Walmart Ammo

mikegideon

It is possible something shady is going on.  However, I have read several forums regarding this matter and several people have opined that Walmart is no longer in a position to bully distributors on what they are willing to pay for ammo due to the unprecedented demand.  The price of ammo is at a premium right now and as soon as it hits the shelf anywhere it sells.  Why would a distributor still sell ammo to Walmart so cheap when they can easily get a premium and sell everything they have.

I don't know what Walmart's reasoning is, but I can state that Walmart does bully the $hit out of it's suppliers.

Edited by mav
  • Like 1
[quote name="mav" post="884294" timestamp="1358134119"]It is possible something shady is going on.  However, I have read several forums regarding this matter and several people have opined that Walmart is no longer in a position to bully distributors on what they are willing to pay for ammo due to the unprecedented demand.  The price of ammo is at a premium right now and as soon as it hits the shelf anywhere it sells.  Why would a distributor still sell ammo to Walmart so cheap when they can easily get a premium and sell everything they have.   I don't know what Walmart's reasoning is, but I can state that Walmart does bully the $hit out of it's suppliers.[/quote] That makes perfect sense. Even better than my thoughts.
Just bought the last two boxes of 30-30 at my Walmart tonight. About the only they had left was 30-06 and 243, and that was ALL!

I'll call the # in that article in the morning. If Walmart stops selling it, maybe academy and sportsmans will be able to fill their shelves. I hope the article is incorrect though. Edited by Batman

It is possible something shady is going on.  However, I have read several forums regarding this matter and several people have opined that Walmart is no longer in a position to bully distributors on what they are willing to pay for ammo due to the unprecedented demand.  The price of ammo is at a premium right now and as soon as it hits the shelf anywhere it sells.  Why would a distributor still sell ammo to Walmart so cheap when they can easily get a premium and sell everything they have.

I don't know what Walmart's reasoning is, but I can state that Walmart does bully the $hit out of it's suppliers.

Echo TDR. Makes lots of sense.

Questions arise.

I wonder if Walmart is being bullied or bribed?

It would not surprise me in the least if they were promised tax breaks or another exemption from obamacare if they quite selling guns and ammo.

Walmart is not the only game in town, though. The only thing that ever gets me in their stores is to buy ammo, so I would no longer be a customer. Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

The reason I don't like the Walmart is being cautious theory is because even if there was a restriction enacted via EO limiting the amount of ammo an individual could buy, Walmart would still sell out of ammo once it hit their shelves unless that EO was an outright prohibition on ammo.  If that was the case, it would be tantamount to gun confiscation, and we all know what that would eventually lead to.

The Obama administration has no regard for the Constitution, and they are brazen in their attempts to circumvent it.  However, they aren't stupid.

I stopped by the Old Fort Pkwy store yesterday, and the gentleman behind the counter told me that they got some Federal 100 packs in on Thursday and sold right out of them in a couple of hours...didn't even have to stock the shelves with a single box. Also told me that the manager tried to order more, but the order was blocked and refused. Said that's the first time either one of them had experienced a blocked order.

I stopped by the Old Fort Pkwy store yesterday, and the gentleman behind the counter told me that they got some Federal 100 packs in on Thursday and sold right out of them in a couple of hours...didn't even have to stock the shelves with a single box. Also told me that the manager tried to order more, but the order was blocked and refused. Said that's the first time either one of them had experienced a blocked order.

It has been "reported" here or another forum, forget which, that they've stop letting individual stores order ammo until supply returns. Each store will just get whatever allocation they'd normally get proportional to sale volume history. That the individual ordering was just making overall supply more spotty.

Whether that's the case or not, we'll see. Either there will be ammo hitting the stores, or there won't -- should be pretty obvious in pretty short order.

- OS

It has been "reported" here or another forum, forget which, that they've stop letting individual stores order ammo until supply returns. Each store will just get whatever allocation they'd normally get proportional to sale volume history. That the individual ordering was just making overall supply more spotty.

Whether that's the case or not, we'll see. Either there will be ammo hitting the stores, or there won't -- should be pretty obvious in pretty short order.

- OS

This sounds like the most rational theory.

I know my walmart in Oak Ridge has been out of most common items for weeks.

However I have been able to buy .22 Mag every time I have went in lately even today.

I also noticed the price of .22 mag went from 11ish to about 12:50 ish. in the last 2 weeks.

I think they are holding it back as I have been in there and got the last 2 and the next day there was more. (seen that several times)

Today when I left they had at least 8 boxes I could see after I got 4 boxes.

(I had checked online and saw clinton has some .223 and .22lr Friday night, I drove down there Saturday morning and it was gone.  The lady was very nice and told me they did get some off the truck and it was gone in about 2 hours, both .22lr, 223, and 9mm.

One sure way to know is just to watch the ammo case. Not for ammo but just to check and see that the case is still there. Walmart is not the kind of business to let any realestate go to waste. If we start seeing glass cases full of scopes, binoculars, knives, what have you, then it might be legitimate. I'm still not holding my breath.
  • Like 1
[quote name="mav" post="884294" timestamp="1358134119"]It is possible something shady is going on.  However, I have read several forums regarding this matter and several people have opined that Walmart is no longer in a position to bully distributors on what they are willing to pay for ammo due to the unprecedented demand.  The price of ammo is at a premium right now and as soon as it hits the shelf anywhere it sells.  Why would a distributor still sell ammo to Walmart so cheap when they can easily get a premium and sell everything they have.   I don't know what Walmart's reasoning is, but I can state that Walmart does bully the $hit out of it's suppliers.[/quote] I've always heard Wallyworld did try to use that stance since they had so many stores.

I should have read further...sorry.

Maybe I'll call 'em tomorrow, for yucks.

- OS

Couple of threads over at SurvivalistBoards, everything in the world being said as usual.

Two different employees say it's 2 weeks until end of their fiscal year, can't even order register tape.

Stuff like that. We'll see.

- OS

• Like 1

- OS

I read the same thing on another forum.  It is possible, but I don't buy it.   The distribution centers could easily allocate ammo to stores based on normal sales volume without telling individual stores they can no longer order ammo.  That is the way it worked when I was a manager during my college years at a multi-billion dollar a year retailer.  If there was a shortage, you may get a partial shipment or no shipment at all, but you could still order.

Selling to customers that are suppliers to Walmart, I can tell you that Walmart beats the crap out of its suppliers, and even though the volume they supply to Walmart is large, the profit margins they make are d***.  My guess, as I stated earlier, is that there have been some price increases and Walmart is being pissy about it, which is very characteristic of Walmart.  Manufacturers will still make the ammo.  It may go to other retailers which are more profitable to the manufacturer, but it is still going to sell as fast as it comes in.  In this frenzied market Walmart doesn't really have a leg to stand on.  They will now have to compete with other retailers for x amount of supply.