Whitewater rafting the Ocoee?

Punisher84

Mike, it's always been my understanding that the whitewater rapid scenes were filmed at Ocoee and the wide calm river shots were shot in GA. Not 100% sure, but it's a fun razz for people going to Ocoee. = P

IMDB says:

Beaufort, South Carolina, USA

Chattooga River, Georgia, USA     (Cahulawassee River)

Clayton, Georgia, USA

Georgia, USA

Lake Jocassee, Oconee County, South Carolina, USA

Lake Tallulah Falls, Georgia, USA     (waterfall)

Oconee County, South Carolina, USA     (lake jocasee)

Rabun Gap, Georgia, USA

Sylva, North Carolina, USA     (dilapidated town)

Tallulah Gorge, Georgia, USA

- OS

For the 1st time in 30 years, TVA allowed the media to ride on the tram on top of the Flume. It was to show the progress they are making in repairing a section wiped out by a rock slide last year. Videographer Ashley Henderson shows us the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGemQrSYRQ

My granddad was superintendent of the Ocoee Dams till he retired . Or at least the main one that makes Parksville Lake, I guess he was in charge of the other two also, they always snapped to when I went there with him.

We used to walk the flume some, would have my .22 and plink along the way. He wouldn't let me shoot at any squirrels, though, since we couldn't retrieve them. Heck of grand ole feller, my gramps.

I've tubed down various stretches of it many times (plain ole inner tubes).. Got banged up a bit now and then, but nobody ever got seriously injured.

Learned to snorkel in the lake, and also got my first chance to scuba there too. Back then was crystal clear, hardly a frond of any kind of vegetation, and of course not a fish in it either.

Haven't had anything to do with it since about 1970. There wasn't any commercial rafting back then.

- OS

Oh Shoot... I'll even bet you've been to the "Blue Hole" too!

Yeah, two or three times in party mode. :)

I remember something or other about underground caves or tunnels or something there, but can't remember zactly what. As I said, party mode. :)

Yeah, two or three times in party mode. :)

I remember something or other about underground caves or tunnels or something there, but can't remember zactly what. As I said, party mode. :)

Several tunnels under the rocks around the Hole. That was the "party mode" area back then, we may have even been there at the same time!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7uVKdaLKj4

Several tunnels under the rocks around the Hole. That was the "party mode" area back then, we may have even been there at the same time!?

Only if you are old enough to know Noah's dog, like me? (you don't show age in profile).

I was living in Athens by the time I could run around in older friends' cars, then my own. Most water partying was on Watts Bar by then, and a couple of quarries in McMinn County. One of them is right by the interstate now, you can still see it if you know where to look (that stretch of I-75 wasn't even there then).

Cool vid.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I sit corrected. Thanks!

Parts of Wild River were filmed there, though.

This kidnik met Lee Remick briefly, and Cleveland got treated to a drunken Montgomery Clift running around a motel parking lot half nekkid. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Only if you are old enough to know Noah's dog, like me? (you don't show age in profile).

I was living in Athens by the time I could run around in older friends' cars, then my own. Most water partying was on Watts Bar by then, and a couple of quarries in McMinn County. One of them is right by the interstate now, you can still see it if you know where to look (that stretch of I-75 wasn't even there then).

Cool vid.

- OS

I'll be 65 in October.

Back in the 60's Parksville Lake didn't have any fish in the lake, unless near a creek outlet. Seems like every week an acid truck would run off into the river. I can remember when Copper Hill didn't have a tree any where near the mines. You could even taste the acid in your mouth when you were there.

I believe several drown in those quarries back then... I know the one next to I-75.

I'll be 65 in October.

Ah, then yeah, we could have coincided in teens. I'm sure we'd recognize each other now if so. :) :)

Back in the 60's Parksville Lake didn't have any fish in the lake, unless near a creek outlet. Seems like every week an acid truck would run off into the river.

Well, that and the general constant discharge of gawd knows what all compounds down the river from Copperhill. Made a nice dead zone on the lake bottom. Dunno if it were actually hazardous there or not, everybody swam in it. Water was aquarium clear, though.

Grandaddy and I would catch a few small odds and ends down below the main dam, but never much.

Obviously has turned around a lot since then, the state record Red Eye and Yellow Perch came outta there.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Lester Weevils

Wonder how many blue holes across the USA? There is also a blue hole in Soddy Daisy that has witnessed its share of young'uns feeling their oats over the years. Numerous youtube videos, none well-made enough to post IMO.

We went about five years ago. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but my wife won't. A guy in front of us got dumped and snapped his leg. We stopped and helped drag him up the bank to an ambulance. It took 30 minutes to get my wife back in the boat--she wanted to ride back into town with a deputy who was there. We did the upper and the lower Ocoee. I believe the upper, which, we were told some of the 1996 Olympics were held, is only only part of the year. Scariest part for me was when we hit one rapid (forget which one, they all have names) a little slow, got turned sideways, and one second later, only me and the guide were still in the boat. Like someone above said, those rocks are hard. Everybody was ok, though. My wife drank heavily when we got back.

ETA:  We went back to the Olympic section the next day and I shot this pic of a guy getting dumped.  They fished him out and he was laughing uncontrollably, but was fine. 

bth_ocoee2007021_zpsa1521847.jpg?t=13586

Edited by deerslayer

We went about five years ago. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but my wife won't. A guy in front of us got dumped and snapped his leg. We stopped and helped drag him up the bank to an ambulance. It took 30 minutes to get my wife back in the boat--she wanted to ride back into town with a deputy who was there. We did the upper and the lower Ocoee. I believe the upper, which, we were told some of the 1996 Olympics were held, is only only part of the year. Scariest part for me was when we hit one rapid (forget which one, they all have names) a little slow, got turned sideways, and one second later, only me and the guide were still in the boat. Like someone above said, those rocks are hard. Everybody was ok, though. My wife drank heavily when we got back.

ETA:  We went back to the Olympic section the next day and I shot this pic of a guy getting dumped.  They fished him out and he was laughing uncontrollably, but was fine. 

bth_ocoee2007021_zpsa1521847.jpg?t=13586

"Humongous," no doubt.

Guest jwrench75
I've done the Ocoee a hand full of times. The drops don't seem near as big in the boat as they do looking from the bank. Some things the guides didn't always remember to tell me: Best to sit in the middle or the back of the boat so you can wedge your foot under the seat in front of you. Not an option in the front seat. If you have to pull someone back in, brace your feet on the side and shove back with your legs pulling them in on top of you. If you fall out,don't try to stand up! Keep your feet out in front of you so they don't wedge down under a rock and hold you under. That's probably the biggest danger. Also, if you find a nice digital watch about halfway down the upper Olympic section, that's mine. Hung it on the boats carry rope when I flew out of the front seat!

Ya gotta be careful around those hydraulics. They'll suck you under before you know what's happening. They usually spit you right back out though.

There's a story of a deer getting stuck in that big hydraulic on the Chatooga. I forget the name of the rapid, but it's the same one that swallowed the movie camera. It's one of the highest class rapids on section 4. I just looked at the list of rapids to refresh my memory. Can't remember which one, but probably Deliverance Rock. There are a few class 5's. I remember some of them being classed lower back when I was doing it. Maybe people break more easily now then they did in my day :)

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Ya gotta be careful around those hydraulics. They'll suck you under before you know what's happening. They usually spit you right back out though.

During our training class, we jumped, tethered, into humongous and they let us ride it until we waved to be pulled out.  That one is like being in a washing machine.