Good, All Around Combat Boots?

Hey Guys,

My wife returned a few things to zappos so now we have a credit on file that's been sitting for like a year.  I buy shoes about once every 5 years, but figured, I should get a good set of combat boots.  Boots I can go hiking in, or do just about anything "Tacticooool" in :woohoo:

Anyways .... I started my research, and it looks like many of our armed forces over seas run Danner boots.  Wanted to see what you guys thought of them or what your favorite sort of boots are?

Outside of Danner, I've been wondering about these Bates boots:  http://zappos.com/bates-footwear-delta-8-desert-tan#prdInfo

Zappos doesn't sell Danner, but they do sell the Bates.  $150 is a pretty penny for boots, but some of the Danner ones run $300+ ...

So, with that said.  What sort of boots do you like & run ?

Not really taticool, but I have been running a pair of Danner 6in Explorers for work. They were my 1st set of Danners and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I do landscape/lawncare work. My boots get wet almost every day either by the dew or mud and water. Which wears boots out in a hurry. I walk several miles working everyday as well.

Until my Danners most boots would make 6 months at the most no matter what brand I tried. These are almost a year old and still waterproof and the leather is in good shape as well. I may need to resole them soon because the tread is getting thin and I do not want to slip while running equipment or anything.

• Like 1

I guess you get what you pay for?

I've got a pair of high top Danners I purchased a very long time ago, they are Gore Tex lined and I think it was only the first or second year they came out with Gore Tex.

Still going strong and with their 3rd pair of boot laces  :up:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a pair of Dr. Shoals or this new gell foot padding goes a long, long way in foot comfort what-ever you purchase.

Edited by Dennis1209

I've got three different sets of USMC issued Bates that I love. The set I wear in the woods and for being tacticool are the ones we got with our frog gear on my last deployment. Excellent, comfy boots

2012-12-31_07-36-00_426.jpg

My work boots are bates steel toe desert boots that I got issued for using in the shop and I wore out several sets of them and never had a complaint. I am rough on boots and got about a year out of them before they got out of regs ratty, but still completely wearable.

Edited by Spots

been through handfuls of army issued boots. SUCK, every last one. blackhawk warrior wears are ok. fall apart fast. same with oakleys. 

Asolo Fugitives, best boots EVER. hands down. I'll never buy another boot. Battalion is issuing them, and holding up great from what I hear from friends. And mine have been with me for a couple rounds in Afghanistan and not even broke a stitch yet. worth the money. 

MARTY & LIZZ! all i gotta say for good almost brand new boots for a fraction of the regular price... but i did break down over the holidays and buy me a pair of nike SFB

I always wore Magnum Stealth during my law enforcement days.  I tried Rocky and Bates boots, but never found them as comfortable as the Magnums.  The Magnums also seemed to hold up quite well. 

As far as simple, basic, all-around combat boots, I was always a fan of the standard military issue ones that they used back in the 1980s-90s.  They were an all leather upper with a very durable rubber sole.  Nothing fancy, but once broken in and with a nice cushy insole added, they were great IMHO.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 2
Guest Wildogre

Danner Go Devils, I wore a pair for a number of years daily in both field and garrison. I got them back in 85, wore them till I got out in 91. Still have them, in fact wore them today walking the dog in the sleet. Buy once, cry once. 

yeah, i was about to say look at the gsg-9.2 high boots.  they are "supposed" to be very nice and I may get them for my next boot (if my department doesn't get me any).  Zappos has them for over $40 over retail though. I can't really recommend them since i haven't bought a pair yet, but that also means I can't say anything bad.  supposedly they run narrow though so get 1/2 size bigger if that's the route you want to go.

http://www.zappos.com/adidas-gsg-9-2

Guest Xmidnite_riderX

32 years service and still servingmy choice is danners first and bates second, my danners are 5 years old and look almost new with a little wear on the soles, the last pair of bates i had lasted almost 2 years wearing them every day