Coal Creek Banning Hunting

Its been posted on another Tn hunting website that COAL CREEK REC AREA has stopped any hunting on their 72000ac,a return email to somebody stated it has never been allowed but they over looked it til now.I would think they probaly stop any gun carrying also .If you like to use this property & buy permits every year you might want to ck into it.I hate that much property will be lost by the hunters & possibly anybody lic to carry a firearm

I believe that they already have a no firearms policy, they did last time I was there but that was about 3 years ago.  I would have a hard time believing that they condoned hunting on their property anyway considering they have their own security force that patrols the property looking for trespassers.  From the sound of it anyone hunting there previously was trespassing anyway.  This is a privately owned facility is it not?

EDIT:  After looking at their website it looks like they have changed their policy to "Firing of weapons is strictly prohibited. NO TARGET PRACTICE!" I read this as "feel free to bring your carry weapon, please do not target practice at our facility."

Edited by 10-Ring
[quote name="mike243" post="893086" timestamp="1358899019"]they dont allow folks with HCP to carry on their property either,police & their security only,[/quote] Do you know that for a fact? Everyone I've ever road with up there was carrying and very seldom ran across someone else riding that wasn't carrying.

I know one of the security guys personally, Not from his exact words but if you have it, don't show it. Don't do any target shooting or stupid stuff... But i digress, most of the people i see up there riding without a helmet and drunk off their asses are more capable of doing something stupid.

FYI, They once allowed hunting on the property( I know, I saw all the orange vests and hunters parked close to the trails.) I have personally rode there while hunting was going on. An to think some hunters say atvs run their deer off. I call BS on that one. Beings that place is open 24/7/365, the deer are used to it.

With 72,000 acres, 2 guys patrolling can't cover the whole area all the time.

Now when they have big events like their spring and fall jamborees, When they have the atv events in the event area, they'll search your cooler for beer and such, make you pour it out or take it back to your campsite. I haven't seen them do a search for weapons, but don't give them an excuse to do so.

[quote name="Wyldk2" post="893293" timestamp="1358908261"]An to think some hunters say atvs run their deer off. I call BS on that one. Beings that place is open 24/7/365, the deer are used to it.  [/quote] I call bs on your calling bs, lol. Regardless of where it is or how often they see and hear them, I don't think deer or turkeys ever completely disregard atv's.

I call bs on your calling bs, lol. Regardless of where it is or how often they see and hear them, I don't think deer or turkeys ever completely disregard atv's.

most people that complain about ATVs are implying that deer don't live in these high traffic ATV areas.  That is simply not true.  Of course an ATV screaming by will spook any deer anytime, but they don't leave the county.  

I call bs on your calling bs, lol. Regardless of where it is or how often they see and hear them, I don't think deer or turkeys ever completely disregard atv'

Apparently cuz, you've never been in a high atv traffic area before.  I've come within 20 feet of deer on my can-am and they didn't move. Just stood there like we was in cars on the road.

But most places i have rode that have high ohv traffic, the wildlife move around, just don't leave.

But to answer the op. Yes hunting is more than likely going to be banned at Windrock OHV park.  From my very good source, one of the head guys up there has allowed hunting in the past but since it is mainly a Mining operation with atv/ohv use as a side income( soon to overcome the mining income when the gas and coal are gone), I believe the safety issue with hunting around a lot more atv use than any hunting use will force the owners to close further hunting access on said property. They just cannot afford any increaced liability issue. The safety of their customers comes first.

I don't know for sure but per my well placed source, it probably is going to happen.

• 9 months later...
I hope coal creek realizes that they are about to tell people that was raised off that mnt, eat off that mnt, live off that mnt that they cannot use the mnt anymore I personally buy a permit every year because it saves the hassle with security from my past encounters with coal creek management and security the only want to accommodate atv rider hikers bikers out of towners. I think the only liability coal creek has is when someone burns the mnt down when there told there not allowed to hunt hunting has been done for millions of years not joy riding more people has died from joy riding on windrock than hunting just saying if u do not like what I'm saying prob because u are a out of towner who does not know that mnt like me maybe we can meet in the middle and work something out to please everyone thanks for your time

I hope coal creek realizes that they are about to tell people that was raised off that mnt, eat off that mnt, live off that mnt that they cannot use the mnt anymore I personally buy a permit every year because it saves the hassle with security from my past encounters with coal creek management and security the only want to accommodate atv rider hikers bikers out of towners. I think the only liability coal creek has is when someone burns the mnt down when there told there not allowed to hunt hunting has been done for millions of years not joy riding more people has died from joy riding on windrock than hunting just saying if u do not like what I'm saying prob because u are a out of towner who does not know that mnt like me maybe we can meet in the middle and work something out to please everyone thanks for your time

Can I buy some punctuation?

First off this is a privately owned property. Any past history you or your family have on this property is because the owners allowed. You have absolute zero rights and zero ownership on that tract. It is not public and never has been, although people like to think like it is.

People have threatened to burn Gobey for over a decade over our management decisions and it is always false threats. Big deal....light it up, hope they catch em and put em under the jail.

Your rant is not only incoherent but it's offense to all private land owners. No one comes to your house and tells you how to mow your yard, what gives you the right to tell Coal Creek how to manage theirs?
  • Like 5

People have threatened to burn Gobey for over a decade over our management decisions and it is always false threats.

I was going to comment earlier, but I wasn’t sure I was interpreting the statement right; my interpretation was the same as yours.
That and I wasn’t sure you could burn a Mountain in Tennessee at any time of year. biggrin.gif
And golby has burned twice in they last few years that I know of I don't know if somebody caught it on fire or natural causes I'm not here to fight or threaten just hate to see it happen if it does you are
Right private owners has right to rules and again I apologize for any punctual mistakes .
[quote name="Toyo3" post="1071922" timestamp="1385941902"] And golby has burned twice in they last few years that I know of I don't know if somebody caught it on fire or natural causes I'm not here to fight or threaten just hate to see it happen if it does you are Right private owners has right to rules and again I apologize for any punctual mistakes .[/quote] Gobey has only burned once of significance and that was arson. But just typical redneck asshole with no sense of responsibility. I was referring to when we leased Gobey for hunting a few years ago and the locals went ape ####. Still the point remains. Private is private. The state now owns 10,000 acres on Bird mountain and an easement on 20,000 more acres spanning across Landrum Mtn all the way to Pea Ridge. That's roughly 30,000 acres of free hunting land. No WMA permits, no special quotas just open land for hunting enjoyment. All within a short drive of Coal Creak. As for the punctuation; I understand some people are inexperienced with computers, it just makes it hard to understand without a few comas and periods. No real harm just seemed like you were ranting. Edited by Lumber_Jack

I was going to comment earlier, but I wasn’t sure I was interpreting the statement right; my interpretation was the same as yours.
That and I wasn’t sure you could burn a Mountain in Tennessee at any time of year. Posted Image

Well actually you can burn a large chunk if you catch a dry time and a good wind. We had one in Morgan county (referenced above as Gobey) that burned 1,200 acres or so. Nothing devastating just burned the brush and scared some trees.

Apparently cuz, you've never been in a high atv traffic area before. I've come within 20 feet of deer on my can-am and they didn't move. Just stood there like we was in cars on the road.

What's the of the biggest buck you've ridden within 20' of like 5 B&C? Lol Edited by JWC
  • 2 months later...

Probably a 12 pointer. I really didn't catch the size of the buck, just more intrested in my ride than the wildlife. Man, I have deer in my neighborhood all the time( I've been within 12 ft of a few and they seem to know i'm not going to hurt them).