Need advice upgrading our TV package

jgradyc

We've decided it's time to upgrade our TV package and I'm confused by all the options. It's hard to get precise information from Comcast/Directv/Dish, which are our three local providers in Nashville. I've had all three of these providers in the past and I don't really like doing business with any of them. I need advice.

Right now, we have Directv package with a Directv recorder and a 43" 720p television, I'm going to get a non-3D 55" LED 1080p TV, but I need advice on the rest of the package. Cost is an issue because I'm paying $145/mo with Directv right now. Here is my criteria.

We will not get a premium movie package from the provider. Instead, I want to be able to stream Hulu PLus/Netflex to TV without connecting my laptop. If I can find a deal, I'll get a smart TV, but if not, I'll get a Roku 2 XD. Is this a good way to watch Hulu/Netflix without having to use my laptop? Is there a better way?

We won't watch DVDs or Blu-ray Discs so that's not a criteria. We want TVs in two different rooms, but only one location needs to be able to record shows and pause live TV.

The DVR has to be REALLY simple for my wife to use. She can handle the Directv DVR, so we thinking of getting Comcast's DVR. Is there a better option?

I've looked into OTA antennas, but we live in the hills NW of Nashville. There's a hill directly between our house and two of the local tv towers. I don't think OTA would work.

I'm leaning towards Comcast's Triple Play basic bundle of telephone
/internet/tv for $99. Plus, a second location and their DVR. Help me out here. Am I missing something important?

Edited by jgradyc
As far as the Hulu/Netflix goes, you can buy a smart Blu-ray player with built-in wi-fi for about $60 - $80. You can stream all kinds of stuff through it. We just bought a Sony from Best Buy as a Christmas gift for my girlfriend's father. He loves it.

I see that you mentioned not watching DVDs or Blu-Ray, but I thought I'd throw that out there as a fairly inexpensive method. Plus, you'll have the option, just in case.
  • Like 1

If price is an issue, beware comcast... The cost of their service will continue to rise over time and they have very little competition (if the mafia had a cable company, it would be comcast). You may also want to look into TDS (if they service your area). They provide TV, DVR and even fiber to the house.

I can stream from nearly any service between my XBOX 360 and Blu-Ray player. My Wii too if I wanted to push it. We have an RCA version of the Roku box in the bedroom, they all do wireless.

If you go with a device, remember to connect it with HDMI cables, it may seem a no brainer, but I just want to make sure. You don't get HD without HDMI cables. That means you Mr. Wii...

You can run Hulu and/or Netflix from an AppleTV.  I think they run about $99 ... You can also purchase movies and other things on it if you so decide!

I am NOT a fan of Comcast TV.  I like their internet, but I'm a DirecTV man through & through.  I get NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, and NBA League Pass ... I'll keep DirecTV till I'm old & Gray :)

Not trying to steal the thread, but I have a relevant question...what streaming devices seems to offer the most features, or at least streaming sources (channels)?  I have an Apple TV and i like some parts of it, but it seems limited on the free stuff.  Im looking to get another device for another room, and cant decide between a Smart blue ray,  Roko 2 or similar or whatever...also wonder if, since Im buying a new TV soon, if it would be smarter to buy a smart tv that might have this capability built in...decisions, decisions...lol.  Any recommendations?

Not trying to steal the thread, but I have a relevant question...what streaming devices seems to offer the most features, or at least streaming sources (channels)?  I have an Apple TV and i like some parts of it, but it seems limited on the free stuff.  Im looking to get another device for another room, and cant decide between a Smart blue ray,  Roko 2 or similar or whatever...also wonder if, since Im buying a new TV soon, if it would be smarter to buy a smart tv that might have this capability built in...decisions, decisions...lol.  Any recommendations?

I'm the OP. Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'd not even considered Apple TV. Everything Apple seems more flash than substance to me, but I'll give it a look.  I had NFL pass this year, but I'm willing to give it up. I don't mind paying for Hulu Plus or Netflix. I'll try them both and pick one. It's only $10/mo or so.

Oh, another question. Is there any way I can get service in a second room without having to pay a monthly fee? Right now, I think I'm paying $10/mo for our second room with Directv.

EDITED:  I just got off the phone with Directv because I could not find an itemized bill online. Here is an itemized list of my bill. Choice $61, HD $10, HD Extra Pack $4.99, DVR $8, 2nd Receiver $6, Premium Channels $45, NFL Sunday Ticket unknown (~$57?) = $145. I cancelled the HD Extra Pack ($4.99) and the Premium Channels. They offered me a reduced price, but I said I wasn't interested. The NFL Sun Ticket is an installment payment, so I'm not sure how much longer it will run, but regardless, I won't renew it even if I stay with Directv. I think my new bill after NFL is off will be 61+10+8+6=$85 plus taxes... so maybe $95-$100/mo.  That's still too high in my opinion, so I'm still looking.

