Distilling Spirits for SHTF

Watching 'Moonshiners' on the discovery channel got me thinking that a working knowledge of distilling spirits for fuel and 'medicinal' uses may be a desired or even marketable SHTF scenario skill. 

There are all types and sizes of stills available on-line, including the ones I like the most that are copper and come in kit form in several sizes. One of the videos on the manufacturer's website mentions a free 'fuel/small quantity' permit that is available, but I can't find any info available online as to how to go about getting one. 

My understanding is that it's legal to own a still, but illegal to use it in any capacity without proper permits.  I don't want to get busted making fuel for my alcohol stove.  Anyone have any experience with this or have any thoughts on giving it a try?

If I happened to know how to make alchol in a still, and do it without hassel, I would advise you to study up on it real good. Its not as important for fuel, but homemade liquor is an art form. If your not producing mass quantites I wouldnt be to worried about the legalites. Keep it jnder ten gallons at a time, label as fuel, and you'll be fine. Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy
  • Like 1
http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

Wow - nothing like a little governmental regulation.. 

“Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.”

I hoped there would be a way to do this legally on a limited basis, but it looks like that won't happen.

If you're going to make alcohol for fuel, I wouldn't necessarily look to Moonshiners. You're better off with a reflux still. Oh yeah... watch out for explosions :)

Moonshiners just got me interested and thinking about the benefits of being able to produce spirits - you'll never catch me attempting some of the things those good old boys do. The reflux stills look interesting..  I think I need to research the whole topic more before I look for any equipment.

Moonshiners just got me interested and thinking about the benefits of being able to produce spirits - you'll never catch me attempting some of the things those good old boys do. The reflux stills look interesting..  I think I need to research the whole topic more before I look for any equipment.

A reflux still is easy to build if you have copper skills. The hassle is in all the paperwork... something I wouldn't worry about so much in a Red dawn world.

What i read is that technically a person could be busted for having a 'used' still, even if all it's been used for is distilling water.  Realistically, my guess is that enforcement has better things to do than crack down on someone making a small amount of alcohol for personal use.

I'm thinking high proof alcohol would be a hot commodity in a post-SHTF situation, and it would be worth the trouble/hassle to get some experience making it.

So, I can make 200 gallons of wine or beer but no distilled spirits.  This makes no sense to me, but then again, a lot of things make no sense to me.

Techinally, its 100 gal per adult living in your household, up to 200 gal a year. I have found that my homemade wine taste so much better tan store bought.
So, I can make 200 gallons of wine or beer but no distilled spirits.  This makes no sense to me, but then again, a lot of things make no sense to me.

If it wasn't for the going to jail part, I would love to make some moonshine.  I grew up hearing stories direct from retired moonshiners and I think it got in my blood.

I would almost work at a legal distillery for free.  I said almost, I do have bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Techinally, its 100 gal per adult living in your household, up to 200 gal a year. I have found that my homemade wine taste so much better tan store bought.

Absolutely agree! Homebrew is better than store bought. I have friends with tannin allergies, and they are able to drink homebrew wine.

Tom

Wow - nothing like a little governmental regulation.. 

“Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.”

I hoped there would be a way to do this legally on a limited basis, but it looks like that won't happen.

Just remember, one of the first actions undertaken by the new US government after the Constitution was adopted was to regulate and tax distilled spirits.  It resulted in the Whiskey Rebellion, the first armed rebellion since the Revolution. 

The way I look at issues like this is that I want to have the knowledge and skills necessary so that I can do it myself if the need arises.  If we ever find ourselves in a position where we need to distill our own alcohol for fuel, medicine, and consumption, there won't likely be any federal agency to regulate it anyhow.  In the meanwhile, I'll just stick to my Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Just remember, one of the first actions undertaken by the new US government after the Constitution was adopted was to regulate and tax distilled spirits.  It resulted in the Whiskey Rebellion, the first armed rebellion since the Revolution. 

The way I look at issues like this is that I want to have the knowledge and skills necessary so that I can do it myself if the need arises.  If we ever find ourselves in a position where we need to distill our own alcohol for fuel, medicine, and consumption, there won't likely be any federal agency to regulate it anyhow.  In the meanwhile, I'll just stick to my Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.

Excellent choice of beverage  !!

• Like 1

Excellent choice of beverage  !!

If you are a bourbon fan and don't mind spending a bit more, try Jefferson's Reserve.  It's the best bourbon I've ever had and well worth the extra money (it's only a few bucks more than a bottle of Woodford's).  I'll keep a bottle of that on hand for TEOTWAWKI.

If you are a bourbon fan and don't mind spending a bit more, try Jefferson's Reserve.  It's the best bourbon I've ever had and well worth the extra money (it's only a few bucks more than a bottle of Woodford's).  I'll keep a bottle of that on hand for TEOTWAWKI.

Booker and Blanton are excellent also.  I have to get some of that J Reserve and relax in the hot tub and critique it  LOL. 

My wine tasted like crap and I tossed the entire batch. Now my honey amber ale...Yumm.

Back on topic:

Bio-Diesel. Easy to produce, store and use in a SHTF world. High proof alcohol is going to be a must for medicinal uses in the same world not to mention for the purposes of trading/bartering. It is a skill set that is going to be needed and easier to produce than homemade beer or wine.

I remember when they made a big deal about Popcorn Sutton and his moonshine....Now they are cashing in on Moonshine craze by selling clear whiskey in Mason jars..

Even making or buying cheap alcohol would be better than not having any stored..

I would think if you buy cases of Maker`s Mark or other high priced booze, people would definetly target you for it...

or just buy  sacks of corn.. sugar and yeast :)

My wine tasted like crap and I tossed the entire batch.

Well I don't know what to tell you but I've made a bunch last year and the only thing I poured out was a banana ( not enough bananas), and a watermelon ( soured).

If you want some help, I will help. If not what did you do with your wine making stuff?

Well I don't know what to tell you but I've made a bunch last year and the only thing I poured out was a banana ( not enough bananas), and a watermelon ( soured).

If you want some help, I will help. If not what did you do with your wine making stuff?

Sold it before moving to TN. Saw no need to move it from TX when I was not going to make any again. When I get done with this move back to Franklin, I am going to start brewing my beer again. Been a few years and I need to experiement with the recipe again.

If you're thinking about distilling spirits, you need to do the research. And don't believe everything you see on the Moonshiners TV show! :ugh:

Here is a couple of good sites to look over...

http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/index.php

Different type stills will give different results, some better for drinking... some for fuel.

Many things you hear and see is just not fact. I guess if things are told over and over, after awhile they are thought to be true?

Many seem to think using copper is the best metal to use for a still... well it is traditional... even Popcorn Sutton said copper is good, but stainless is better.

You may see where the first liquid out of the condenser is collected and a mouth full is drank and you may hear.." Boy that's good!".

This is BS for two reasons... You always discard the first half pint, or so, depending on the size of the still. This first part is called "foreshots" and contains amounts of undesirable compounds such as acetone and various aldehydes, and methanol. And can give you a heck of a headache! Use it to clean gun parts. The second reason is proof. The first part off the condenser is pushing 175 proof... I don't know of anyone that can swallow a mouthful and can say anything for a few minutes! :panic:

Edited by 1morethan8