lefty needs advice

Guest polishprepper

Guest polishprepper
Been looking for a carry gun......prerequisites 9 or 40....compact..single double action would be nice..priced right.....will do slightly used.... ..ambidextrous is a requirement on all features slide release clip release and saftey......

There are several models out there with Ambi safeties and magazine release (advise not calling it a clip around here). Asking for an Ambi slide release narrows the choices a bit, but there are a few out there. HK and M&P come to mind.

From one lefty to another, I would avoid going into it ruling out all options not catering to our genetic superiority :rock:

I have found that left handed specific models, or those heavy with ambi features can cost more up front and are sometimes more difficult to offload if you decide later you don't like it.  This is specifically true with rifles but applies to pistols as well.

I have found that with proper practice a lefty can easily learn to adapt to the controls of most handguns and rifles and be just as fast (and sometimes faster) than "the rights".

Good luck

I shoot lefty but am right handed due to an eye problem . To me I have never had any problems with Glock or some of the others that don't actually have a saftey that must be moved for the gun to be fired .Smith & Wesson and others also make them in this style.   It is one less thing to have to remember to do in a stressfull situation. I have never felt that the glock was unsafe to carry. I often also carry a Kel Tec 380 in a pocket holster quite often . Again it has no safety .

I suggest finding a indoor range that has some rental guns. I have seen several that offer permit classes have a variety to choose from . Look them over and find one that you feel comfortable with and run some rounds through it . You might not like it , then try another one until you find one you like before you buy one.

All yall need to learn, it is CORRECT HANDED SHOOTER, not lefty.

I carry a G22, mine is a gen3, I do have big hands, so useing the slide

release and mag release is not a worry.

Index finger for the slide and middle for the mag.

Gen4 you can move the mag release to the right

side so you can use your thumb.

As a lefty, my advice is to learn to pull the slide back to close it after a reload.  Practiced, it is reasonable.

Striker fired stuff and DAO guns with no safety at all eliminate the safety issue.    DA/SA guns HAVE a safety but it does not need to be engaged.  That elminates the need for a ambi safety model.   Its exactly like the safetyless dao guns or glocks: the trigger pull is long and stout and sufficient to prevent mishaps.

That leaves you with the magazine release being the key feature, IMHO.   If you can reverse it, or find a gun with a heel release, you have a winner.

The best lefty guns I own:

beretta nano: reversible mag drop, no safety.  Horrible, horrible trigger, otherwise excellent 9mm.

cz82:  its a 9x18, a little weaker cartridge, but it has an actual ambi safety and ambi mag drop, is a decent size for a double stack.

To be honest, I pretty much have given up.   My carry gun has a right handed mag drop that I have learned to deal with, and an ambi safety (its required as its a single action).  I can live with it but would love to slap the engineers that refuse to make controls reversible.  It should not be that hard to do but they just will not.

Edited by Jonnin

As mentioned above, I would try a few models before ruling out anything.  As a lefty, I have found many a right-handed mag release to be more convenient for me that for righties.  All but the stubbiest-fingered lefties can hit the mag release with their trigger fingers, often swiveling the grip less than a righty does.  As for ambi slide releases, you will be badly limited in your choices.  Again, some right-handed models are just as easy or easier for a lefty to manipulate with the trigger finger.  Others are mounted farther back on the frame and are harder to reach. 

Any safety that will be manipulated before firing needs to be ambi.  I would have an open mind about any other mechanisms, though. 

Like Red333, I have just learned to work around right-handed controls.

Middle finger for mag, I can't remember the last time I released the slide using the stop

Not sure if I had an ambi handgun how long it would take me to "re-learn" left-handed controls.

• Like 1
Guest polishprepper

I read the title and was getting ready to tell you where to shove it. There are a few pieces of advice I would give to a lefty but not you.

Dolomite

I was trying to make a joke. The title made it sound like a leftist, liberal needed some advice. That was the reason I posted what I did.

I guess what was going through my head in the wee hours of the morning didn't come out so well on the screen.

Sorry about the confusion and I appologize if I upset you. It was not intended.

Dolomite

Guest Wildogre

I also shoot "correct handed".

The question that I have for you is how much time can you devote to practice learning the controls of whatever pistol you pick? It takes 3000 to 5000 reps to develop muscle memory.

If you do not have the time to do this then go with simple controls or none at all. As others have said a mag release can easily be done with your trigger finger. I rarely use my slide release. 

Safeties are a personal preference. 

Hold, play with, and shoot as many different pistols you can. 

If this is your first carry piece normally lighter is better. 

My preferences are an alloy frame and a ambi safety, up to fire. 

I'm  a lefty myself.  For the 1911 type pistols, i use an ambi safety and it solves the problem.  Havin said that; i dont carry 1911 type pistols too much anymore.  They are simply too valuable to set in a police locker for several years if (...God forbid...) you ever have to do any shootin that counts.  Now, I tend to carry the glock type pistols; and i carry them right handed.  If ya spend lots of time in the car, a left handed draw is a problem.  My advice, practice both ways; and carry on your right side in a car.  Once ya get used to it, you will find out that you can shoot acceptably with either hand.  The big key here is to find out what pistol feels right to you and to practice (...a lot of practice...) with it.

Hope this helps.

leroy