Edited by jgradyc

Ditch the Roku idea. I have the 2XD and I hate it. I have an Apple TV and Wii and the Roku never gets used because both the other options are better. It's very unreliable, needs to be rebooted often, and often doesn't respond to the remote. Piece o' junk. Spend the extra $20 and get Apple TV.

Guest uofmeet

I think you are doing it wrong. I have the second Highest package with Directtv, HD, whole home DVR and paying only $70/mo. Love direct TV and I don't think I could ever go back to comcast cable. Call direct TV up and tell them you want to lower your bill. works for me every time. They almost always have some kind of promo going on. If that doesn't work, Just tell them you want to cancel, then they will give you almost whatever you want.

I say stay with direct TV

I think you are doing it wrong. I have the second Highest package with Directtv, HD, whole home DVR and paying only $70/mo. Love direct TV and I don't think I could ever go back to comcast cable. Call direct TV up and tell them you want to lower your bill. works for me every time. They almost always have some kind of promo going on. If that doesn't work, Just tell them you want to cancel, then they will give you almost whatever you want.

I say stay with direct TV

The second highest package is $74.99/month!!! How long does this last until they jack up the prices? How can I get this? Do I just say, "Give me Choice Ultimate, HD, and a whole home DVR with two locations. I'll pay $70 or I'm taking my business elsewhere?"  I don't know how this game works.

Oh, another question. Is there any way I can get service in a second room without having to pay a monthly fee? Right now, I think I'm paying $10/mo for our second room with Directv.

Not sure exactly what ya mean, but I access Netflix on the same account on my Apple TV, my Wii, and on my computer...

Not sure exactly what ya mean, but I access Netflix on the same account on my Apple TV, my Wii, and on my computer...

You can access your account on as many systems you want... I would suggest getting a Samsung smart TV it has netflix built in no box to buy or worry about

We dropped Charter cable recently and went with Direct TV. For the first 12 months we will be paying around $68.00 a month, then the second 12 months around $80 a month.

We have got the whole home deal. The main unit and three "satillite" units. We have the Choice Package deal.

Since we have used NetFlix DVD plan for many years (hated that they split the streaming off of it) we did not need any premium channels as we had already seen all the movies offered. So as soon as the 3 free months of premium expired we dropped it. I have also went ahead and set up the NFL Sunday Night ticket (which was also free this season) to not renew. So, our prices should not be rising.

It is the "perks" that will have your prices high, that is thier gravy.

The promotion that we got in on has expired, but I am sure they will be running another one. If you stay with direct tv of course they will include "free perks" for a limited amount of time. Just make sure you cancel those un-needed "perks" in time.

Guest uofmeet

The second highest package is $74.99/month!!! How long does this last until they jack up the prices? How can I get this? Do I just say, "Give me Choice Ultimate, HD, and a whole home DVR with two locations. I'll pay $70 or I'm taking my business elsewhere?"  I don't know how this game works.

It does take a little work. I called to cancel, but even before then I would call up when one promotion ends, and get another. It will go back up eventually, and when it does, I will call them and see what other kind of deals they have. They would rather you pay something, even if it is less than what they want; but they don't want to loose you as a customer. But, this last time around, I did call to cancel, got sunday ticket for free, and got the low price I am paying now. It is like a game. A few minutes of my time to save some money, works for me. I do this with all my services except for ATT, still have unlimited data on my iphone so I am not touching that one. There are far to many people out there like you use to be who would just pay the bill and not pay attention. So they aren't hurting. Call them up and give it a try. Just tell them you need to lower your bill and see what kind of promotions you have going on. And if they are not playing ball, hang up and call back and you can try the cancel route(you will get a diff department which has more room to "play" with pricing). I have satellite radio and when I called up  to cancel, got 6 mos of service on 2 devices for under $50. It never hurts to ask.

I am in Wilson county just outside Nashville and have TDS Telecom.  I have their Advanced TV product, 1 DVR, two additional HD set top boxes, phone service and internet (15MB) for $125.00 a month.  I hate the other providers have a stranglehold on Nashville.

What I meant by this is that I want TV service in two rooms in my house. Right now, Directv charges me $10 just to have a receiver in the second room. It seems to me that once I get the line into the house, I should somehow be able to send it to as many rooms as I like... somehow.

I only want it in a second room, however.

Another vote for Apple TV. It's literally all we use now. I rip DVDs from Netflix to stream to my Apple TV and use instant play as well. We buy new shows if we want. I figured out the cost and if we bought 2 entire seasons of a new show every month then it is still cheaper than DirectTV. Then you can just get the very basic service if you must have live TV and maybe a sports channel if you need that.

What I meant by this is that I want TV service in two rooms in my house. Right now, Directv charges me $10 just to have a receiver in the second room. It seems to me that once I get the line into the house, I should somehow be able to send it to as many rooms as I like... somehow.

I only want it in a second room, however.

I believe there's a bunch of court cases stating it's yours once inside your home. You can purchase your own box if you'd like or hook the coax directly TV. Your TV won't be able to decode all the channels though. Likely just channels 1-120.