Here's the actual list of Obama's Executive Orders

Not much there that will do much.  I do note that he seems to be willing to violate HIPAA and wants Federal Agencies to share information about mental illness

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. 

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. 

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. 

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. 

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. 

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers. 

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. 

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission). 

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. 

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. 

11. Nominate an ATF director. 

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. 

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. 

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. 

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. 

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. 

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. 

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. 

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. 

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover. 

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. 

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. 

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

• Like 1

Looks like most of it is to strengthen current laws and adds incentive for schools to have SRO's. HIPPA laws are not being violated by reporting threats. HIPPA only protects your medical records from being shared with the public. Records can be shared to LEO if a threat is present.

Guest brianhaas

Hey guys, I'll be writing a story about Obama's proposals and would be interested in speaking to one or two of you guys about both the executive orders and the proposed AWB and high-capacity magazine ban.

If you're interested, email me at bhaas@tennessean.com or call me at my office number, which is 615-726-8968. If you are interested, I'd need your full name and the city you reside in.

This would include folks who are in favor of what Obama is proposing (I'm doubtful there'd be many on here) and those who are against.

Thanks!

Edited by brianhaas

If anyone had doubts about Obama lacking the courage of his convictions, this should seal the deal.

Not only is he a liar, but a coward as well.

I wonder if the drum beat by us natives got a little too loud and he's not willing to push it from his end.   With states like NY passing laws on their own he doesn't have to push it.   They're doing it for him.  

Yeh, open the door on HIPPA. What else do you want your doctor to share with the feds? Mental health records used to be

one of the most protected things in the health systems. I trust the federal government. They won't use that kind of info to

check the box that says "disallowed" next to our firearm or ammo purchase. You don't know what you're biting off there, if

that makes it.

A doctor has a duty to protect, regardless of something new being added. If he or she considers a patient to be to the level

of causing harm to others, he or she already has that duty.

Quit falling for this crap! All today was geared for was something kicked down the road. He was a coward, but played his

political capital well, if he has any. He will push for a complete ban, but I guess he knows there are other things he can do

to wreck the country further before he does this one.

My only question now is when is the hysteria going to end so I can actually purchase something I want at normal pricing? :)

Based on some comments I have seen. It will be a long time before the supply of tinfoil is back to normal prices along with gun prices.

Guest MilitiaMan

I'll call this a win and relax, for now.  

My questions are can we now get AR-15' back to normal prices, when can I expect Walmart to start selling them again and when can I expect to stop hearing my LGS say that all AR-15's are "extremely rare now because the manufacturer's have stopped making them forever".

All seems pretty reasonable to me. Seems like it's primarily what we've wanted for years - enforcement of the current laws.

Well except for at least one of them are against the law.  #14 is a violation of federal law because congress prohibits the CDC from using any funding for gun related studies or research.

I'll call this a win and relax, for now.  

My questions are can we now get AR-15' back to normal prices, when can I expect Walmart to start selling them again and when can I expect to stop hearing my LGS say that all AR-15's are "extremely rare now because the manufacturer's have stopped making them forever".

I have no idea on that because it depends on what kind of deals were made behind closed doors with certain companies. You know

the closed doors from this transparent administration?

Personally, I'm glad this wasn't the last straw that broke the camels back. But that "straw" is ever hovering above that damn camel everyday and it might only be a slight breeze of more wackos committing heinous crimes before law abiding citizens are punished and tyranny rains.

Well except for at least one of them are against the law.  #14 is a violation of federal law because congress prohibits the CDC from using any funding for gun related studies or research.

And hiding the name gun control by saying gun violence. This is just the beginning, anyway.

I'm just a conspiracy theorist, tinfoiled hat wearing dumbass, so I'm going to say he is posturing his position on the bitter clingers

and bible thumpers in the south. The next round will be just a little stronger, and a little stronger until he extorts enough of Congress

to keep them from acting. He already bullied SCOTUS at a Presidential Address a couple years ago. He was softening them up for

Obamacare. At least that's what it looks like happened, looking back. He will do it again this time, somehow. I'm going to watch his

State of the Union and see. The Pompous Ass-in-Chief will be thinking he's going to turn in to Lincoln. I kinda hope's right, on one

respect. If it's another Gettysburg Address, well, that will be interesting, also.

I see he already diffused a couple on here from the real issue. Sorry to see that. Rather disappointing, though.

Guest bkelm18

I see he already diffused a couple on here from the real issue. Sorry to see that. Rather disappointing, though.

Acceptance of reality is not diffusing the issue. The EO's are pretty much what everybody has been saying they would be all along: hot air. They don't accomplish much other than the appearance that he's doing something. He realizes probably better than anyone here that any real change will have to go through Congress, and he knows that's going to be a bloody battle. So yes, I'm honestly not worried one iota over these EO's, because I know that the real battle has yet to begin.

Edited by bkelm18

#14 and #15 could both lead to regulations that could be almost anything. CDC could say the only way to stop gun violence is to ban guns. #15 could lead to impossible standards such as requiring all guns to only fire for their owner. (This has been suggested before). All in all not as bad as it could be be I'm not jumping for joy