"5 People Shot At 3 Different Gun Shows On Gun Appreciation Day"

So what you're saying is perhaps I should "cut loose" even if I might be in the "danger zone"?

OMG that was one of the funniest post i have seen in a long time... truly LOL'ing about that

Not criticizing, ET, but I wonder about all that news posted in Think Progress. Both sides tend to inflate the story, but that

bunch and it's affiliations don't give me much reason to visit their site. Just the way the article was written was cutthroat

from the beginning, and I wonder the circumstances surrounding the incidents. Who were these people and how in the Hell

can you shoot yourself while loading your weapon? Pretty stupid people and I wonder(oh no!, more tinfoil :D) if some of this

couldn't have been been done, accidentally on purpose. Liberals have been known to do some pretty sick stuff. Although,

not likely, there is that possibility. Who brings a gun to an event, loaded, to sell, knowing it will be checked? May not be on

the same team is a possibility.

The timing couldn't have been better, either.

This has got to be some kind of conspiracy by someone for all these shooting mishaps to be happening all of a sudden and so close together. I mean I know things happen, but it sure seems like lately there have been one after another mishaps where idiots either get shot, shoot themselves, or brings a gun to a show and shoots 3 people. Come on! 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/19/us/north-carolina-gun-show-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It's always happened before the only difference is now it's a ratings grabber. just like the media swooped on "stand your ground" shootings after martin/zimmerman. just how the media works. look how many negigent discharges there are every year. but only now do you hear about them. they always grab stories from the reaches of the country to tell you about whatever the "hot" item is to get your (the viewer) attention. if it would have happened in a home or away from a Gun Show you probably would have never heard of any of these events.

the "domestic dispute" in kentucky last week was just that. but since it happened in a parking lot of a college them victim attended it became a "school shooting". BREAKING NEWS - WE HAVE HAD ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING!!!!!  sounds alot better than "ALSO IN NEWS TODAY .... A DOMESTIC DISPUTE LED TO A FATAL SHOOTING"

just how it goes. how many "dog bites/attacks" are reported in the media compared to how many "pitbull bites/attacks" are reported.

I got rid of those people on my Facebook wall a long time ago.

I just hide them. I have quite a few that are on the other side, but can have respectful discussions. I won't deal with the mentally impaired ones (those that shall not be mentioned) on a regular basis, but am more than happy to smack them around if they sneak into a discussion.

The debate needs to happen at ground level. I do as much as I can tolerate.

I just hide them. I have quite a few that are on the other side, but can have respectful discussions. I won't deal with the mentally impaired ones (those that shall not be mentioned) on a regular basis, but am more than happy to smack them around if they sneak into a discussion.

The debate needs to happen at ground level. I do as much as I can tolerate.

Debate, what debate?

I can no more talk the spots off a leopard than talk a liberal gun hating individual to accept the truth.

You can win the debate, you can back it up with indisputable facts but, you seldom if ever will change the minds of people who base decisions on "feelings" rather than logic and common sense.

And one more thing y'all have probably noticed... Every time the government throws out the word "comprehensive", as in debate, proposal or legislation, get the KY out.

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Doubt any of them would have even been mentioned were the media not in an all out war against guns

The media is the Left's most powerful apparatus in pushing their agendas down the throats of the American people.  When they do something like this, it's about as surprising as when my dog takes a huge dump after eating 5lbs of dog food.

Debate, what debate?

I can no more talk the spots off a leopard than talk a liberal gun hating individual to accept the truth.

You can win the debate, you can back it up with indisputable facts but, you seldom if ever will change the minds of people who base decisions on "feelings" rather than logic and common sense.

And one more thing y'all have probably noticed... Every time the government throws out the word "comprehensive", as in debate, proposal or legislation, get the KY out.

EVERBODY needs to put their broad brush away. I don't know ANY liberal that joined that crowd over gun issues. Most of the ones I know are from professional relationships that were developed over years. They KNOW I'm not the picture that's painted in the media. Sure, they are liberals and get their information from liberal sources. Doesn't mean they won't have an open minded discussion with me. Some of them have brains.

