Another Gun Show Question

Guest KCSTEVE

Guest KCSTEVE

Sometime ago, an actual BATF agent told me that it is unlawful to private sell or buy firearms while standing, outside, inline or in the parking lot at gun shows in Tennessee.  I found a law for CA but, not for TN.  Emailed BATF but got a "90 day waiting" letter in return.

Does anyone know where to find this ruling?

• Moderators

I do however remember seeing a sign outside of a show somewhere stating that you could not do it. I think it was an insurance thing. In all truth rumors like this probably get started in order to prevent people from showing up to shows, doing business outside, and then leaving without ever giving the show any of their money. I could see the people that run these shows becoming irritated at this happening if it appeared a lot were doing it.

I do however remember seeing a sign outside of a show somewhere stating that you could not do it. I think it was an insurance thing. In all truth rumors like this probably get started in order to prevent people from showing up to shows, doing business outside, and then leaving without ever giving the show any of their money. I could see the people that run these shows becoming irritated at this happening if it appeared a lot were doing it.

Business owners could also put up signs that say you must not wear underwear on their property, but it doesn't make it legal. All they can do is ask you to leave and then it would become trespassing if you refuse to leave. I think we need a site like "gunsnoopes.com" for all the crap that people come up with...

Sometime ago, an actual BATF agent told me that it is unlawful to private sell or buy firearms while standing, outside, inline or in the parking lot at gun shows in Tennessee.  I found a law for CA but, not for TN.  Emailed BATF but got a "90 day waiting" letter in return.

1st mistake . . . . believing anything a BATF agent tells you.

• Like 2

Did you see a badge or creds? I can buy a ATF tshirt at Spencers.

It is not illegal to sell face to face to residents of our state. I suspect it was security telling you. Was it by chance the Expo Center in Knoxville. The security there was notorious for being over bearing jerks. They would threaten customers all the time as well as steal their property while pretending to be LE. Real LE has since taken over.

Dolomite

Promoters of guns shows have several business reasons and not legal reasons why trading or buying guns on the outside of an active gun show is prohibited or stronly discouraged.   If people trade or sell on the outside, then they might not want to pay the houseman the entry fee, thus lost revenue to the promoter.  Table vendors (not businesses, but likely individuals) may just setup shop in the parking lot and sell from the bed of thier truck, car, etc, avoiding the table fee, thus lost revenue for the promoter.  Those are probably the most reasons, but there could be others.

Other less likely reasons:  In the parking lot, media and other anti gun people can have free rein to take pictures of gun transactions in attempt to show a negative spin on the gun world that its an open swap meet of unregulated gun transactions that could equate to bad PR, or bad relations with the actual venue owner thus potentially hurting the promoter for future events (loss revenue again for the promoter).  Another reason, guns traded and viewed on the inside have some reasonable sense of safety since they are highly likely have been checked and cleared as an unloawed firearm, whereas on the outside, firearms run a higher risk to be loaded, thus endangering people.  There could be possibly more reasons, but I assume its a revenue thingy.  Insurance reasons, maybe, but highly doubtful, but an easy answer to give gullable people who complain about having to move on if someone is trying to sell on the outside.   I would assume insurance only applies for indoor activity only, and is liability insurance for the actual venue owners, since likely the gun promoter is a corporation and has no assets (dispurses cash quickly to the employees and stock holders after each venue).

Edited by Runco