Losing my Religion in a major key

MacGyver

• Admin Team

A friend sent this to me this morning, and though it has nothing to do with guns, I thought it was pretty cool.

For anyone who grew up in or around Atlanta/Athens in the 80's and 90's, REM was a major influence.  Losing my Religion has always been one of my favorite songs.  This guy has taken and rescaled it from a minor key into a major key.  It takes a sad song about lost innocence and turns it into a popesque Shiny Happy People with much sadder lyrics.

See what you think:

http://vimeo.com/57685359

My wife and I were just talking about this, last week. Our 2-year-old son prefers the bad-guy songs in his Disney movies. They are all in minor keys. I'm sure it speaks to our psychology if we are drawn to one or the other...but I don't pay much credence other than a passing curiosity. BTW: I HATE the major key version of this song. :)
  • Admin Team

BTW: I HATE the major key version of this song. :)

You're probably right about the way it speaks to our psychological makeup.

I already liked the original version of the song, but throwing it into a major key was like someone lifted the shades in that room and suddenly made it a lot sunnier.  I kind of dig it.

I liked REM until they sold out and went big, they kinda lost too much when they did that.

I will also say that I would LOVE to have the REM & B52s combine for a bunch of songs.  They did 2 or 3 with the REM singer & b52 girls and they sound awesome together.   I dunno if they ever did more or not, been a long time since I listened to the softer stuff.  Takes a pretty special vocalist to get me into anything less than thrash.   The female voice MADE shiny happy people work.  Without it, it was just an idiotic song, but with it, its a whole lot better.

Saw REM in chattanooga in the early 90s, 91, 92?  Have not thought about them a lot since those days.

Edited by Jonnin

You're probably right about the way it speaks to our psychological makeup.

I already liked the original version of the song, but throwing it into a major key was like someone lifted the shades in that room and suddenly made it a lot sunnier.  I kind of dig it.

While I'm not a big REM fan, I do like this song.  This sounds like the Disney version.  :-\

Being a metal/blues fan, most anything in a major key sounds like a kids song to me. 

I kept trying to remember the original version. Then it hit me. I think it was an improvement. The original never appealed, and this

one, even though not my kind of music, did have something more going on.

It's either Van Halen, or the like, or some pretty gal playing classical violin. Yeh, I guess I'm weird. :D

Got to say I would have gotten mad if someone would have changed Vivaldi's Four Seasons like that. Some things

you just don't change. That would be as ridiculous as Lady Gaga's AR-15 boobs.

Edited by 6.8 AR
  • Admin Team

I liked REM until they sold out and went big, they kinda lost too much when they did that.

I will also say that I would LOVE to have the REM & B52s combine for a bunch of songs. They did 2 or 3 with the REM singer & b52 girls and they sound awesome together. I dunno if they ever did more or not, been a long time since I listened to the softer stuff. Takes a pretty special vocalist to get me into anything less than thrash. The female voice MADE shiny happy people work. Without it, it was just an idiotic song, but with it, its a whole lot better.

Saw REM in chattanooga in the early 90s, 91, 92? Have not thought about them a lot since those days.

A girl I dated one time took me to a show indicating to me that we were going to see "that group that sings that song, Missionary Man. I think." I thought to myself, I like Annie Lennox. I like the Eurythmics okay. It'll be fun.

You can imagine my surprise when I showed up and it was in fact a B-52's concert. I wasn't a huge fan, but again growing up around the Athens scene, I thought, "this will be okay."

I've seen The Who.  I've seen Black Sabbath and Ozzy on separate occasions, Black Crowes, ZZ Top and dozens of assorted 80's hair bands. Those were all loud. B-52's had them beat by a magnitude of scale. Kate Pierson cranked up way past the pain threshold was absolutely the single most excruciating thing I've ever heard. 

To this day, when I hear the opening bars of Love Shack it makes my head hurt.

[quote name="MacGyver" post="894954" timestamp="1359060993"]A girl I dated one time took me to a show indicating to me that we were going to see "that group that sings that song, Missionary Man. I think." I thought to myself, I like Annie Lennox. I like the Eurythmics okay. It'll be fun. You can imagine my surprise when I showed up and it was in fact a B-52's concert. I wasn't a huge fan, but again growing up around the Athens scene, I thought, "this will be okay." I've seen The Who.  I've seen Black Sabbath and Ozzy on separate occasions, Black Crowes, ZZ Top and dozens of assorted 80's hair bands. Those were all loud. B-52's had them beat by a magnitude of scale. Kate Pierson cranked up way past the pain threshold was absolutely the single most excruciating thing I've ever heard.    To this day, when I hear the opening bars of Love Shack it makes my head hurt.[/quote] I dunno, I may have you beat. My girlfriend (now wife of 11 years) asked me to go with her to a concert. "Its a suprise" she says. Yeah, it was fricking lillith fair. I wont describe my thoughts About the evening so i dont offend anyone, but lets just say I didnt call her for a few days afterward.
  • Like 2