I make progress most days. I'm just not as loud as the idiots on CNN

• Like 2
[quote name="mikegideon" post="890809" timestamp="1358711216"]EVERBODY needs to put their broad brush away. I don't know ANY liberal that joined that crowd over gun issues. Most of the ones I know are from professional relationships that were developed over years. They KNOW I'm not the picture that's painted in the media. Sure, they are liberals and get their information from liberal sources. Doesn't mean they won't have an open minded discussion with me. Some of them have brains.   I make progress most days. I'm just not as loud as the idiots on CNN[/quote] Haha, yeah, some of us have liberal wives at home!

EVERBODY needs to put their broad brush away. I don't know ANY liberal that joined that crowd over gun issues. Most of the ones I know are from professional relationships that were developed over years. They KNOW I'm not the picture that's painted in the media. Sure, they are liberals and get their information from liberal sources. Doesn't mean they won't have an open minded discussion with me. Some of them have brains.

I make progress most days. I'm just not as loud as the idiots on CNN

Hey Mike!

Mean no offense by expressing my opinion, as I enjoy yours, but...

I do paint all liberals with the same brush. Based on the modern interpretation of what a liberal vs. conservative represents in this day and age, and applying that to Constitutional law, the Federalist Papers, The Declaration of Independence, our founding fathers letters, my beliefs, etc. We are worlds apart in our philosophy as a society, individual and nation.

Are liberals bad people? Absolutely not, we just have totally different view points on our freedoms, the governments authority and responsibilities, moral philosophies and though process.

There's only three stances a person can take on this. The left, the right or a middle of the roader. I don't take the middle of the road because of the yellow stripes.

Haha, yeah, some of us have liberal wives at home!

She's pissed at me for the things I say about Obama and the rest of those clowns. At least I got an AR in the deal, since they're evil now :). Life is good!

BTW... Gonna stick the Geissele trigger back in it, now that it belongs to a real American again :)

Edited by mikegideon

Yeah, the not so gun friendly on my Facebook page have been having a field day with this.

That's where I saw the original link.  It came from the FB page of a friend who is an enthusiastic and unapologetic "progressive" Democrat and Obama supporter. 

The fact of the matter is that gun owners must be responsible, and if we can't take care of it, there are people out there who are more than happy to use our missteps as justification to allow the government to do it for us.  Let's consider the issue of guns used in crime.  Many are stolen.  One report I read said that over 7,000 NFA firearms have been reported as stolen.  How many gun owners fail to make any effort to secure their firearms?  Even my nightstand gun is in a lockbox so that any theft can be hindered and my 2 year old won't access it.  I keep a lockbox in my car so that I secure my weapon when I can't carry it on my person.  Speaking to the cases in the story, these are examples of careless weapon handling.  I guarantee that the shotgun incident took place when the owner came to the show with a cased shotgun that had a round chambered and the safety off, and when he reached into the case to remove the weapon, he did it with his finger on the trigger.  One other incident was when an individual fired off a round while reloading the firearm after leaving the show.  I can think of 4 different negligent discharges by fellow LEOs during my 10 years in policing.  We keep saying that gun ownership is a right, which I fully agree with, but with that right - as with any right - we must exercise responsibility.  There are too many gun owners out there who are irresponsible, sloppy with their firearm safety skills, and lax when it comes to keeping their weapons secure from criminals and others not able to possess a firearm responsibly.  Of course, no law will fix that problem, but that won't stop the anti-gunners from implementing restrictions.

It always comes back to individual accountability and responsibility. That should be an assumption for everyone who gives a

damn about anything, especially something of theirs.

But back to the media, that's expected that the media will come up with anything that will cast a negative appearance on anything

that helps their agenda. The only real cure is get the media in the hands of someone with a different agenda, like constitutional

appreciation and not liberal fallacy. That'll be the day.

Hey Mike!

Mean no offense by expressing my opinion, as I enjoy yours, but...

I do paint all liberals with the same brush. Based on the modern interpretation of what a liberal vs. conservative represents in this day and age, and applying that to Constitutional law, the Federalist Papers, The Declaration of Independence, our founding fathers letters, my beliefs, etc. We are worlds apart in our philosophy as a society, individual and nation.

Are liberals bad people? Absolutely not, we just have totally different view points on our freedoms, the governments authority and responsibilities, moral philosophies and though process.

