly believe everyone should have the unrestricted, Constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms.  I also firmly believe that there are a lot of people out there I wouldn't trust being around with a sharp pointy stick, let alone a carbine of some sort.  I'd prefer some folks observe their 2nd Amendment rights out in the middle of the desert somewhere.  ;)

• Like 7

I didn't mean for this to get contentious.  I believe we're all freedom-loving patriots here who are "under the gun" right now with the threat of losing our last viable weapon that the Constitution affords to us.  But somehow this conversation went from a proposition that we all stand together and get our picture taken, to a dangerous marching mob of F-troop recruits.   Perhaps this long national nightmare will end with a peaceful resolution.  I pray to God it will.  But let's take a little time to reflect upon the threats we face and how we may persevere.   How will history judge this generation is a good question to start with. Since we may have to share a foxhole someday, I'll try to keep my criticism pointed in a safe direction.  :usa:

• Administrator

This thread here [LINK] describes exactly why I think an event like this would go badly.   This is at least the second or third story I've read lately about a permit holder somehow losing their damn gun in a movie theater and letting someone else find it.

Like I said, I believe everyone should have the right to bear arms.  I just don't want to be around some of them when they're exercising it.

• Like 1