New guy from Maryland...need your help

Guest X-Factor

Guest X-Factor

Afternoon TNGuns. My name is Tom and I'm a Virginia boy stuck in Maryland. I'm considering a move to Tennessee because I'm sick of the anti-gun attitude in Maryland, but I don't know a WHOLE lot about TN gun laws. I'd like some help on that and about TN in general. I own the typical EBR type stuff and a few bolts/shotguns. No Class III/NFA items. In Maryland, magazines over 20rds are illegal to buy/sell/transfer but not to own. CCWs are flat out impossible to get, OC is seen as the same as CC and just as illegal. We also have a handgun roster that lists "approved" guns that we can buy per the State Police. Handguns/AR style rifles require a 7day wait (minimum) and extensive paperwork. After the tragic events of a few weeks ago, the Maryland General Assembly will be taking up, in the new Session to start 1-9-13, bills that look at tightening the already constrictive noose around those of us who enjoy our Freedoms. Some will fight it, some will capitulate, some of us are saying enough is enough and leaving for better places. I'm sad to have to to this, I have a good career and life here (professionally), but my freedom is worth more than a few extra dollars in my wallet. Why Tennessee? Well I have family there, MY family has old history going back to the 1800s, and it's just a better place to live from where I sit. Virginia is going to be Maryland soon I think, and it makes me sad but it's becoming what this shithole is. We call Maryland the Peoples Republik of Maryland for a reason, and all have been diagnosed with Battered Maryland Gun Owner Syndrome (BMGOS).

So yeah that's me...questions? Comments? haha

We DO have a huge gun owning/shooting enthusiast community in Maryland, www.mdshooters.com

Edited by X-Factor
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest X-Factor

Oh right....what do I have. Well between my time in the Corps and my current career in Nuclear Security I've become QUITE attached to the AR platform as I'm sure many of you have as well. Mine is a frankenstein build, Spike's lower/LWRC lower kit fitted with Magpul grip and VLTOR E-Mod stock. Upper is a 16" midlength Bravo Company A-3 with BCM BCG/Gunfighter CH topped with Troy Medieval muzzle break. Very light, extremely accurate and reliable. Aside from that (my pride and joy):

-Rem 870 Express Tac 12ga

-Rem 770 30-06

-Fox 16ga SxS

-Glock 17 Gen 4

-HK USP compact .40SW

...and my wife's guns which I will not list because well...they are hers.

Welcome, no wait for a firearm in TN, just the 4473 and a backgroung on handguns.

As of now all mags are OK, sell, buy, give away.

As far as I know you can carry whatever you want for a handgun.

Guest X-Factor

Are permits specific to a particular gun? Any registration issues with what I currently own or just bring them in? Sorry I know these are asinine questions to you all, but I'm not a free man in this state. :(

The other thing I'm looking for here is networking, trying to find work somewhere in the state. I'm a Marine Corps Vet (infantry, Security Forces, Military Police), and almost 7 years in Nuclear Security, squeaky clean record and handy with a gun ;). Thinking either TVA or law enforcement, whatever I can provide for my family with but don't know where to start.

Edited by X-Factor

In Tennessee, you are required to take an 8-hour class to obtain your Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). These are offered at numberous locations for between $50-$80. You then take the certificate from said class to the Department of Safety, pay $115 and fill out necessary paperwork . You then get fingerprinted (some HCP class locations offer this service) and wait for your HCP to arrive in the mail. Usually a month or two. Once you receive your HCP, you can carry concealed or openly. It's a fairly simple process.

It's been several years since I went through the process, but that's about how I remember it. If I am off at all, someone will chime in shortly.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
That pretty much covers it. Very easy to purchase guns/transport guns. Carrying a loaded weapon in this state is illegal with a permit that is easily attainable and the permission to carry.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone

We suggest that you escape immediately.  There are TVA locations everywhere I am sure you could have your pick!

Better hurry, by the time you get here all the 30 round mags will be bought up :D  

Guest Lester Weevils

We also have several nukular power plants owned by TVA which might be good employment possibles. I'd think previous experience would be a leg up hiring on to the gov, unless they contract that out nowadays. Probably check the TVA website and maybe get some info.

Welcome to TGO,....... I have 2 years in TN so far, from 10 in MD.... well all I can say is I didn't make any mistake moving at all.... I'll always visit family and locations in MD, VA, and D.C. but I'll never ever live there again....

Edited by sigrug17
Guest RonM0710

Welcome to TGO and you will love it here in TN.  I think Oak Ridge pays their Security better than TVA, but since TVA took back their security from Pinkerton, pay has come up some. 

I left MD in 2004 and the little lady and I love it here.  I lived in the Annapolis area up there and my kids still do.

Gun laws here are pretty good, you can even carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle (just not one in the chamber) if you have a TN Handgun Carry Permit.