My first shotgun!

JD_

Hey guys. I just got my Mossberg 500 today. It is my first shotgun. I'm hoping to get it out this weekend. I'll report back when I do. I'm still reading and it will be a week before I can buy some different ammunition to try. I just picked up the Winchester game loads for now. Here are some pictures from a few angles. I've read a lot of good reviews on this gun and the few people I've talked to in Chat on here like them as well. What do you all think of it? Thanks for your time/input. I appreciate all you guys/gals here. 

Stock fully extended:

DSC_0070_zps373eaba4.jpg

Stock fully closed:

DSC_0075_zps24d78ae4.jpg

Cartridge holder:

DSC_0071_zps7a994667.jpg

Top View/Safety:

DSC_0072_zps804a7970.jpg

Heat Shield:

DSC_0074_zpsb0db5a7f.jpg

• Like 1

Nice shotgun! Do the shells on the shell holder interfere with you getting your cheek down on the stock to aim? 

Only if you're left handed.

I have the same gun minus the heat shield. For a while i took the original sight off and put a red dot on mine. Took that off and reverted back to stock sights.  

Only if you're left handed.

I have the same gun minus the heat shield. For a while i took the original sight off and put a red dot on mine. Took that off and reverted back to stock sights.  

Yes. I just checked again and it is fine. They could even be pushed down a little further if needed, but they didn't get in the way of my big noggin. 

Mine is like that used a MESA adapter and side saddle and swapped out trigger assembly with a Maverick 88  makes for an easier safety manipulation much quicker than the tang safety when you use a stock like this..

trick these days is to find a Maverick 88 trigger assembly 

Copyofm500action.jpg

doubles as my Turkey gun with a 28" barrel

Edited by LngRngShtr

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm looking forward to getting it out. Just got my case of shells I ordered from Cabelas. I'm all set. As soon as the weather eases up a bit, I'm going shooting. 

Very cool! Two weeks ago I got it's less-awesome brother, a 500 Cruiser/Persuader. It's got a 20" barrel, 7+1 capacity, and came with a pistol grip to swap out the fixed stock. I like my wrist in working order, so I'm leaving the stock on mine. :-)

Enjoy it, dude! Fabulous gun. I'm planning on running about 75 mixed loads through mine tomorrow. Can't wait!

Looks great, congrats.  My first shotgun was my evil Winchester 37A, 410.  Still have it, it is still as wicked today as it was back in 1974 when my folks gave it to me.  I do believe of my guns, it has killed more mammals than any one gun that I have (mostly squirrels).  Thus, the most evil gun that I have (evil to squirrels, good to me).

Looks really good. :cool:  What does this type setup cost? If you don't mind me asking. I would really like to look into getting one.

This one was $349 (Sticker had $379). After tax and background check, it came to $391 total.

They had an 8+1 shot one with the standard/traditional stock and it was about $20 or $30 more, which I like a lot, but this one felt better to me. 

Edited by JD_

Looks great, congrats.  My first shotgun was my evil Winchester 37A, 410.  Still have it, it is still as wicked today as it was back in 1974 when my folks gave it to me.  I do believe of my guns, it has killed more mammals than any one gun that I have (mostly squirrels).  Thus, the most evil gun that I have (evil to squirrels, good to me).

Bring it on, pal.

soldier_squirrel_zpsbd9e3517.jpg

What - no Picatinny rail?  Really . . . .  ;D

That's one of the things a guy at the shop was telling me and talking about different sights, etc. I looked at several different things. I thought about a flashlight mount, but for now, I think I'm just going to leave it as is. I love the way it looks and feels and don't think much needs to be done with it. I did swap out the target loads for some 00buckshot once I was able to get a few boxes.

I have the same gun, can't go wrong with that one. Every man should have a 12guage, I'll probably have my 500 forever. Loaded with Z-max Zombie 00 Buck for clearing out the undead or at least the soon to be...

Zombie Max for the shotgun??? Dang... didn't know they had that! Why don't I have any???