Glock 27 - Gen3 or Gen4?

cybernorris

i am a 40 man myself... usually carry a g27 with a mag finger extension... i do carry my g23c also... both are gen3... i do not like the stippling on the gen 4's to me its the same as the RTF frames without the gills on the slide... the replaceable back straps are not a big deal to me either... have you held both? tried the different back straps out on the gen4's? they might benefit you they might not 

I got my first Glock (a G22) back in 1993 and I've both personally owned or have been issued a G22, G23 and G27. I recently got a Gen4 G26 from another TGO member and I really liked the texture on the frame. So much so that today I bought another G23 in Gen4.
FWIW, I have no need for the changeable grip panels.

I was a LEO in Florida where it is far more humid than here in TN and I was around water, swamps, in hurricanes, on/off boats, etc. I like the texture of the Gen4 and the confidence it gives me around wet & slimey environs.

Hold both Gen3 & Gen4 and decide for yourself.
Mine is a Gen 4, I prefer the aggressive stippling. I'm like that on all my weapons though .45s, Sigs etc, I like the firm purchase. The Gen 3 just feels like its going to slip out of my hand. Also if its the same price the gen 4 comes with an additional magazine.

I have 2 of the Gen3 Glocks, a G33 and G26. I'm sure the Gen4's are great with the new backstrap, but I just think it's something else to go wrong, or lose.  The one difference that might be worth a look is the newer spring design in the Gen4. Supposedly, they are a little softer on recoil due to a new spring design... I can't say, because I haven't shot one.  Otherwise, the Gen3 are very worth it!

Guest FreeFalling

I have a 27 Gen4 and love it.  I put the large backstrap on it, and it feels very secure in my hand.  I like it so much that I picked up a 22 Gen4 the other day.

I can't speak to the Gen3, but I have to believe it's a solid gun.  Sounds like you just need to decide how much you need the Gen4 options.

Because the 3rd gen subcompact (26/27/33) models have a dual-spring recoil assembly, the choice is purely personal preference. I like the gen 4 but the changes are definitely evolutionary. Just pick what feels best to you. Edited by JReedEsq
I don't personally prefer one over the other. I carry a gen4 daily but own an assortment of the gen 3 & 4s. If you do get the gen4, check and make sure it's up-to-date on recalled parts. I bought a gen4 about a month ago and took to Glock factory in GA and they update for free. Was surprised to learn my "new" gun didn't come with the updates, but just depends on when was shipped to the dealer. So worth looking at. they will also send you update parts thru mail if you can't make the drive

I think Gen4s are cool to look at, but I am a Gen2 guy. All of my Glocks are Gen2. I am currently slowly acquiring the complete array of Gen2s for my collection from 17 to 23. Can you believe a Sig guy will buy Glocks? I do, love guns, all types. Reminds me of my best friend in College, he dated all types of girls all the time, really. I recall some absolute 10s, and then the 5s, and the 2s or 1s. Races, size, etc. didn't matter. His motto, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with. Got up too early this morning, little silly at the moment.

Guest brighac

I have a G27 Gen 3, I also found from a member here on TGO, one thing I wish I would of considered was if I wanted to use rail accessories.  Other than that I actually prefer the smaller mag release.  like all the other people have said, try to get your hands on each of them to see which one you prefer..

I own both textures (or have owned).  I carried a Glock 27 Gen 4 for quite a while on my ankle, which is where I carry most subcompacts.  My only gripe versus a gen 3 is the texture is aggressive enough to irritate my leg pretty badly by the end of the day.  Other than that I loved it when I carried it IWB.  In general I love the Gen 4 models, carry location depending.