My "I Want An AR Thread"

Also, I was kinda leaning towards this LMT, but am unsure about a thing or two. https://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=63&cid=6&session=c75668ea8f660f91b0583b3def0d601a

Does anyone know if LMT offers a barrel twist other than 1/7? And, what about that from sight that's already on the barrel? I've decided to go with Troy folding sights (unless I change my mind again), so can the stock sight be easily removed, or is there more to it?

Thanks.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, what am I missing here?

I'm trying to install the butt pad onto my skeleton stock. The butt pad came with the stock. This seems as if it should be very easy, but it's not going together as planned. My issue is with the top hole/screw for the butt pad.

Here's a picture of the 2 screws I'll be talking about.

0000285ak7.jpg

Ok, so the directions say to insert the flathead screw (A) into the butt plate and tighten. I'm guessing this is to make sure the buffer tube and buttplate are together tightly. Then it says to remove the flathead screw (A). Next step, it says to place the butt pad in place against the butt plate and install the socket cap screw (:blush: and tighten.

Problem is, the socket cap screw (:D has a much smaller diameter than the flathead screw (A). Attempting to use screw "B" in a hole that once accommodated screw "A" is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. It doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Full of questions are we? :blush:

I have been watching these videos awaiting for my AR parts to arrive.

He is using the diagrams from ar15.com.Yeah,watching a video is always better then have to wread!

Looks like it will be purty easy to do although the way my luck goes I may never get it completed

[ame]

[/ame] [ame]
[/ame]
Full of questions are we? :blush:

I have been watching these videos awaiting for my AR parts to arrive.

He is using the diagrams from ar15.com.Yeah,watching a video is always better then have to wread!

Looks like it will be purty easy to do although the way my luck goes I may never get it completed

Thank you for the videos, but they don't explain the issue I'm having with the Ace Skeleton Stock.

Thank you for the videos, but they don't explain the issue I'm having with the Ace Skeleton Stock.

Whoops! I wasn't answering your question,just poking fun at all your questions :blush:

I thought I would share the vids because I have not seen them posted anywhere,and seem to be very explanatory

Guest Mugster
Ok, what am I missing here?

I'm trying to install the butt pad onto my skeleton stock. The butt pad came with the stock. This seems as if it should be very easy, but it's not going together as planned. My issue is with the top hole/screw for the butt pad.

Here's a picture of the 2 screws I'll be talking about.

0000285ak7.jpg

Ok, so the directions say to insert the flathead screw (A) into the butt plate and tighten. I'm guessing this is to make sure the buffer tube and buttplate are together tightly. Then it says to remove the flathead screw (A). Next step, it says to place the butt pad in place against the butt plate and install the socket cap screw (:bat: and tighten.

Problem is, the socket cap screw (:P has a much smaller diameter than the flathead screw (A). Attempting to use screw "B" in a hole that once accommodated screw "A" is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. It doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Find some threads that B fits. I'd go ahead and use A in that top hole.

Try just looking at it and use common sense. The spring/plunger has to go

back and forth and be inline with the bolt carrier group. Everything else is just there to hold it in place.

Find some threads that B fits. I'd go ahead and use A in that top hole.

Try just looking at it and use common sense. The spring/plunger has to go

back and forth and be inline with the bolt carrier group. Everything else is just there to hold it in place.

Screw "B" will fit in the bottom hole, but I think one of the shorter screws (not pictured) is supposed to go in the bottom. Screw "A" will not work in the top hole. It will fit/thread into the top hole, but not with the butt pad. It's far too short to reach the threads, and the screw head is far too fat to fit in the hole of the butt stock.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Whoops! I wasn't answering your question,just poking fun at all your questions :bat:

I thought I would share the vids because I have not seen them posted anywhere,and seem to be very explanatory

Yea, I saw those videos. I watched them the day before I put together my lowe half. As I put it together, I looked at the pictures over at AR15.com. It was actually much easier than I figured it would be. I only made one mistake (that I'm aware of), and that was mixing up 2 of the detents. I was able to realize my mistake before I was complete.

Reading this thread is killin me!

I just checked the status on my upper,and LPK and its in Chattanooga :bat:

If only the brown man worked Saturdays :P --Leaves crying--

Edit; It would have only taken three days to arrive if not for the weekend.I'm not sure how quick others are,but man this is amazing to me!

Okay, the hex head, B, goes in the top and all the way through to your buffer tube. The little one goes through the bottom. Thats it!

Now, my little screw looks like the ones that hold the stock body to the the buffer tube near the receiver, its not flat! Could just be a model change over as mine is probably two years old.

Don't let the "funnel" looking hole on the top try to make you put that small one on top. Its only job is to hold the bottom of the buttpad onto the stock.

If its still giving you issues tomorrow we will need a pic of your buffer to make sure its matching up (not a carbine length :bat:) or some other distracting problem.

Oh yeah, probably going to go shooting tomorrow afternoon....:P

OK, Here are some pictures. Of course, I've already posted pictures of the screws.

The buffer length is roughly 6 inches, and the buffer and buffer spring measure roughly 13 3/4 inches.

0000288yj3.jpg

Here are 2 pictures of the butt pad.

0000286pt2.jpg

0000287nc1.jpg

Here is a picture of the butt plate. The hole on the right is actually the top hole. As you should be able to notice, that hole is much bigger than the bottom hole. The top hole is big enough for screw "A", but far too large of a hole for screw "B". But the screw head on screw "A" is far too big to fit into the butt pad.

0000289wm8.jpg

Looks like mine except the bottom hole is much smaller. Hmmmmm

Maybe it never got "trimmed" the way its supposed to? Can you look in the smaller, left hole from front or back and see if the full length of the hole is that size or is it begger inside and just not trimmed to correct size on the back?

I'm probably headed south for the afternoon, if its still not going together I can swing by and look or you can call ACE and ask them what the heck!

Screw "B" and some other screws (that came with it) will fit into the bottom hole just fine. The bottom hole doesn;t seem to be the issue. It's the top that's giving me problems. I'll try to give ACE a call.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
The Big Hex head, B is the one that goes through the top to buffer tube so if its not working, something is wrong.

Are you talking about the top (right) hole in my picture, or are you talking about the hole that's actually on the top part of the stock/butt plate? There is a hole there also. Screw "B" will thread into that hole, but only about half way.

Are you talking about the top (right) hole in my picture, or are you talking about the hole that's actually on the top part of the stock/butt plate? There is a hole there also. Screw "B" will thread into that hole, but only about half way.

Yep, it goes through the stock and into the threaded portion of the rear of the buffer tube. Wiggle it!

Yep, it goes through the stock and into the threaded portion of the rear of the buffer tube. Wiggle it!

Nope. Something must be wrong with it. It seems as if a screw of the correct length and diameter would be the solution, but I want to make sure there is no other issue(s).

Out of curiosity;is that a M4 stock,and where is it from?

Your getting me worried about mine :)

It's the ARFX - http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=760499

I'm think it's fine. I think they may have sent the wrong screw, but I can't say for sure. Everything else seems to be just fine. The only problem is that none of the supplied screws will fit the top hole when the butt pad is in place.