After I read the start of Lights out...

Guest 6.8 AR

This link appears on Drudge.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/patriotic-group-build-armed-defensible-neighborhood-fortress

I don't blame them. Good idea. I wish I was younger and could join them. It also makes me think of Galt's Gulch. It's sad to

think we have gotten this far to see this have to happen, but I guess it was inevitable. It's just so depressing to see this kind

of stuff having to happen

I just got the Kindle version of Lights Out and started reading it last night. Starting out very believable and I'm wondering if

I should even keep on. I'll read it, any way. Too many good reviews. I hope I have enough time to read Nicholas and Alexandra

before too much longer.

Great idea until the government propaganda machine gets a hold of it and spins them into a group of cultist separatists who must be surrounded and subdued.  Any pocket of patriotic freedom must be stamped out lest it spread amongst the workers and give them the wrong ideas of freedom or any semblance of hope.  Nope, keep working citizen.  You have taxes to pay because we have votes to buy with entitlements and hobnobbing to do with other ruling elites.  Back to work, for you are the batteries of our grand kingdom.  Nose to the grind stone, for we have some drones to buy so we can keep an eye on these "Freedom Lovers".

Eh, maybe I'm just in a mood. 

• Like 2

I've been in that kind of mood for a while now, Dan. Can't see any way out of this crap, either. I have quite a large reading list

to get to before the lights go out, also.

I have quite a large reading list to get to before the lights go out, also.

Coleman fuel, white gas, kerosene, batteries, candles.

Plenty of time to read after The Meltdown -- in between trying to keep fed, warm, hydrated, and battling the zed hordes, of course.

- OS

Don't do that! I won't get to the ones I have. Ah, I'll have to go look that one up now, Erik. :D

Mac, got most of them covered. Heck with the batteries. I'm still working out which generator and how big a propane tank

to get. Haven't thought too much about the zed hordes, yet. :D

ohh I want to know what some more good reads are 

I have read 

Lights out ..

one second after

patriots 1 and 2 by rawles heard 3 sucks so havent read it

mathew bracken books were action tastic

dead winter just got done with book one ...Really slow

"Unintended Consequences" that book will put some hair on your chest 

and some zombie stuff 

somebody give me a list of some more good books along these Lines .......Please

Molon Labe by Boston Tea Party

Unintended Consequences

LUCIFERS HAMMER- awesome book!

Holding Their Own-by Joe Nobody.

The Hot Zone-different read, but a must read. Bioterrorism.

The Demon in the freezer-Again, different about Bioterrorism. A must read.

Surviving the Economic Collapse

How to survive the end of the world as we know it-Rawles.

• 2 weeks later...

Farenheit 451 is one most of us read in school, but it's worth another reading.

The Revolution by Ron Paul - The Congressman has provided the people with a guide for making this nation once again the Land of the Free. 

The Memoirs of Joseph Plumb Martin - Martin was an American enlisted soldier in the Revolutionary War.  Most military history books are written by generals and discuss broad strategies; this one was written by a private and he deals with such topics as foot blisters from forced marches and going hungry because colonist farmers he was defending refused to share food.

One Second After is a much better read. 

Eric is right. Darn, hurt to say that. :pleased:

One Second After is a book all the macho-hero-type survivalists should read. I think it presents a very realistic vision of what real people would encounter.

If you're looking for an upbeat, fun, good guy wins and saves the day book. This isn't for you.

In a different way, every bit as depressing as The Road.

Edited by hipower

But you should still read stuff like "Atlas Shrugged" and all the sci-fi stuff like that great book "Fahrenheit-451" and everything

Heinlein wrote. Those folks knew a lot more than I would have ever imagined. A scary thought of how society could turn out is

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Written a long time ago:1931. The new stuff is good, but the old stuff adds so much depth

from real thinkers, it puts things in order to me. Not knocking the new stuff at all, but the way the old guys put things together

so well, while dreaming up technology and it coming of age says a lot.

Eric is right. Darn, hurt to say that. :pleased:

One Second After is a book all the macho-hero-type survivalists should read. I think it presents a very realistic vision of what real people would encounter.

If you're looking for an upbeat, fun, good guy wins and saves the day book. This isn't for you.

In a different way, every bit as depressing as The Road.

Was a great read. I'd like a sequel part 2 as experienced and told by another character such as, say Gunny.

I was left wondering with the ending of the book? Unless I missed it or don't recall... What was the final fate of the main leader (forgot his name) and dear ole Gunny?

Don't do that! I won't get to the ones I have. Ah, I'll have to go look that one up now, Erik. :D

Mac, got most of them covered. Heck with the batteries. I'm still working out which generator and how big a propane tank

No need to think about zeds. You have it covered :)

Guest Lester Weevils

About a year ago old dad got a generac system sized to run his "manufactured home" including the heat pump, and (I think) a 300 gallon propane tank. It starts itself up and runs a few minutes once a week. It has kept him immune to a couple of "few hours" outages so far. IIRC he laid out about $10,000 or $12,000 for it. They came out (traveling techs from an adjoining state) installed everything. He didn't have to do anything except write a check. They sell "fairly affordable" maintenance agreements where they come out every year and check/fix anything wrong, top off the oil or change the oil, etc.

Old dad and stepmom are too feeble to move out and live in a hotel room in an extended outage, or camp out in the house without power, so its money well-spent in his case. He's also active on ham radio emergency nets, and wanted power to keep the radios going. He was first investigating a solar system big enough to run his radios and a few lights, but it priced out a few thousand even me doing the install work, so the generac made a lot more sense though more expensive.

If somebody wanted to prepare for a long outage, or routinely run the generator hours and hours about every day, something like the generac probably wouldn't be heavy-duty enough. That would want some big old heavy-duty deisel power plant and a humongous oil tank. People who have tractors with power take-off, the good tractors are built to run lots of hours and a PTO generator on a trailer would be maybe the least-expensive most-capable emergency generator, but it wouldn't automatically start itself up and switch itself in when the power fails.

edit: You can get lots less expensive generac home systems, sized to run only part of the house, essential circuits. That might make more sense for somebody not too feeble to set up kerosene heaters for outages in the winter, or fit enough to survive a summer without air conditioning.

Edited by Lester Weevils