There's only three stances a person can take on this. The left, the right or a middle of the roader. I don't take the middle of the road because of the yellow stripes.

There are varying degrees on both sides. Liberals are going to form their opinions by hanging with like minded folks. Some are smart enough to deal with the complexities outside that bubble. I have no use for the hard core Obamabots. I have swayed a few away from the gun ban mantra. Every one of those is a win.

There are stupid people in every community, most certainly plenty in the gun community.  There is rarely a trip to the range that doesn’t have me grimacing at the ignorance or carelessness of my fellow gun owners. While I 100% believe that it is an individual’s right to own and carry a weapon as a way of defending themselves, as well as a way to keep tyrannical leadership at bay, I do think it is also everyone’s responsibility to do so in a safe and orderly fashion.  I see too many people handle their firearms in the same flippant manner my son plays with his toys.

In my line of work a Negligent Discharge would mean a career change, so it is something I don’t take lightly.  I have heard many gun owners (even on this site) talk about NDs as though they are unfortunate but commonplace.  In my experience, if the basic rules of gun safety (that many have heard 1000 times yet ignore) are practiced, it is virtually impossible to have a negligent discharge, and in the event one did occur it would not result in an injury because the weapon should be pointed in a safe direction.

I have not yet been to a TN gun show, but I have been to several in WA.  They had it clearly posted that no concealed carry was allowed, and that all firearms brought into the premises where cleared by the staff and action zip-tied.  Additionally they had two colors of name tags that patrons wore.  One color said you could look but not touch (firearms), the other color (which required membership and background check) indicated that you were cleared to handle and purchase.  Needless to say there was no “gun show loophole” at this venue.  That being said, several of the vendors were acquaintances of mine, and they said that they really liked how much it cut down on Joe Blow wandering around wanting to finger f*ck everyone’s guns and not buy anything.

I think the argument for most is that teachers who already have a carry permit and choose to be armed can do so, but likely with additional training.  I would think that most teachers are much better candidates for carry than many of the people I have seen show up at gun shows.

I absolutely agree with that! You are correct most would be good, I was talking about mandatory carry. There used to be a guy on here that was a professor at MTSU that said he carried... I sure would want to if I were him!

There are stupid people in every community, most certainly plenty in the gun community.  There is rarely a trip to the range that doesn’t have me grimacing at the ignorance or carelessness of my fellow gun owners. While I 100% believe that it is an individual’s right to own and carry a weapon as a way of defending themselves, as well as a way to keep tyrannical leadership at bay, I do think it is also everyone’s responsibility to do so in a safe and orderly fashion.  I see too many people handle their firearms in the same flippant manner my son plays with his toys.

In my line of work a Negligent Discharge would mean a career change, so it is something I don’t take lightly.  I have heard many gun owners (even on this site) talk about NDs as though they are unfortunate but commonplace.  In my experience, if the basic rules of gun safety (that many have heard 1000 times yet ignore) are practiced, it is virtually impossible to have a negligent discharge, and in the event one did occur it would not result in an injury because the weapon should be pointed in a safe direction.

I have not yet been to a TN gun show, but I have been to several in WA.  They had it clearly posted that no concealed carry was allowed, and that all firearms brought into the premises where cleared by the staff and action zip-tied.  Additionally they had two colors of name tags that patrons wore.  One color said you could look but not touch (firearms), the other color (which required membership and background check) indicated that you were cleared to handle and purchase.  Needless to say there was no “gun show loophole” at this venue.  That being said, several of the vendors were acquaintances of mine, and they said that they really liked how much it cut down on Joe Blow wandering around wanting to finger f*ck everyone’s guns and not buy anything.

Concur!

So, I guess Washington was one of those states, as you said, had no "gun show loop-hole." Were yall able to do private sales (person to person) or did everything have to be transferred through an FFL holder?

Not criticizing, ET, but I wonder about all that news posted in Think Progress. Both sides tend to inflate the story, but that

bunch and it's affiliations don't give me much reason to visit their site. Just the way the article was written was cutthroat

from the beginning, and I wonder the circumstances surrounding the incidents. Who were these people and how in the Hell

can you shoot yourself while loading your weapon? Pretty stupid people and I wonder(oh no!, more tinfoil :D) if some of this

couldn't have been been done, accidentally on purpose. Liberals have been known to do some pretty sick stuff. Although,

not likely, there is that possibility. Who brings a gun to an event, loaded, to sell, knowing it will be checked? May not be on

the same team is a possibility.

The timing couldn't have been better, either.

I get that, which is why I made that caveat at the start.  However, I did see the story from other sources, which leads me to believe they are accurate.  With that said, the anti-gun folks in the media obviously went out of their way to hunt down these stories specifically for the purpose of discrediting the pro-2nd Amendment movement.  I'm sure that if any of us tried very hard, we could find several other news stories of defensive uses of a firearm, but of course the anti-gunners won't look for these and will downplay or ignore them when they are found.

Come on now.  Do you really think that the anti-gun people intentionally sent some folks to random gun shows to have NDs to make a political point?  And these folks are so willing to take one for the team that they shoot other people and themselves?  Please tell me this is sarcasm.  Need I remind everyone that there was a ND at one of the Knoxville gun shows this past year?  How many people somehow manage to shoot themselves with an "unloaded" firearm?  Is it not out of the realm of possibility that the fellow with the shotgun "knew" it was "unloaded" before he brought it to the show?  We constantly talk about the morons at the shooting range who point loaded guns at fellow family members to demonstrate technique, walk out to change their target while people are still firing, and sweep other shooters with their firearm. 

Here are direct links to local news reports of all three incidents, no liberal ThinkProgress to worry about:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-gun-show-reopens-after-accidental-shooting/12002981/

http://fox8.com/2013/01/20/new-safety-precautions-after-gun-show-shooting/

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/man-accidentally-shot-at-gun-show

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I absolutely agree with that! You are correct most would be good, I was talking about mandatory carry. There used to be a guy on here that was a professor at MTSU that said he carried... I sure would want to if I were him!

I teach at LMU and I don't think any of my students want me dead quite yet, but that's subject to change every 4 months or so. :hiding:

• Like 1

"Come on now.  Do you really think that the anti-gun people intentionally sent some folks to random gun shows to have NDs to

make a political point?  And these folks are so willing to take one for the team that they shoot other people and themselves?"

Wait a minute! I didn't say that, although, before long I may. I said I would like to know more of the circumstances around those

incidents. Like who did what and when? That article started out on the warpath and never let up. I think you know that, ET. Yes,

liberals have a track record of writing crap, and, yes, liberals have a track record of violence. That's all I was alluding to.

After a while, and this stuff becomes repetitive enough you might start to see patterns you might not see, yet.

But the bigger question is:Am I partisan? Hell yes, I am. I've seen enough and read enough about the violence and the things

liberals have done to dumb down our children to a level I wouldn't have imagined. I remember who teaches our young and is

essentially in charge of what they are taught. I remember who is wrecking the economy by the wonderful welfare system. I

remember the Snail Darter and how it kept a dam from being built. I doubt you want to know what else I remember without going

to wiki or Snopes. :D In other words, I remember a whole lot of stuff that makes me partisan.

Concur!

So, I guess Washington was one of those states, as you said, had no "gun show loop-hole." Were yall able to do private sales (person to person) or did everything have to be transferred through an FFL holder?

Person to Person transfers were still legal according to the state at that time, not sure if they still are. The organization that put on the gun show had enacted that policy of their own accord, reportedly as a result of unsafe gun handling and some questionable sales in previous years. I personally didn't mind it. They were very up front about it so no one had expectations of it being otherwise. I wasn't a big fan of not being allowed to carry there, but consoled myself that I might have a better chance of walking out of there without getting accidentally shot by some yahoo that couldn't keep it in his pants (you know, the guy who looks for any occasion to whip it out and show everyone because he thinks he's cool, but is really just a big tool).

Person to Person transfers were still legal according to the state at that time, not sure if they still are....

Washington shows as personal sales of long guns and hand guns legal, except at gunshows on the opencarry.org maps. They're generally accurate.

I don't know when the ban at gun shows was enacted.

Colorado shows as the only other state where personal transfer of long guns and handguns are legal except at gunshows.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot